Looking to buy a used vehicle.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am currently looking around for another vehicle, I will only buy used because IMO the value you get after the depreciation trumps everything else.

Nothing like getting a 50'000 dollar car for under 20'000.

Currently looking at

2012 to 2014 Hyundai Genesis and it is leading the pack because of reliability.

2nd is the CTS Cadillac coupe 2011 2013 and is my favorite style wise.

I really would like a Jag or Audi in those price ranges but the reliability on them is so hit and miss.

BMW is out of the question because maintenance is just to high.

Anybody have a Caddy in those year ranges?

Or opinions on anything comparable?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am currently looking around for another vehicle, I will only buy used because IMO the value you get after the depreciation trumps everything else.

Currently looking at

I really would like a Jag or Audi in those price ranges but the reliability on them is so hit and miss.

I have a Lincoln but I bought it new.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My last car was a CTS and it was excellent. That was an 07 though. And I wanted a Challenger so I got that in 2013. I loved the CTS though. Just wanted something different.

Last edited:

dallen

Senior Tech
I've been looking at a Hyundai Genesis for my next car. Pretty much that or a Tundra. I just need to decide if I really want a truck or not.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Currently looking at

What makes the BMW higher in maintenance than anything else you have listed?

If you buy from a dealer, make them throw in a service contract- oil changes are the main thing, but depending on the year BMW you like, they have a internal filter that gets changed (vs an external) which does make the filter more expensive...but oil is oil.

I like the Genesis too. Fast little car, and Hyundai is known for its reliability and solid construction.

Cadillac, the CTS is cool, but the one I spent time in (2014) had a dead spot in the power band, which was probably a function of teaming the V6 with a turbo. BMW got it right here....they run an inline 6 which tends to have a broader torque peak which then allows the turbos to be adjusted across the power band so the "peakiness" of a turbo is tamed a bit.
In simpler terms, the CTS turbo V6 is 321 hp, 275 ft/lbs torque. The BMW is 300 hp/300 ft lbs torque. To me, the BMW is just a more pleasant car to drive in an everyday type situation.

Audi is an excellent car...excellent reliability in the A5 series.

Jag....oh, now theres one you have to worry about. Reliability is hit and miss, and if something breaks it will cost a small fortune to get it fixed.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I've been looking at a Hyundai Genesis for my next car. Pretty much that or a Tundra. I just need to decide if I really want a truck or not.
The Genesis seems to the most bang for the buck but I am not in love with the looks, not really an eye catcher.

Jiggyfly

Banned
What makes the BMW higher in maintenance than anything else you have listed?

If you buy from a dealer, make them throw in a service contract- oil changes are the main thing, but depending on the year BMW you like, they have a internal filter that gets changed (vs an external) which does make the filter more expensive...but oil is oil.

I like the Genesis too. Fast little car, and Hyundai is known for its reliability and solid construction.

Cadillac, the CTS is cool, but the one I spent time in (2014) had a dead spot in the power band, which was probably a function of teaming the V6 with a turbo. BMW got it right here....they run an inline 6 which tends to have a broader torque peak which then allows the turbos to be adjusted across the power band so the "peakiness" of a turbo is tamed a bit.
In simpler terms, the CTS turbo V6 is 321 hp, 275 ft/lbs torque. The BMW is 300 hp/300 ft lbs torque. To me, the BMW is just a more pleasant car to drive in an everyday type situation.

Audi is an excellent car...excellent reliability in the A5 series.

Jag....oh, now theres one you have to worry about. Reliability is hit and miss, and if something breaks it will cost a small fortune to get it fixed.
Everything I have read says maintenece on a BMW is higher than most and there are several issues that seem to pop regularly and maintnence cost are way higher than all the others except the Audi.

I am buying used so a service contract would be pricy.

I am looking at the 4 door Genesis not the coupe.

Audi seems to have mixed reviews I like the A5 and it seems to have the highest marks but again service is costly if something does break, I will check out a couple when I start testing.

I am not really worried about performance marks as long as it has enough punch I am ok and the CTS coupe got good reviews against the similiar powered BMW.

Looking at the Lexus 460 as well but it is probably out of my price range unless I go back in years.

What kind of BMW do you have?

UncleMilti

Staff member
Everything I have read says maintenece on a BMW is higher than most and there are several issues that seem to pop regularly and maintnence cost are way higher than all the others except the Audi.

I am buying used so a service contract would be pricy.

I am looking at the 4 door Genesis not the coupe.

Audi seems to have mixed reviews I like the A5 and it seems to have the highest marks but again service is costly if something does break, I will check out a couple when I start testing.

I am not really worried about performance marks as long as it has enough punch I am ok and the CTS coupe got good reviews against the similiar powered BMW.

Looking at the Lexus 460 as well but it is probably out of my price range unless I go back in years.

What kind of BMW do you have?
2015 M5

Jiggyfly

Banned
Ballerrrrrrrrr.

I'm trying to ball on a budget:lol

I was looking at the older 550's but got scared off.

Since you mentioned it I have taken another look at the A5 they have the nicest interior hands down.

dallen

Senior Tech
The Genesis seems to the most bang for the buck but I am not in love with the looks, not really an eye catcher.
Yeah. I like all the features, but it ain't the prettiest. But it is so much cheaper than similar cars I can overlook that. I'm sure it looks fine from the driver's seat :)

Jiggyfly

Banned
Yeah. I like all the features, but it ain't the prettiest. But it is so much cheaper than similar cars I can overlook that. I'm sure it looks fine from the driver's seat :)
Yeah that's where I am with it as well.

What year are you looking at and is it the 3.8 or the 4.6?

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am by no means a car guy...as evidenced by my Honda CR-V, but both models are for relics.

dallen

Senior Tech
Yeah that's where I am with it as well.

What year are you looking at and is it the 3.8 or the 4.6?
I haven't really reached the point of looking that closely yet. I'm probably at least a year away from buying anything.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I haven't really reached the point of looking that closely yet. I'm probably at least a year away from buying anything.
I am about 6 months in and will probably do something around the end of the year.

Have done a lot of research on the car I can send you some links.

UncleMilti

Staff member
Ballerrrrrrrrr.

I'm trying to ball on a budget:lol

I was looking at the older 550's but got scared off.

Since you mentioned it I have taken another look at the A5 they have the nicest interior hands down.

Its actually my wifes. :lol

She has already smoked 2 of the rims, and smacked the front spoiler on a curb.

I'm not sure I can take much more.

Top Bottom