Archer - Jason Garrett: Randy Gregory is 'doing a lot better'

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Garrett: Randy Gregory is 'doing a lot better'

1:30 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Dallas Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said he has had a few brief conversations with Randy Gregory now that the suspended defensive end is around the team's facility.

"He's doing a lot better," Garrett said.

Their talks have not been only about football.

"[We] talk about everything," Garrett said. "You try to get to know your players as people, and then certainly we're football coaches so we always talk about football and how they're going physically and what their role is going to be going forward."

Gregory had been at an out-of-state treatment facility since the start of training camp. He is suspended for the next three games for violating the NFL's substance abuse policy, and he is facing further penalty that is currently under appeal. There is no timetable as to when the league will make a ruling on Gregory's status.

On Monday, the Cowboys moved Gregory from the reserve/did not report list to the reserve/suspended list. He can return to practice Oct. 3 if the appeal remains open. The first game he could play would be Oct. 9 against the Cincinnati Bengals, which is also the first game DeMarcus Lawrence can return from his suspension.

Gregory can attend meetings and work out at The Star, but he cannot practice. He has not been on the field with the Cowboys since last spring, missing all of training camp and preseason.

Does Garrett foresee Gregory being able to play a role if he is eligible?

"Absolutely," he said.

Speaking on 105.3 FM The Fan in Dallas on Tuesday, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Gregory will continue to go through rehab treatment.

"It's arguable he may always rehab," Jones said, adding, "We hope that he continues to do what he's been doing."

----

Um, yeah, I have a difficult time seeing how a kid like Gregory establish anything with a guy like Garrett.

Garrett: So, Randy, ready for a big day? Ready to go get to work? Ready to work for the Dallas Football Cowboys?

Gregory: Yes, yes, sir.

Garrett: And uh, Randy, so uh, tell me. Are you the right kinda guy? Are you ready to make this day, your day? You know, like I saw in the movie Dead Poets Society, Carpe Diem? Ready to make this YOUR day?

Gregory: I, uh...

Garrett: ~claps~ Great, I know you can't hit the field but I look forward to seeing you in the five hour DL meeting with Coach Marinelli.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Still think Garrett send a pack of hookers over to Key West so Jimmy Johnson would tell everyone on national TV what a great coach he was going to be.

Top Bottom