Trent Dilfer on Tony Romo: He may never play for Dallas Cowboys again

Jiggyfly

Banned
Trent Dilfer on Tony Romo: He may never play for Dallas Cowboys again
By Tommy Chalk - The Washington Times
Friday, September 9, 2016
The past two seasons have been rough for Dallas Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo.

Last season, Romo appeared in just four games after a collarbone fracture knocked him out after the second game of the season. Romo would return, only to re-injure his shoulder in the Thanksgiving game against the Carolina Panthers.

This season, Romo suffered a compression fracture in a vertebrae, an injury that will not only knock him out for the Cowboys season opener this Sunday against the New York Giants, but likely for a large portion of the season.

That leads one NFL analyst, ESPN’s Trent Dilfer, to believe Romo may never wear navy blue, metallic silver or white ever again.

“You might be talking to the biggest Tony Romo fan in the world,” Dilfer said on “Mike and Mike in the Morning.” “If there was a Tony Romo fan club, I would be in it. I think he’s fantastic. I don’t know if he’ll ever see the field again for the Dallas Cowboys.”

It’s a harsh reality for Romo. The 36-year-old quarterback has suffered three major injuries the last five times he’s taken the field for the Cowboys.

But not only is Romo’s health a concern, but the emergence of rookie Dak Prescott as Romo’s heir to the Dallas quarterback throne complicates Romo’s chances of seeing the football field again.

“[Dak Prescott] has something special to him,” Dilfer said. “And it’s not just the stats in preseason. It’s going back and watching the poise, watching the presence, watching the calmness to his body and eye, watching him on the sidelines, watching him getting deep into progressions and thinking, wow, he really played well. Let me go back to my notes when he was at Mississippi State. Let me go back to my study of him in college. And realized this is a kid that carried a program in the SEC on his shoulders. No moment was too big for him. [A player] that always played his best in the biggest situations.”

At Mississippi State, Prescott started as a freshman. His 9,376 yards smashed Mississippi’s State’s all-time passing yard total set by Wayne Madkin from 1998 to 2001, when Madkin threw for 6,336 yards in his career. Prescott’s 70 passing touchdowns is also the school record.

Additionally, Prescott rushed for 2,521 yards, ranking third all-time in school history. However, no player in Mississippi State history has rushed for as many touchdowns as Prescott, who ran it in 41 times.

Prescott has continued that production in his brief stints in the NFL. In three preseason games, Prescott has a 78 completion percentage, 451 passing yards on 39 completions, 5 touchdowns, 0 interceptions and 2 rushing touchdowns with 7.6 yards per carry.

That production, on top of Prescott’s fundamentals, have people talking about just how great Prescott could be.

“I had one person who has worked very closely with Tom Brady for a long time, who also got to work with Dak Prescott, say they have the exact same competitive temperament,” Dilfer said. “They’re relentless, they’re fierce, their work ethic is second to none.”

Last year, there was no one adequate enough to fill in Romo. If Prescott, drafted in fourth round this year, is able to succeed for Dallas in the first half of the season, Romo may find himself in a backup role when he returns to full health for the first time since he assumed the role in 2006.

But if Dilfer is correct, and Romo never steps on the field for the Cowboys again, it ends an era of Cowboys football. In 10 seasons as the Cowboys‘ starter, Romo has thrown for 34,154 yards. He’s completed 65.3 percent of his passes. He’s thrown 247 touchdowns.

He’s the franchise leader in all three categories.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Feh. Romo will crawl out there on life support and Jones would let him do it.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Feh. Romo will crawl out there on life support and Jones would let him do it.
Exactly.

Dak could light it up, be sitting at 5-2 or 4-3 and Jones would be smacking it up and talking about how he's just a rookie the minute Romo could be wheeled out behind center. Because ya know, Romo gives us the best "chance" to win.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Exactly.

Dak could light it up, be sitting at 5-2 or 4-3 and Jones would be smacking it up and talking about how he's just a rookie the minute Romo could be wheeled out behind center. Because ya know, Romo gives us the best "chance" to win.
That's with the assumption that Prescott is going to light it up. He may indeed do very well but unless Romo retires he will come back as the starter.

townsend

Banned
"Now I don't wanna give a hysterectomy to a bobcat, what Dak's done is beyond our wildest dreams, he's a guy we're gonna have in the ring of honor one of these days, but medicine is like a shining city on a highway which is why this is still Romo's team. We feel great having Romo back out there, we all believe he gives us our best shot."

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
"Now I don't wanna give a hysterectomy to a bobcat, what Dak's done is beyond our wildest dreams, he's a guy we're gonna have in the ring of honor one of these days, but medicine is like a shining city on a highway which is why this is still Romo's team. We feel great having Romo back out there, we all believe he gives us our best shot."

BipolarFuk

Demoted

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I'm a Romo protagonist but he needs to walk away with or without a title, for himself and the team both.

Troy had the good sense to walk away after back issues and his umpteenth concussion but even he wasn't as battered as Romo has been the last several seasons.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This loss cemented that Romo will in fact suit up for us at least once more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Assuming Romo misses the first 6 I think 3-3 makes us the favorites for the division while 2-4 gives us a puncher's chance. I don't think we necessarily have to beat the Redskins but unless we can pull a stunner without Romo against Cincinnati or Green Bay we will need to beat Chicago and the 49ers for sure.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Assuming Romo misses the first 6 I think 3-3 makes us the favorites for the division while 2-4 gives us a puncher's chance. I don't think we necessarily have to beat the Redskins but unless we can pull a stunner without Romo against Cincinnati or Green Bay we will need to beat Chicago and the 49ers for sure.
Well Chicago and the 49ers should be wins. We would have to shit ourselves against those crappy teams to not win. Granted that's possible but I don't think likely. I'd say the Skins and Bengals are sort of similar. The Bengals are a little better but I could see us pulling something out against either team. They probably aren't much better or worse then the revamped Giants.

The Packers, well I'm just expecting to get our shit pushed in against Aaron Rodgers. He is that good and unless he has an off day the only way to compete is in a shootout. Something we can't probably do with a rookie QB this early in his career.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Well Chicago and the 49ers should be wins. We would have to shit ourselves against those crappy teams to not win. Granted that's possible but I don't think likely. I'd say the Skins and Bengals are sort of similar. The Bengals are a little better but I could see us pulling something out against either team. They probably aren't much better or worse then the revamped Giants.

The Packers, well I'm just expecting to get our shit pushed in against Aaron Rodgers. He is that good and unless he has an off day the only way to compete is in a shootout. Something we can't probably do with a rookie QB this early in his career.
We usually crap ourselves against Chicago.

Smitty

DCC 4Life

I'm not sure any team is a "should be a win" with this defense.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Far from guarantees. What have we done to deserve benefit of any doubt? Our specialty is playing to the level of competition.
I don't think anyone looks at Dallas and thinks they are this formidable side.

For a number of teams, losing to us would be playing to the level of competition.

Like you said, we don't deserve any benefit of doubt.

data

Forbes #1
I don't think anyone looks at Dallas and thinks they are this formidable side.

For a number of teams, losing to us would be playing to the level of competition.

Like you said, we don't deserve any benefit of doubt.
Hell, teams have a better chance of winning if their backup starts. :lol

Top Bottom