User Tag List

Page 51 of 73 FirstFirst ... 41495051525361 ... LastLast

Thread: 2018 Random Cowboys Stuff Thread...

Free at last, free at last. Now lets get back to the future, Marty.

Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    Dallas has more players hitting the prime years of their deals than Philly does, but many of them are young enough that we could also restructure to sign a player we really want.

They haven't found one they want that is worth the cost.

We arm wave about that all we want, but whom are you thinking of specifically that Dallas should have gone after?

Philly has always been a FA-happy organization, and they only really won anything last year after having built through the draft. Sure they had the Jefferey signing, but that was not the difference-making move. It rarely is.

The biggest thing was a coach in place who was clued-in, in charge, and who understood how to respond to adversity.

This year, do you think Dallas should have traded for Michael Bennett after having franchised DLaw, optioned Irving, and drafted Charleton? He filled a clear need for Philly and Seattle is rebuilding. Philly was able to do that by restructuring Lane Johnson.
    I don't think you are right about Philly. They didn't finally win due to building through the draft. A LOT of their roster is through free agency or trade.

Just off the top of my head:

McLeod
    Jenkins
    The corner from Buffalo who's name is escaping me
    Robinson
    Bradham
    Jernigan
    Long
    Jeffrey
    Tory Smith
    Ajai
    Blount
    Wisniewski
    Warmack
    Peters

I mean, that's a lot right there and I'm probably missing a bunch.

(Not sure where you'd consider Foles since he's actually both a draftee and a free agent.)

4. The following user likes this post:

I agree Philly has always made plays in FA. Hell it always seems like they make an early splash in FA.

But I think they’re now getting some major homegrown cornerstones too, namely Wentz but also Barnett, Agholar, Matthews, and Hicks. We already know about Johnson, Logan, Cox, and Ertz. Even Foles is technically their choice, and Sidney Jones is slow cooking for next year.

You could normally count on their drafts being a crapshow, but now these guys are sticking. I think they’re getting the coaching they need.

One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Genghis Khan View Post
    I don't think you are right about Philly. They didn't finally win due to building through the draft. A LOT of their roster is through free agency or trade.

Just off the top of my head:

McLeod
    Jenkins
    The corner from Buffalo who's name is escaping me
    Robinson
    Bradham
    Jernigan
    Long
    Jeffrey
    Tory Smith
    Ajai
    Blount
    Wisniewski
    Warmack
    Peters

I mean, that's a lot right there and I'm probably missing a bunch.

(Not sure where you'd consider Foles since he's actually both a draftee and a free agent.)
    Just the y in Ajayi's name.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    I hope this works. I'd really like to see Dez and Dak working together all offseason too. Those two need to really work on building chemistry with each other. Those two need to work on getting on the same page and at least get the completion percentage between them up into the 60% range. When all you're doing is throwing 50/50 balls of course your percentage is going to be down near 50%. You just can't live and die by that with your number 1 WR. I've always liked Dez and I think he is loved among teammates. But I also don't want to keep hoping that Dez and Dak somehow become Dez and Romo. It's just not going to happen. It's different QBs with different skill sets. There is no reason though if Dak can complete nearly 70% of his balls thrown to Terrance Williams that he shouldn't be able to do similar with Dez.

Im thinking 9 years into his NFL career is too late to be optimistic. Old habits and, more to the point, an old and declining body don't lend themselves to new skills readily.
    History does not favor a player with 3 down seasons hoping for a sudden renewal.
    Free at last, free at last. Now lets get back to the future, Marty.

Dez can be a beast, but he's wearing down. Either he evolves his game or he needs to go away.

Troy Aikman was similar in that his game relied on toughness in the pocket and gunning a 15-20 yard pass on a rope.

He couldn't keep that up later in his career. Just watch his weak passes in the 1998-1999 playoff loss vs Arizona and compare with his great performances 6-7 years earlier. His back could no longer take those vicious hits standing in the pocket.

Dak can't throw those perfectly leading or back-shoulder passes, so Dez need to refine timing routes with his QB.

Blew my mind yesterday when I saw Dez would be working with a route coach. A 30 year old NFL WR taking route lessons? Hey at least he cares enough to do it. But wow, how is running good routes a mystery after 9 years in the league?

Quote Originally Posted by Couchcoach View Post
    Blew my mind yesterday when I saw Dez would be working with a route coach. A 30 year old NFL WR taking route lessons? Hey at least he cares enough to do it. But wow, how is running good routes a mystery after 9 years in the league?
    Well I'd say that route running is something you should always be working at. I'm sure Larry Fitzgerald still works his ass off to improve his route running ability. It's not something that you just learn and can sort of ignore the rest of your career. It's something you need to constantly work on to keep it sharp. And frankly Dez is kind of dull at it and with his decrease in explosiveness it couldn't be more important than now.