Archer: Stats don't show it, but DeMarcus Lawrence was effective

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stats don't show it, but DeMarcus Lawrence was effective
10:43 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- On the official stat sheet from the Dallas Cowboys’ 28-14 win against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, DeMarcus Lawrence’s name is missing.

He was not credited with a solo tackle, assisted tackle, sack or quarterback hurry, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t make an impact or that those stats are 100 percent accurate.

In his first appearance of the season (he missed the first four games due to a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy), Lawrence affected the quarterback, as the Cowboys’ coaches like to say, numerous times.

When the coaches' review of the tape comes out, Lawrence will have at least two quarterback pressures of Andy Dalton.

“I had him by the jersey,” Lawrence said, later joking, “I blame it on Nike. They gotta get me some better grip on my gloves.”

On his first snap, Lawrence played right defensive end. On his second, he played left defensive end and contributed to a Dalton scramble that forced a punt. At the end of the first half, he forced two incomplete passes by Dalton that led to a punt.

“I felt great,” Lawrence said. “Just being out there with my teammates, playing the game that I love, it was great. Felt like I had a couple [sacks get away]. I just got to capitalize on them the next time.”

Lawrence’s appearance in the lineup might explain the Cowboys’ best pass-rushing day of the season. They entered Sunday’s game with six sacks in the first four games. They sacked Dalton four times and hurried him nine more times. Terrell McClain had 1.5 sacks. Benson Mayowa equaled his career sack total with his second sack of the season. Cedric Thornton had his first sack as a Cowboy. Jack Crawford had half a sack.

"The happiest guy in that locker room is [defensive coordinator] Rod Marinelli,” owner and general manager Jerry Jones said. “What he preaches came to bear out there."

Lawrence played in 17 snaps as the Cowboys kept him on a pitch count. Not only was he off for a month, but he had offseason back surgery. The Cowboys did not want to give him too much too soon. With the game under control late, he was kept on the sideline.

“I thought he was pretty good for the first time,” Marinelli said. “He was effective. He’s got to be able to turn the edge a little bit more, but I’m excited. He came out of it and seemed like he was feeling pretty good. We had a pitch count on him, so next week hopefully that count can go up a little more for him.”

Lawrence led the Cowboys with eight sacks last year, including seven in the team’s final eight games. The Cowboys travel to Green Bay this week to take on the Packers. Lawrence has played two games at Lambeau Field, and he has recorded a sack in both visits.

“They’re going to come, and when they come, they come in bunches,” Lawrence said. “Just keep rushing and wait on my time.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
If he did not get a QB hurry I really have no idea of how they keep that stat.:shrug

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If he did not get a QB hurry I really have no idea of how they keep that stat.:shrug
No doubt. He had a handful of Dalton's jersey on one play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Stats don't show it, but DeMarcus Lawrence was effective
10:43 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

ARLINGTON, Texas -- On the official stat sheet from the Dallas Cowboys’ 28-14 win against the Cincinnati Bengals on Sunday, DeMarcus Lawrence’s name is missing.

He was not credited with a solo tackle, assisted tackle, sack or quarterback hurry, but that doesn’t mean he didn’t make an impact or that those stats are 100 percent accurate.

In his first appearance of the season (he missed the first four games due to a four-game suspension for violating the NFL’s substance-abuse policy), Lawrence affected the quarterback, as the Cowboys’ coaches like to say, numerous times.

When the coaches' review of the tape comes out, Lawrence will have at least two quarterback pressures of Andy Dalton.

“I had him by the jersey,” Lawrence said, later joking, “I blame it on Nike. They gotta get me some better grip on my gloves.”

On his first snap, Lawrence played right defensive end. On his second, he played left defensive end and contributed to a Dalton scramble that forced a punt. At the end of the first half, he forced two incomplete passes by Dalton that led to a punt.

“I felt great,” Lawrence said. “Just being out there with my teammates, playing the game that I love, it was great. Felt like I had a couple [sacks get away]. I just got to capitalize on them the next time.”
What the hell is the difference between a QB pressure and a QB hurry? Does he have to knock the snot out of the QB for it to be considered a pressure?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
When this team plays with the lead and pin their ears they can get after QB's.

The rotation was especially effective yesterday. You could see the difference the freshness of the reserves made.

We need to keep a better eye against QB's vs. man coverage. Dalton was able to convert some 3rd and longs with his legs yesterday, and Aaron Rodgers is even better as a runner in those situations.

Top Bottom