Archer: Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey out 'weeks' with groin strain

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys kicker Dan Bailey out 'weeks' with groin strain
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys will be without kicker Dan Bailey for "weeks" because of a groin strain in his kicking leg, according to a source.

Bailey suffered the injury while kicking into the net during Sunday's 40-10 win against the San Francisco 49ers. Safety Jeff Heath took over the kicking duties for the rest of the game, making 2 -of-3 point-after attempts.

Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Monday, executive vice president Stephen Jones all but ruled out Bailey from next week's game against the Washington Redskins, saying, "This could be more than a week at a time."

According to ESPN Insider Field Yates, the Cowboys will work out Mike Nugent, Jason Myers, Younghoe Koo and Sam Irwin-Hill.

Bailey, the most accurate kicker in NFL history, has made all seven of his field goal attempts and all 16 extra points.

Nugent, who was beat out by Aldrick Rosas for the New York Giants this summer, has the most experience. In 12 seasons, including seven with the Cincinnati Bengals, Nugent has made 236 of 292 field goals (80.8 percent).

Myers was released last week by the Jacksonville Jaguars after missing four of 15 attempts this season, including two against the Los Angeles Rams. He had been Jacksonville's kicker since 2015. Koo made the Los Angeles Chargers as an undrafted free agent but made only three of six field goal attempts, missing what would have been two game-winning tries.

Irwin-Hill went to training camp with the Cowboys and was among their final cuts. He made all seven point-after attempts and made two-of-hree field goal tries. He has yet to kick in a regular-season game in his career.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
If Cairo Santos is healthy that'd be ideal, he's one of the better kickers in the league.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Cairo Santos is healthy that'd be ideal, he's one of the better kickers in the league.
We are working him out as one of seven per reports. Dan Carpenter, Roberto Aguayo and Santos in addition to Myers, Koo, Nugent and Irwin-Hill.

I will really get pissed off if all we do is go with Irwin-Hill. That would be patently retarded considering how Garrett depends on FGs.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
We are working him out as one of seven per reports. Dan Carpenter, Roberto Aguayo and Santos in addition to Myers, Koo, Nugent and Irwin-Hill.

I will really get pissed off if all we do is go with Irwin-Hill. That would be patently retarded considering how Garrett depends on FGs.
I get that but I also recognize that name recognition with kickers doesn't really mean shit. Some guy I barely know may be better than all of the guys I have heard of. So I kind of have to just trust the Cowboys choice until I see them on the field.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I get that but I also recognize that name recognition with kickers doesn't really mean shit. Some guy I barely know may be better than all of the guys I have heard of. So I kind of have to just trust the Cowboys choice until I see them on the field.
Irwin-Hill is not experienced at all, was not a placekicker at Arkansas. He would be a lazy and retarded choice. I don't give a shit how he looked in camp and preseason.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
All I remember about Mike Nugent is that Thorn was like his biggest fan when he was coming out. In the draft.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Irwin-Hill is not experienced at all, was not a placekicker at Arkansas. He would be a lazy and retarded choice. I don't give a shit how he looked in camp and preseason.
Didn't even know he wasn't a college field goal kicker. I guess that shows how little I know about college kickers. Hell all the good ones I know seem to suck in the pros.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I generally agree with this sentiment, the guy the Chiefs signed from the Panthers PS to replace Santos comes to mind.

But Santos was one of the best kickers in the league last year and this season up until he was hurt about a month ago, so if he's healthy he'd be my choice.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Dallas signed Nugent.

Thorn just woke up cheering.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
:lol

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen just came out and said Bailey could be out until after Thanksgiving or later.

midswat

... soon
Bailey is someone I've somewhat took for granted, which is strange considering how bad our kicking situation was the last decade or so before he came here.

He's just so automatic. I hope we're wise and let him rest up as long as he needs to.

I don't even know if it's a legit concern, but my biggest fear is he comes back too soon, doesn't have the confidence he needs or fears tweaking it, and develops what Parcells refered to as the 'yips'

Top Bottom