Gameday Chatter Thread |Cowboys v. Giants| 09-11-16

Carp

DCC 4Life
Always been a Fisher fan, but it may be time for me to finally realize the game may have passed him by. I mean that was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The good will in LA will quickly go away. Seattle is visiting them this week, so they could even have a worse outcome.

I was a big Goff fan, but for him to not even be active for their first game is shocking. The way QBs are handled now is much different...it used to be the norm for QBs to take a year or two to see the field. Now with the rookie cap it makes much more sense to get them out there to see what they have right away. For reference, Goff will join Russell and Losman as the only 3 first round QBs that were inactive for the season opener in the last 16 years.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Always been a Fisher fan, but it may be time for me to finally realize the game may have passed him by. I mean that was one of the worst performances I've ever seen. The good will in LA will quickly go away. Seattle is visiting them this week, so they could even have a worse outcome.

I was a big Goff fan, but for him to not even be active for their first game is shocking. The way QBs are handled now is much different...it used to be the norm for QBs to take a year or two to see the field. Now with the rookie cap it makes much more sense to get them out there to see what they have right away. For reference, Goff will join Russell and Losman as the only 3 first round QBs that were inactive for the season opener in the last 16 years.
That's interesting.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Hard Knocks demonstrated how bad the Rams organization is. Goff might just be a victim of that.

dallen

Senior Tech

Elliott really had no running room.

They really were stacking the box and I remember 3 or 4 play action passes that got nothing better than an intermediate pass.

So it's not like they did not look deep, I wonder if Dak just did not pull the trigger or they play action with not enough receivers.
That is some shit blocking. Especially from Witten. Even when they weren't loading the box Zeke was still getting hit behind the line. Big thing to me is that there was almost zero adjustment. Why was there only one (very successful) sweep? Why didn't we try inserting one of our plethora of fullbacks? Why not try a swing pass or a screen to get the ball in his hands?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That is some shit blocking. Especially from Witten. Even when they weren't loading the box Zeke was still getting hit behind the line. Big thing to me is that there was almost zero adjustment. Why was there only one (very successful) sweep? Why didn't we try inserting one of our plethora of fullbacks? Why not try a swing pass or a screen to get the ball in his hands?
I thought we would have thrown the ball to him at least a few times. Hell especially on one of those third and longs instead of Witten.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member

Fisher has been terrible for years now. About 15 years ago I would've loved to have seen us hire him instead of, or replacing Campo. But since then he's been mediocre to bad.

And I agree about Goff. You do see more rookie QB's thrown out there early and at least be competent. But for them to not even have him active while starting someone as bad as Keenum makes you wonder. Goff could just be one who will take a little while to develop, but if I were a Rams fan I'd be concerned. And it was Wentz who was said may need time to sit and learn but he was starting day one and looked fine.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I got drunk way too early in the game, but I do remember wondering why Witten looked so fucking nonchalant out there blocking.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Blocking was bad and Aikman even said our OL was much better pass blockers than run blockers. But its odd that this same OL with less experience two years ago had no problem run blocking for Murray. It's like they are just regressing the longer they are here like we see with a lot of areas on this team over the years.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Blocking was bad and Aikman even said our OL was much better pass blockers than run blockers. But its odd that this same OL with less experience two years ago had no problem run blocking for Murray. It's like they are just regressing the longer they are here like we see with a lot of areas on this team over the years.
We called different types of run plays for Murray then we did on Sunday.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We called different types of run plays for Murray then we did on Sunday.
Yup, and that's the part that I'm surprised isn't being talked about more.

All of the local media are talking about how lackluster our running game was and they are giving their opinions on why that was, but nobody is mentioning just how different the plays were that we ran from what we've run the last 2 years.

It looked like we were using Chip Kelly's run playbook from last season.

They need to scrap all of those spread/shotgun/zone read runs, or at least most of them, and just line up and punch them in the mouth like we did the last 2 years. If Darren McFadden found a way to take advantage of the space that was created, then I'm sure Zeke will have no trouble doing the same.

Cotton

Staff member
Yup, and that's the part that I'm surprised isn't being talked about more.

All of the local media are talking about how lackluster our running game was and they are giving their opinions on why that was, but nobody is mentioning just how different the plays were that we ran from what we've run the last 2 years.

It looked like we were using Chip Kelly's run playbook from last season.

They need to scrap all of those spread/shotgun/zone read runs, or at least most of them, and just line up and punch them in the mouth like we did the last 2 years. If Darren McFadden found a way to take advantage of the space that was created, then I'm sure Zeke will have no trouble doing the same.
Blows my mind. It was glaring all day to the point it looked like a different team out there. I know it plays to come of Dak's strengths, but you can do both. You don't have to go with just one or the other. But, yet again let me point out, Garrett is one-dimensional.

Cotton

Staff member

WTF was up with Witten? He doesn't even engage his guy here, and as a result he ends up right in Zeke's way.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Blows my mind. It was glaring all day to the point it looked like a different team out there. I know it plays to come of Dak's strengths, but you can do both. You don't have to go with just one or the other. But, yet again let me point out, Garrett is one-dimensional.
Right.

I think the idea was they wanted to give both Dak and Zeke plays and looks that they were comfortable with in college. To the team's benefit, both those guys were familiar with the same type of offense, so they were probably thinking along the lines of two birds, one stone. But like you said, it should've been part of the gameplan and not the basis for it.

Furthermore, once it became obvious that we weren't generating any success on the ground with it, we should've just gone back to what we do best. But with Garrett, that's like information overload so asking for in-game adjustments is too much. We'll have to wait for week 2 to see any changes made to the running game and playcalling.

Cotton

Staff member
Right.

I think the idea was they wanted to give both Dak and Zeke plays and looks that they were comfortable with in college. To the team's benefit, both those guys were familiar with the same type of offense, so they were probably thinking along the lines of two birds, one stone. But like you said, it should've been part of the gameplan and not the basis for it.

Furthermore, once it became obvious that we weren't generating any success on the ground with it, we should've just gone back to what we do best. But with Garrett, that's like information overload so asking for in-game adjustments is too much. We'll have to wait for week 2 to see any changes made to the running game and playcalling.
Week to week is what gets you to 4-12. How many times when Johnson was here that we would go into half down, and you still had a great amount of confidence that we would pull it off? How often do you feel that way with Garrett even when we are winning at half? Yeah, exactly.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Week to week is what gets you to 4-12. How many times when Johnson was here that we would go into half down, and you still had a great amount of confidence that we would pull it off? How often do you feel that way with Garrett even when we are winning at half? Yeah, exactly.
It's just another example of how poor a coach Garrett is, and his lack of creativity and ability to adapt.

You always have to wait for the following week to come to see any changes implemented.

dallen

Senior Tech

WTF was up with Witten? He doesn't even engage his guy here, and as a result he ends up right in Zeke's way.
It was probably one of those dumb plays where the TE is supposed to come all the way across the line and block the edge rusher. I don't like that run blocking even when you have a quick athletic TE, much less Witten.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
It's just another example of how poor a coach Garrett is, and his lack of creativity and ability to adapt.

You always have to wait for the following week to come to see any changes implemented.
And it's usually to the extreme. A couple of years ago there was a game where we called 3 passes inside the 5 and didn't score. Garrett got called out on it all week. The next game in the same situation we ran 3 straight times and didn't score. Garrett was like, see I told you so, and went right back to being pass happy.

It's like they don't know how to be smart and balanced, it's either one extreme or the other, mixed with arrogance.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And it's usually to the extreme. A couple of years ago there was a game where we called 3 passes inside the 5 and didn't score. Garrett got called out on it all week. The next game in the same situation we ran 3 straight times and didn't score. Garrett was like, see I told you so, and went right back to being pass happy.

It's like they don't know how to be smart and balanced, it's either one extreme or the other.
Exactly.

Cotton

Staff member
It was probably one of those dumb plays where the TE is supposed to come all the way across the line and block the edge rusher. I don't like that run blocking even when you have a quick athletic TE, much less Witten.
If so, that's being way too cute with your blocking. Just line up and punch them square in the mouth.

Top Bottom