2017 Coaching Hirings/Firings

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Im surprised I haven't seen Linehans name more with us have the bye week.
All quiet on that front per Garrett.

He had a very bad exit from the Rams, sometimes guys get a bad rep. Meanwhile, clods like Rex Ryan get multiple chances.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Unless we hear Linehan mentioned as interviewing somewhere by the weekend I think all will be clear in that regard.

There are only six vacancies, and five if you rule out the Rams since Linehan coached there before. The Bills seem set on Lynn, so that leaves four, and multiple names have already been leaked for a few other spots. You'd have to imagine guys like McDaniels and Shannahan will be above Linehan on the lists of teams that want an offensive-minded coach because they're younger, fresher names, and even though McDaniels already flamed out in once in Denver he's given a pass because he has the Belichick mystique.

dallen

Senior Tech
Jerry Jones 2.0

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Bills have contacted Eagles about interviewing their OC Frank Reich for their HC job.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

SD, LA and Buffalo also showing interest.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some of these guys you have to figure are only getting Rooney Rule interest.

Cotton

Staff member

dallen

Senior Tech
Former NFL Coach of the Year Jim Fassel is also available.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All quiet on that front per Garrett.

He had a very bad exit from the Rams, sometimes guys get a bad rep. Meanwhile, clods like Rex Ryan get multiple chances.
Have any of the playoff team coaches done interviews? I always think it's in really piss poor taste when they do while their team is alive.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Unless we hear Linehan mentioned as interviewing somewhere by the weekend I think all will be clear in that regard.

There are only six vacancies, and five if you rule out the Rams since Linehan coached there before. The Bills seem set on Lynn, so that leaves four, and multiple names have already been leaked for a few other spots. You'd have to imagine guys like McDaniels and Shannahan will be above Linehan on the lists of teams that want an offensive-minded coach because they're younger, fresher names, and even though McDaniels already flamed out in once in Denver he's given a pass because he has the Belichick mystique.
I haven't really seen his name in the mix. Hopefully we keep him because we have a good thing going and I don't trust Garrett/Jerry to find a solid replacement.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I haven't really seen his name in the mix. Hopefully we keep him because we have a good thing going and I don't trust Garrett/Jerry to find a solid replacement.
Most of the coaches from teams with byes are doing their interviews this week while their team is off. Both Patriots coordinators and Shannahan in Atlanta are interviewing this weekend and perhaps next Monday. If we get to the weekend without any real Linehan rumors, I think it's a wrap.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Most of the coaches from teams with byes are doing their interviews this week while their team is off. Both Patriots coordinators and Shannahan in Atlanta are interviewing this weekend and perhaps next Monday. If we get to the weekend without any real Linehan rumors, I think it's a wrap.
Yeah I think we're safe. I would've actually been surprised if someone hired him as HC, he's like Wade, a better coordinator than HC.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Looks Jay Gruden has shitcanned his entire defensive staff and the rumor has them hiring Wade Phillips.

Heh heh.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Looks Jay Gruden has shitcanned his entire defensive staff and the rumor has them hiring Wade Phillips.

Heh heh.
Is Wade a free agent? The Broncos wouldn't have to let him go for a lateral move otherwise.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Is Wade a free agent? The Broncos wouldn't have to let him go for a lateral move otherwise.
Rumor is that Vance Joseph, the supposed leader in the clubhouse for the HC spot, wouldn't retain him.

Phillips is certainly an upgrade over Barry but I don't think he is some grandmaster X's and O's guy who can coach up mediocre talent. Our defense was stocked while he was here, including a future HOF'er in Ware, when he was in Houston he had a guy who may go down as the GOAT DL in Watt if he can stay healthy, and obviously in Denver they are/were loaded at every level of the defense, with yet another future HOF pass-rusher in Miller.

His schemes are usually relatively simple 1-gap, 3-4 stuff, he does a good job of getting production out of interior linemen by freeing them up to rush instead of 2-gap, but overall I feel like he is more talent-dependent than other top coordinators.

Ryan Kerrigan is hardly Ware, Watt or Miller.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Rumor is that Vance Joseph, the supposed leader in the clubhouse for the HC spot, wouldn't retain him.

Phillips is certainly an upgrade over Barry but I don't think he is some grandmaster X's and O's guy who can coach up mediocre talent. Our defense was stocked while he was here, including a future HOF'er in Ware, when he was in Houston he had a guy who may go down as the GOAT DL in Watt if he can stay healthy, and obviously in Denver they are/were loaded at every level of the defense, with yet another future HOF pass-rusher in Miller.

His schemes are usually relatively simple 1-gap, 3-4 stuff, he does a good job of getting production out of interior linemen by freeing them up to rush instead of 2-gap, but overall I feel like he is more talent-dependent than other top coordinators.

Ryan Kerrigan is hardly Ware, Watt or Miller.
I've always respected Wade as a pure defensive coordinator. I don't think he has ever done poorly at just that. He is a terrible head coach though. I wouldn't be scared if the Skins brought Wade in but I'd prefer they get someone who sucks.

Top Bottom