Sturm: Decoding Linehan - Beating the Packers Blitz and the Lucky Whitehead Game

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think it was just the opposite. They coached lazy with Romo under center. You rarely if ever saw bad match ups exploited by our offense. Either running or passing. We just lined up and tried to out talent teams. Now we see that every week. They started off calling plays trying to help the rookie QB, and are slowly opening it up. And along with doing that, they're using more and more wrinkles that fit with his play style instead of just telling him to just drop back and wing it.
Agreed.

I don't think it was Romo, I think it was Garrett's crap offense.

Garrett has never demonstrated any creativity or an ability to continuously out scheme the opponent, so I have no doubt in my mind it is all Linehan.

I think you see it more now because Garrett trusted Romo implicitly, so there was probably some instruction to Linehan to not mess with the offense too much. But with Dak in, Garrett likely felt they needed to mix things up and he let Linehan do his job and we're seeing the results of that.

It's a shame Romo didn't get to benefit from this type of coaching throughout his career.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Remember when Jerry came out and told everyone that Romo was cerebral like Manning, and they wanted to take advantage of that?

Then, for some reason on every 3rd and 8, it was "kill, kill" and a 6 yard pass to Witten.

Romo shares the brunt of the responsibility for changing all the plays at the LOS, and it seemed like a never ending merry go round.

I think Romo could have the same success if he just...ran...the..play..that..was..called.
And I would agree with this too.

There is no doubt in my mind that Romo changed a lot of plays and some of those runs were changed to passes by him.

Hence, Murray raging and taking his helmet off in that Green Bay game after Romo threw his 3rd pick of the game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Agreed.

I don't think it was Romo, I think it was Garrett's crap offense.

Garrett has never demonstrated any creativity or an ability to continuously out scheme the opponent, so I have no doubt in my mind it is all Linehan.

I think you see it more now because Garrett trusted Romo implicitly, so there was probably some instruction to Linehan to not mess with the offense too much. But with Dak in, Garrett likely felt they needed to mix things up and he let Linehan do his job and we're seeing the results of that.

It's a shame Romo didn't get to benefit from this type of coaching throughout his career.
I don't know about Romo getting the "benefit". I don't think the offense we are running right now has a damn thing to do with him.

Prescott made these guys wake up and quit being lazy and expecting Romo to run the offense.

And I am sorry, Romo is good and all, but I don't see him as an elite guy like a Manning that can go someplace else and tell them how to run their business.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
Well I said one of the best. He actually is off to the best in terms of INT's. I said one of the best because he also has a 5-1 record, 103.9 QB rating, 10 total TD's and a 68.7% completion percentage. Numbers I'd say probably rival or are better then most QBs first 6 games of their career.
My bad, I read over the "one of"...

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Top Bottom