Tony Romo Press Conference

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
At the end of the 1992 season Joe Montana played a half of football at the end of the reg season. Steve Young started the whole year and playoffs afterwards.

That one half was amazing and a built momentum for the trade of Montana and a defensive back to the Chiefs for a 1st round pick. Hell, the 49ers themselves half-wanted to keep Montana.

Montana had injury troubles similar to Romo's and was almost exactly the same age as Romo.

What a sendoff that would be. Romo behind this line with Zeke and the WRs playing the way they are. Sick.
I hope this team continues winning and eventually locks up homefield before week 17, because I would love to give him that full game against a team like Philly who will probably still be in the hunt for the wild card.

Even if the game didn't matter for us, we've already seen how Garrett approaches a season finale and I would expect him to do the same this season if it works out that way.

So while the game itself may not be of consequence, it could still serve as a great opportunity for Romo to get going as he'll be playing with all the starters against a quality opponent looking to give us hell.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Unless we just skate on through to about a 14-2 or 13-3 record (which is very possible) there is going to be a time where Garrett and Linehan will seriously consider putting Romo back in. Hell, had it not been for that 4th quarter against the Eagles I think it's very likely that we would've seen him start a game by now.

Yea, it's Dak's team and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder, until he does. Something just tells me Romo hasn't taken his last snap in Dallas.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Unless we just skate on through to about a 14-2 or 13-3 record (which is very possible) there is going to be a time where Garrett and Linehan will seriously consider putting Romo back in. Hell, had it not been for that 4th quarter against the Eagles I think it's very likely that we would've seen him start a game by now.

Yea, it's Dak's team and he doesn't have to look over his shoulder, until he does. Something just tells me Romo hasn't taken his last snap in Dallas.
The way I look at it is that Dak has earned the opportunity to lose a couple game and still start. If we were 5-4, the hook is quick because a loss or two will cost you the playoffs. But at 8-1 if Dak has earned the chance to lose a couple games in my opinion. Know that if Dak does have a couple of bad games we are still right there in the thick of it for best record in the NFC. It's not fair to expect him to never lose a game.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Guys, this Ravens defense will provide a major challenge for us. They will likely slow Zeke, and force Dak to bear the brunt of offensive firepower.
It will be a supreme test yet again. I think Dak rises to the challenge.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Guys, this Ravens defense will provide a major challenge for us. They will likely slow Zeke, and force Dak to bear the brunt of offensive firepower.
Yep, one of the best defenses in the NFL and one of the worst offenses in the NFL. It's the type of team I expect us to do really well against but you just never know. The Ravens are 5-4 but lets face it, 2 of those wins came against the Browns and 1 of them against the Jags. I just don't think they are a very good team. They've basically lost to all the decent teams on their schedule and beat all the terrible teams or injured teams. To me this is sort of your typical 8-8 type team.

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
I don't think so... I believe Balt shows up to make a statement, but Dallas will be at home riding a huge wave of good vibes, momentum, positive chemistry and a true team-first attitude. Dak has shown himself to be up to the challenge, and I think following Romo's speech, he comes out with his most dominant performance yet.

I can see Zeke having a tougher time than Dak in this one.

Dallas 30
Balt 16

Hawkeye19

Brand New Member
I hope this team continues winning and eventually locks up homefield before week 17, because I would love to give him that full game against a team like Philly who will probably still be in the hunt for the wild card.

Even if the game didn't matter for us, we've already seen how Garrett approaches a season finale and I would expect him to do the same this season if it works out that way.

So while the game itself may not be of consequence, it could still serve as a great opportunity for Romo to get going as he'll be playing with all the starters against a quality opponent looking to give us hell.

I'd love to see this outcome too... Give Romo a chance to showcase his ability on the field. Will only help him and us in the offseason, not to mention that it would be awesome for his last regular season game to be against Philly and he gets to shut them out of the playoffs.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Romo asked for a chance to compete for the starting job and was told no.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Before stepping aside, Tony Romo asked for a chance to compete

Posted by Darin Gantt
ARLINGTON, TX - SEPTEMBER 30: Tony Romo of the Dallas Cowboys watches a game between the Tampa Bay Rays and the Texas Rangers at Globe Life Park in Arlington on September 30, 2016 in Arlington, Texas.

Yes, Tony Romo stepped aside with grace and class this week, acknowledging that the Cowboys were Dak Prescott’s team to lead at this point.

But before he did, the longtime Cowboys quarterback tried one last comeback, which put the bosses who love him in the hard position of saying no.

Via Albert Breer of TheMMQB.com, Romo went to team officials last week and asked for a chance to compete with Prescott for the starting job in practice, which realistically is the kind of thing that can happen in August but not in November when you’re in the middle of a playoff push.

“Tony’s smart,” executive vice president Stephen Jones said. “He’s very bright. And so when he came out and said it, in the end, I don’t think it took him long to figure that wouldn’t be a great thing for the team. We’ve got a good thing, and no one wants Dak looking over his shoulder.”

So with that, Romo pushed through the stages of grief to what looked like acceptance and acknowledged what an eight-game winning streak made inevitable.

Because their starting quarterback is a rookie, he needs all the snaps he can get to prepare himself for a game, so the idea of splitting practice between him and Romo was a non-starter.

“I think he understands that,” Jones said of Romo. “As a competitor, does he want it? Yes. He wouldn’t be in the NFL if he didn’t have that burning in his belly. He’s dying to get out there. And we talked all offseason, he’s never been this fired up about a team, he couldn’t wait. And now to see it work like he thought it would, and the team doing something special, and to want back in, that’s not selfish. It’s just hard.

“He’s tremendously unselfish, because he understands it.”

Of course, there are more questions to answer down the line, as to how this plays out the rest of this season and offseason. But for now, Romo is playing nice, and taking one for the team they built for him to lead.

I thought someone had already posted it but maybe not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd love to see this outcome too... Give Romo a chance to showcase his ability on the field. Will only help him and us in the offseason, not to mention that it would be awesome for his last regular season game to be against Philly and he gets to shut them out of the playoffs.
Yeah if we lock things up early I'd do a half and half thing. I'd let Dak start the game and then give Romo the second half. You don't want Dak to get rusty sitting for a few weeks before playing a meaningful snap. But at the same time you want to get some of your starters some rest.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
And rightfully so.

How you set up a "competition" with live games going on is impossible.

If Prescott shits the bed, you put Romo in. It is not that hard.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
And rightfully so.

How you set up a "competition" with live games going on is impossible.

If Prescott shits the bed, you put Romo in. It is not that hard.
This is correct. You don't want to take away 1st team practice snaps from your starter.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
This is correct. You don't want to take away 1st team practice snaps from your starter.
Garrett creating "extra" reps for Romo is something I don't quite get. Isn't there some monitoring of practices and length? How can he create extra reps?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Garrett creating "extra" reps for Romo is something I don't quite get. Isn't there some monitoring of practices and length? How can he create extra reps?
Hard to imagine he is unless he is taking them from Dak.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
Hard to imagine he is unless he is taking them from Dak.
They said what was going to happen is, Dak will get all of his normal reps... then in order to get Romo a handful of reps, will go lighter in the other team drills (individual, 7-on-7, etc.) so they won't violate the CBA. I guess they can only get so many snaps during practice, but it's up to the team to allocate where and how those snaps are used.

p1_

DCC 4Life
If Prescott shits the bed, you put Romo in.
At this point, that's difficult to fathom. If he were going to shit the bed, I think we would have seen the slightest bit of evidence.
I don't think it's gonna happen.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
At this point, that's difficult to fathom. If he were going to shit the bed, I think we would have seen the slightest bit of evidence.
I don't think it's gonna happen.
As a normal course I would agree with you but in the event some defensive coordination was to put together a set of scenes that kept him off balance and making wrong decisions he could as the saying goes crap in his mess kit due to lack of experience. It's not a likely thing with the balance the team has but it is a possibility.

Top Bottom