Gameday Chatter Thread | Cowboys at 49ers | Week 4 | 10-02-2016

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Terence Newman is still a beast.

Newman had the young boy locked down.

data

Forbes #1
I remember some bitching about Newman being a 25 year old rookie and we wouldn't get enough playing years. Funny how things turn out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I remember some bitching about Newman being a 25 year old rookie and we wouldn't get enough playing years. Funny how things turn out.
Yeah I'm shocked he is still playing in the NFL frankly. And I never thought he was that great while he was in Dallas.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Giants should've challenged that.

That's not fhrward progress if he was in the air the whole time.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Yeah I'm shocked he is still playing in the NFL frankly. And I never thought he was that great while he was in Dallas.
He was good at times but not what you'd expect from the #4 overall pick. I also wasn't impressed with him when he went to the Bengals. But he's managed to have a long career and has looked rejuvenated with the Vikings.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I was more disappointed in Roy Williams. He looked like the real deal his first couple of years and then got fat, became a liability in coverage and faded fast.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was good at times but not what you'd expect from the #4 overall pick. I also wasn't impressed with him when he went to the Bengals. But he's managed to have a long career and has looked rejuvenated with the Vikings.
He was a corner that you just needed to throw at even if he was in great position because his ball skills were so god awful.

data

Forbes #1
Pressure got to beadford, but that screen could've gone for a long gain.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I was more disappointed in Roy Williams. He looked like the real deal his first couple of years and then got fat, became a liability in coverage and faded fast.
Agreed.

Unlike Newman, Roy Williams had the ability to be a great player for a long time. His play in the first 4 seasons of his career was outstanding.

Receivers were scared of him, but he also covered a lot better than people remember.

And to top it all off, the guy had a knack for making a big play when we needed it. Even in 2005, the first year of his weight gain, he made huge plays all year and deserved DPOY recognition.

His career did not become what it should have, and the saddest part is that it was all his fault.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Can't believe Bradford missed that throw. Wow.

Hope you had your DVRs set, fellas, you don't see that very often.

data

Forbes #1
Wonder if his dropoff was cuz Woodson retired. Not just ability, but work ethic/conditioning.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
5th overall but who's counting?

I always liked Newman. He was never a playmaker but he was an excellent cover guy in his prime.

Meanwhile a lot of the top half of that first round were busts, so I think we did pretty well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Agreed.

Unlike Newman, Roy Williams had the ability to be a great player for a long time. His play in the first 4 seasons of his career was outstanding.

Receivers were scared of him, but he also covered a lot better than people remember.

And to top it all off, the guy had a knack for making a big play when we needed it. Even in 2005, the first year of his weight gain, he made huge plays all year and deserved DPOY recognition.

His career did not become what it should have, and the saddest part is that it was all his fault.
And for a little extra salt in the wound the safety who went after him in that draft was Ed Reed. Someone who will be in the hall of fame.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

I always liked Newman. He was never a playmaker but he was an excellent cover guy in his prime.

Meanwhile a lot of the top half of that first round were busts, so I think we did pretty well.

True. I remember all the talk was Newman or Quentin Jammer. Jammer went earlier to the Chargers, never really lived up to his billing and has now been out of the league for years.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Yup.

Those top prospects of the 2003 draft did not end up being anything special.

It's kinda like the 2006 draft. I never wanted that bum Bobby Carpenter, but even the guy I did want in Manny Lawson sucked too.

There just weren't many guys who panned out in our range that year either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Wonder if his dropoff was cuz Woodson retired. Not just ability, but work ethic/conditioning.
Newmsie got gradually worse under Campo as DBs coach when Zimmer bailed after Parcells left.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I thought the Vikings were probably still a 9 or 10 win team with Bradford. Looks like I underestimated them with my 9/10 win prediction.

Top Bottom