Will Tony Romo even be active Sunday?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If we cut him so that he can "pick" his team I'm going to be really pissed. Even if I can get a second or third round pick for the guy I'm thrilled. Those are starting WRs/OTs/DL and such.
There is no damn way I release him so he can find his own team. That would be .... wait for it... monumentally stupid.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
No way do I play Romo now. You are on the cusp of being able to get a decent haul for him in a trade. If he gets hurt, that goes out the window. Now, I can understand the argument that he would fetch more if he played and played well.
Yep. And hell, if he plays well I'm not even sure he enhances his value. I think teams already would expect him to play well. Probably, he can only hurt his trade value in the event he gets hurt or doesn't play well.

There's very little upside to playing him and potentially a lot of downside.

dallen

Senior Tech
If we cut him so that he can "pick" his team I'm going to be really pissed. Even if I can get a second or third round pick for the guy I'm thrilled. Those are starting WRs/OTs/DL and such.
Let him pick and then work out the trade. If they aren't willing to pay what he's worth make him pick another team

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Let him pick and then work out the trade. If they aren't willing to pay what he's worth make him pick another team
Yep. And, you start that shit early in the offseason. Don't do this waiting bullshit this organization is prone to do.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Most teams aren't as naive as our fan base. Romo hasn't played meaningful snaps in over a year and when he did in 2015 he didn't look very good. Relying on game tape from 2 years ago reduces his trade value significantly.

And yes Dak is more durable then Romo. But if Romo can't withstand a half of garbage football what is the point? Why would a team trade for a guy who can't last for a half of football? Why even have a backup who isn't capable of staying healthy for that long. You only have 2 active QBs. If Dak gets hurt and Romo comes in and gets hurt you are really screwed. Are you going to run Dunbar at QB?

I love how Tyron Smith being out is reason to not play Romo. But our starter in Dak is ok to take the hits.
Meaningful snaps shouldn't be a consideration if the idea is to plug positions to get the last game done and save the starters.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

Tell us how in tune you are with the fan bases of all teams, Cowboysrockstile55.
I didn't say the fan bases of other teams. I said the actual teams themselves, meaning the people who run them. And yes, I think guys like John Elway would like to see Romo actually throw a pass this season before sending a premium draft pick our way. But I guess maybe you know him better.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think the organization owes some respect to Romo to at least ask him if he wants to take the field against Philadelphia. The man has claimed every record in Dallas a QB can have and you don't just treat these kind of players like a doormat.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meaningful snaps shouldn't be a consideration if the idea is to plug positions to get the last game done and save the starters.
Well shit, maybe we should just forfeit then. I mean if the only thing that can happen is bad, then we should probably just call it in and tell them we won't be playing, just give us the loss.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well shit, maybe we should just forfeit then. I mean if the only thing that can happen is bad, then we should probably just call it in and tell them we won't be playing, just give us the loss.
Well isn't that how everyone is treating this game? Isn't the idea of playing Sanchez pretty much a walk away statement? I do not concur with letting up in any game but if the coaches do give the starters a rest I think Romo would be a better option than Sanchez.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well isn't that how everyone is treating this game? Isn't the idea of playing Sanchez pretty much a walk away statement? I do not concur with letting up in any game but if the coaches do give the starters a rest I think Romo would be a better option than Sanchez.
Well from the sound of it Dak is still going to play at least a half. Because not playing live action for 3 weeks isn't good at keeping a QB sharp. Same thing with a lot of guys on the roster I'm sure. When a team goes too long without playing live action with each other then tend to be rusty and out of synch. Since we already have a first round bye in the playoffs, you really hate to have guys basically sitting idle for 3 weeks straight. Now of course guys with injuries are going to sit. Because being healthy is probably more important then keeping a player sharp.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think the organization owes some respect to Romo to at least ask him if he wants to take the field against Philadelphia. The man has claimed every record in Dallas a QB can have and you don't just treat these kind of players like a doormat.
Getting your backup his first live reps in a regular season game in over a year isn't being treated like a doormat.

Romo should be the one playing, although I understand why he isn't, even if it isn't in the best interests of the team. Now, if he gets released for nothing, then I will truly be pissed and I think it may even tarnish my view of Romo, since if it happens I'm certain one of the primary reasons are the sweet nothings he's whispered into Jerry's ear over the past few weeks.

As for the Eagles game, the plan should be clear. Go through the practice week like normal, have the starters play about a half so that they're basically going through a normal game week and then the second half should be the McFadden/Morris/Butler/Mayle/Escobar show.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Getting your backup his first live reps in a regular season game in over a year isn't being treated like a doormat.

Romo should be the one playing, although I understand why he isn't, even if it isn't in the best interests of the team. Now, if he gets released for nothing, then I will truly be pissed and I think it may even tarnish my view of Romo, since if it happens I'm certain one of the primary reasons are the sweet nothings he's whispered into Jerry's ear over the past few weeks.

As for the Eagles game, the plan should be clear. Go through the practice week like normal, have the starters play about a half so that they're basically going through a normal game week and then the second half should be the McFadden/Morris/Butler/Mayle/Escobar show.
I don't think I understand your post. My premise is that if the organization plans to sit the starters in the second half of the Philly game they should ask Romo to fill in rather than just arbitrally inserting Sanchez. If they do that then Romo is being disrespected.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
They definitely should draft a OT in the draft. Green wasn't healthy at Florida and hasn't been since. Can't count on him but the Cowboys probably will try.
If Zack Banner from USC is available in the 2nd or 3rd, I'd give him a strong look. He is a really nice RT prospect.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jerry has a serious love problem with Romo. He is seriously more concerned about our backup QB getting hurt then our starting QB. Romo absolutely should be playing the second half against the Eagles. Hell he should have been playing in the fourth quarter against the Lions. I'm not sure I have ever seen a backup get such special treatment. Plus personally I'd like to feature Romo a little bit for a potential trade. It's not like other NFL teams get to see these "super special practices."
The guest host on Mike & Mike pretty much said the same thing yesterday. He thought it was borderline disrespectful to Dak to leave him out there late int he 4th qtr of a 42-21 game. He also mentioned that it was almost as if they were purposely exposing him to injury just so they can finally get Romo in there.

I won't go as far as the intentional injury thing, but I generally share the same opinion. It's as if they've placed more value on Romo's feelings than on winning a championship. It's one of the strangest things I've ever seen.

Every other team in the league would have their backup out there helping him to get ready in the event that he needs to play in an emergency situation. But not our dumbass franchise. And they wonder why they've largely stunk over the last 20+ years.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Another thing that bothers me is these jackasses are just assuming that Romo will be able to roll out of bed if needed and save the day. After such a long layoff, I seriously doubt it.

We saw what he looked like last year after the long layoff. 2 INTs vs the Dolphins and 3 more vs the Panthers.

So why oh why would one just assume that Romo will be able to just step into the lineup cold and look like he did in 2014.

It's asinine mismanagement of the roster, IMO.

Last edited:

1bigfan13

Staff member
I heard them talking on the radio about how they don't need to play him because of all his experience. If something happened to Dak he could step right in. My thought was, When has he ever stepped right in after a long absence and had an acceptable performance. If he is truly your back up, get him in the game to knock some rust off dangit.
Exactly.

We have a chance to win a Super Bowl this year. Every roster/personnel decision should be made with the mindset of what's best for the team NOW and for the playoffs. To hell with protecting Romo's ego and trade value. If he's a true team player and wants what's best for the team (which he says he does), he'd have no problem playing on Sunday.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The guest host on Mike & Mike pretty much said the same thing yesterday. He thought it was borderline disrespectful to Dak to leave him out there late int he 4th qtr of a 42-21 game. He also mentioned that it was almost as if they were purposely exposing him to injury just so they can finally get Romo in there.

Yeah, it was an incredibly dumb take.

Top Bottom