Lions Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Sit them all. Let them get healthy for the playoff run.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member
Jason Garrett: Focus hasn’t changed, Cowboys will play to win
Posted by Michael David Smith on December 23, 2016, 12:11 PM EST

The Cowboys clinched home-field advantage throughout the NFC playoffs when the Giants lost last night, but that doesn’t change their approach to the regular season.

Dallas coach Jason Garrett said today that he told his players having the No. 1 seed locked up will have no bearing on the upcoming Monday night game against the Lions.

“Our focus is on what we need to do today to prepare to play our best football on Monday night,” Garrett said.

When asked whether he thought he could rest his starters at some point in the next two weeks, Garrett again said he’s not focused on that.

“We don’t really think about that. We’re focused on practicing and playing as well as we can for this Monday night game against Detroit,” Garrett said.

Asked specifically about whether Tony Romo could get some playing time, Garrett simply reiterated that his team is playing to win.

“We anticipate everyone being in the same roles they’ve been in,” Garrett said.

That means Dak Prescott will remain on the field and Romo will remain on the sideline.

data

Forbes #1
Get ready for screen capture when Jason Garrett winks after an onside kick.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys will approach Monday as a must-win game
1:32 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett quickly acknowledged the team's clinching of home-field advantage and its second NFC East title in three years at Friday's morning meeting, but the championship hats and T-shirts won't be given out until after practice.

Even then, Garrett wants the players to give them away to someone they care about, because there are bigger things ahead.

Before the Cowboys can entertain a playoff run, they have two regular-season games remaining, starting Monday night against the Detroit Lions.

Even with everything sewn up, the Cowboys will play as if it is a must win.

That thinking could change for the Week 17 meeting against the Philadelphia Eagles, but Garrett's focus was on Friday's practice and Friday's practice only.

"We're focused on practicing and playing as well as we can in this game on Monday night against Detroit," Garrett said.

Garrett wanted little to do with the Tony Romo question, as well. Will he get work in the final two games? Does it make sense to get him some work? Romo has started and finished just two games since the end of the 2014 season.

"Again, we're focused on practicing as well as we can practice and playing the best game we can play on Monday night and the preparation leading up to that is critical for us," Garrett said, "and we anticipate everyone being in the same roles they've been in."

Even Jerry Jones backed away from Romo questions in his Friday appearance on 105.3 FM The Fan in Dallas. Just last week, Jones acknowledged stirring up the masses with his comments from time to time. Now? He wouldn't bite either.

"I'm not going to answer you because I don't want to get anything going at all," Jones said. "So, let's leave it at that."

Jones did add Romo does not need game reps to shake off the rust of such a long layoff. Romo has been back to practice full-time since the middle of November and has received first-team snaps.

"I have to pinch myself to think about where we are at the quarterback position knowing how critical a setback or an injury is to any position, but especially at that position as we look to this playoff," Jones said. "That would be very near the top of my list what we've got at the position. No matter what comes our way that would be right at the top of my list for thankfulness here at Christmas."

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Sit them all. Let them get healthy for the playoff run.
The only one that makes me nervous is Tyron. If we had Chaz it would be simple. Chaz could hold down the LT spot for a couple of games without a problem. But with that turd we have at swing tackle now I'm really afraid of exposing Dak to piss poor protection. But Lawrence, Claiborne, Durant and Thornton are cool to sit. No reason to rush them back and sitting Lawrence will allow Gregory more snaps to get in the swing of things hopefully.

Cotton

Staff member
The only one that makes me nervous is Tyron. If we had Chaz it would be simple. Chaz could hold down the LT spot for a couple of games without a problem. But with that turd we have at swing tackle now I'm really afraid of exposing Dak to piss poor protection. But Lawrence, Claiborne, Durant and Thornton are cool to sit. No reason to rush them back and sitting Lawrence will allow Gregory more snaps to get in the swing of things hopefully.
Well, let me help ease your worries. Chaz Green is healthy and should be able to play the last two games.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Final Thoughts: Handling Tyron's Injury, Gregory's Snaps, Dime D; More

Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:54 PM CST

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

FRISCO, Texas – With an altered schedule due to Monday night football, the final notebook of the week falls on Christmas Eve.

Hopefully this finds you enjoying the holidays with some loved ones. The Eagles already kicked the holiday weekend off in style by handing the Cowboys the NFC East and homefield advantage in the playoffs.

That’s not likely to change the way the Cowboys handle this game, though. It’s been established that the Cowboys expect to play for the win against Detroit on Monday, so here’s what I’ll be looking for in this primetime matchup – the fourth straight primetime game this team has played this year.

•Look for Randy Gregory to get significant snaps Monday night against the Lions -- there will be no pitch count here. With the injury to DeMarcus Lawrence, Gregory and Benson Mayowa have been splitting reps in his spot. My guess is that Mayowa will start, but we have seen Jack Crawford open the game in the past, then give way to the others. I could see Crawford focusing more on tackle duty than end with the injury to Cedric Thornton.

•With Tyron Smith missing the majority of practice this week, this is where the loss of Chaz Green hurts the depth of the offensive line. Green was able to step in earlier in the season and the offense was able to continue to still function well. Until proven wrong, I am concerned that if Smith were unable to go -- and currently he is a go, but a lot could change – starting Emmett Cleary against Ziggy Ansah would be a bad situation. From my days of scouting Cleary, I just don’t see the athletic ability to handle edge rushers at tackle. I have always thought he was a better player inside than out. The hope is that Smith will be able to answer the bell, but it’s an area of concern if he can’t.

•What stat makes Matt Stafford so difficult to defend? The Lions are the best team in the league when it comes to facing 3rd-and-long. Teams around the NFL only convert on that down and distance 20 percent of the time – the Lions do it 35 percent.

•I asked Jason Garrett this week about the safety rotation with J.J. Wilcox back in the lineup. I didn’t expect to get a clear answer, but I think we are going to see them go back to what we saw earlier in the season. Look for Wilcox, Barry Church, Byron Jones and Jeff Heath to be in and out of the lineup during various points of the game. It has worked well for them, especially in their dime packages.

•Only 2.3 percent of the catchable balls that Dak Prescott has thrown this season have been dropped. That’s good enough for best in the NFL.

•Not sure how much we are going to see Vince Mayle in those point-of-attack blocking situations like we have in these previous games. Mayle has the ideal size to play in this role, but if he’s going to continue to get called for holding and wiping out key runs – he will be on the bench next to the coaches.

•No Justin Durant means more Damien Wilson in nickel packages. Wilson has been the strong side linebacker in the base and should step in for Durant. The loss of Durant is key due to the fact that each game he has made that one crucial play that gets the defense off the field. Wilson doesn’t have the football intelligence of Durant, but is he is more athletic. Keep an eye on Wilson in how he plays those crossing routes by the Lions underneath. That’s a big part of their offense and he can help his cornerbacks in coverage by being disruptive.

•My guess at the Cowboys inactives: QB Mark Sanchez, CB Morris Claiborne, RB Alfred Morris, LB Justin Durant , DE DeMarcus Lawrence, DT Cedric Thornton, DE Tyrone Crawford.

marsbennett

Brand New Member
Final Thoughts: Handling Tyron's Injury, Gregory's Snaps, Dime D; More

Saturday, December 24, 2016 3:54 PM CST

By Bryan Broaddus

Football Analyst/Scout

@BryanBroaddus

•With Tyron Smith missing the majority of practice this week, this is where the loss of Chaz Green hurts the depth of the offensive line. Green was able to step in earlier in the season and the offense was able to continue to still function well. Until proven wrong, I am concerned that if Smith were unable to go -- and currently he is a go, but a lot could change – starting Emmett Cleary against Ziggy Ansah would be a bad situation. From my days of scouting Cleary, I just don’t see the athletic ability to handle edge rushers at tackle. I have always thought he was a better player inside than out. The hope is that Smith will be able to answer the bell, but it’s an area of concern if he can’t.

•My guess at the Cowboys inactives: QB Mark Sanchez, CB Morris Claiborne, RB Alfred Morris, LB Justin Durant , DE DeMarcus Lawrence, DT Cedric Thornton, DE Tyrone Crawford.

that's the spooky one to me. Why not deepen the line with Collins?

Top Bottom