2016 POTUS Election Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
That was actually me.

Your'e reaching because you don't agree with his position on those issues. Those examples don't explain how he didn't take the high road?
Let me get this straight.
1) Suggesting that a president shouldn't speak on topics of both Police being killed unjustly or citizens being killed unjustly is ridiculous. Specifically since both police shootings are under investigation by the DOJ and the officer in one of the cases has been charged.
2) He suggested bias still remains in every institution, including police departments? You disagree?
3) This is just stupid

Coincidental that they all happen to be issues of race & you got your list from an article in the Conservative Daily Wire lambasting the President.
I did not say he shouldn't have spoken on those issues. (although he was usually premature in jumping on them), I was merely noting that taking the high road means you don't talk about these things at the memorial for 5 offices who were just slain while protecting a BLM protest. He as he always did used tragedies to push something he wanted to push, not to be respectful to those that had fallen. That may have been where the cuts came from and I should have properly credited the site. There were 7 or 8 things listed.
Bias in itself is just a vague word and he and the left have often used it to imply racism. Even Hillary (we all know you have implicit biases) tried to make people feel as though it's always a bad thing to have them. I am biased toward Ford vehicles over Dodge and Chevy.
But let's be honest, when they used bias (especially regarding police) it was to infer that police kill blacks more because of an implicit bias toward them. All of which is statistically untrue. They were both, along with media pushing police brutality is rampant and it's because of a bunch of racist hicks in uniforms. There are plenty of other posts in threads regarding that and I don't need to rehash it here. (Sorry I digressed)

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
It's our system, I am never going to complain about losing the electoral college. What we need to do is increase participation.

National Holiday for election day, Early Voting, more polling places, every citizen is automatically registered when they turn 18, and ranked ballots effectively ending two party duopoly (so we don't only have our only viable options being a shit sandwich and Giant Douche like this year)
I love the national holiday for voting idea. Establish a weekend devoted to it. I like the more poling places and auto registration. I really hate early voting except for military and others out of the country for service reason. And they need to cut the nonsense on voter ID and just do it.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It's our system, I am never going to complain about losing the electoral college. What we need to do is increase participation.

National Holiday for election day, Early Voting, more polling places, every citizen is automatically registered when they turn 18, and ranked ballots effectively ending two party duopoly (so we don't only have our only viable options being a shit sandwich and Giant Douche like this year)
All stuff that (R) will fight to the grave because it doesn't benefit the party.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Of course they said that now, as if they have a choice. But she sure as heck was about as insulting him and talking trash beforehand. And yes, I know he called her Pocahontas.
But as usual, you step around the other point. Trump has been called names and insulted (racist, bigot, Nazi, Hitler) just like the former president. Yes, you have idiots that made it about race, but others (like me) just didn't like his politics. It is what current politics has devolved into. Your side has no merit therefore should be completely shut out and denigrated (regardless which side you're on). None of them act as if they want what's best for the betterment of the nation. Just their individual party's platform. All of them suck.
And I have disagreed with you in the past regarding Obama and his policies because I believed he was a pompous ass but mostly because his policies hurt the country (ie. Obamacare, foreign policy, divisiveness, energy). Trump is a pompous ass too but I think there are things he wants to do that will be better for the country as a whole than anything Hillary would have done.

As a caveat, I look forward to vigorous discussion with you the next four to eight years as well.
Unless you can look at Trump just as critically as you have Obama and Clinton there can be no discussion.

The 1st place is admitting how divisive he has been and why.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless you can look at Trump just as critically as you have Obama and Clinton there can be no discussion.

So do we wait until he is actually President before doing that? I'm just sort of waiting for him to do thimgs that actually matter. Right now it's like arguing about preseason football. Just sort of feel like none of this matters.

shane

DCC 4Life
The electoral college is the only thing keeping the entire country from being run like Detroit. Anyone who wants to scrap it should have their head examined.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So do we wait until he is actually President before doing that? I'm just sort of waiting for him to do thimgs that actually matter. Right now it's like arguing about preseason football. Just sort of feel like none of this matters.
Bingo.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am mainly talking about what he is going to do with his business interest as much heat as Hillary was getting you would think that Trump would be under as much scrutiny.

This is especially alarming.

Imagine Hillary saying that about the Clinton Foundation.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

There will always be discussion with you sir. We just can't help it and I like that fact. I will give my honest opinion of things he does good and bad and expect the same from you, but again, they are just opinions and we do our best to base them on information we have available.

I think he has been divisive to those that think illegal immigration should be tolerated and a wall shouldn't be built. Has he said it in a manner that is offensive sometimes; yes he has. I can tell you from personal experience that there are illegal immigrants who are nothing but good people trying to gain a better life for themselves and family. But...they are still here illegally and are still taking advantage of multiple public systems that can't account for them because they are here "illegally". Should they be sent back? It isn't feasible to send everyone back. But.......you make some amends for them to stay temporarily and do your best to make sure no one else comes illegally (the wall or other form of border protection) before you allow them stay permanently. As to citizenship? It would have to be a long time off IMHO. Criminal illegal aliens you incarcerate or deport immediately.

Has he said other things that offend, yes he has. He is not a polished politician like Hillary or President Obama. Who have both said things that are offensive to people in this country. Not all, but many.
Has his message appealed to all universally? No, but his perceived is also based on political hatred of him by many on the left and even by some on the right. He wasn't my candidate of choice, but he was, again IMHO, the better of the choices between a person I considered an unconvicted felon, a liar of the highest order, a con artist (Clinton Foundation related) and the poster child for everything wrong in DC and the federal government.

But I also believe that President Obama, while not offensive in speech, was as divisive as any president in recent history and you either don't see it or can't admit it. So there is that...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am mainly talking about what he is going to do with his business interest as much heat as Hillary was getting you would think that Trump would be under as much scrutiny.

This is especially alarming.

Imagine Hillary saying that about the Clinton Foundation.
Well to be fair the man has built a business empire over his career. It's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to just turn it over to someone else. I'm sure you'd have the same reservations. It's a little different then the Clinton Foundation.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Well to be fair the man has built a business empire over his career. It's not exactly the easiest thing in the world to just turn it over to someone else. I'm sure you'd have the same reservations. It's a little different then the Clinton Foundation.
To be fair?

When you run for president there are sacrifices you must make and they have been made by presidents throughout history.

What's the difference with the Clinton Foundation?

The issue was using your status and office to enrich yourself or your family why is that different now?

Especially when that enrichment can be much more direct?

What does easy have to do with anything does it not bother you he is claiming that these things don't apply to him?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What does easy have to do with anything does it not bother you he is claiming that these things don't apply to him?
Because it's not a big deal in my opinion. And it's impossible to truly set up a blind trust in his case. I'm ok with having his kids run the business.

Doing that actually is in no way unethical. You have to do something additional. Which is what Hillary did with her foundation the entire time she was in office.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Because it's not a big deal in my opinion. And it's impossible to truly set up a blind trust in his case. I'm ok with having his kids run the business.

Doing that actually is in no way unethical. You have to do something additional. Which is what Hillary did with her foundation the entire time she was in office.

What did she do that was additional?

Trump has already had meetings with foreign diplomats and discussed business dealings, how is that different from anything Hillary did?

You really don't see how hypocritical you are being.

So it's ok for Trump to make money but not Hillary or do you trust that Trump is going to be totally altruistic?

townsend

Banned
So are you a fan of Jeff Sessions?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Interesting he got Nikki Haley. She was ouspoken on him during the primaries. Just so happens SC's Lt. Governor is a big Trump guy. Coincidence?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What did she do that was additional?

Trump has already had meetings with foreign diplomats and discussed business dealings, how is that different from anything Hillary did?

You really don't see how hypocritical you are being.

So it's ok for Trump to make money but not Hillary or do you trust that Trump is going to be totally altruistic?
Um she gave gorvernment favors in exchange for donations. And no its not hypocritcal.

I'm saying wait until Trump uses his government position specifically to benefit his business ventures before you scream out in rage.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The foundation was receiving monetary payment from foreign governments and foreign individuals which is a conflict of interest with Hillary Clintons with her role as Secretary of State. Totally different than the Trumph situation. If and when the trumph businesses begin to receive money or contracts from the government then there will be a conflict of interest. For now however there is no conflict for him owning business or having input in them. As long as he discloses his ownership it all above board as long as he or his business interest do not profit or have an unfair atvantage in governmental matters.

townsend

Banned
The foundation was receiving monetary payment from foreign governments and foreign individuals which is a conflict of interest with Hillary Clintons with her role as Secretary of State. Totally different than the Trumph situation. If and when the trumph businesses begin to receive money or contracts from the government then there will be a conflict of interest. For now however there is no conflict for him owning business or having input in them. As long as he discloses his ownership it all above board as long as he or his business interest do not profit or have an unfair atvantage in governmental matters.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/capitalbusiness/2016/11/18/9da9c572-ad18-11e6-977a-1030f822fc35_story.html

In interviews with a dozen diplomats, many of whom declined to be named because they were not authorized to speak about anything related to the next U.S. president, some said spending money at Trump’s hotel is an easy, friendly gesture to the new president.

“Why wouldn’t I stay at his hotel blocks from the White House, so I can tell the new president, ‘I love your new hotel!’ Isn’t it rude to come to his city and say, ‘I am staying at your competitor?’ ” said one Asian diplomat.

Guests at the Trump hotel have begun parking themselves in the lobby, ordering expensive cocktails, hoping to see one of the Trump family members or the latest Cabinet pick. One foreign official hoped Trump, famous for the personal interest he takes in his businesses, might check the guest logs himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom