Archer: In Ezekiel Elliott's absence, could Rod Smith emerge?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
In Ezekiel Elliott's absence, could Rod Smith emerge?
9:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys will be back at The Star for a conditioning run at noon CT Tuesday, followed by a team meeting as they get back to work after their bye week.

I wonder why they aren’t using today as a “Friday practice,” of sorts, a lighter workout focused on Sunday’s foe, the San Francisco 49ers. But routines are big in the NFL, and the Cowboys are sticking to their routine.

I’ve got five more wonders, too.

Away we go:

** Let’s work under the assumption that RB Ezekiel Elliott's suspension ruling will be upheld and he will miss the next six games. Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden will get chances to make up for Elliott’s absence, but I wonder if Rod Smith ultimately can do more than anybody currently knows. Smith was productive in the spring. He had a strong summer. He ran hard in the preseason. He has been the third-down back the last two games. It’s odd to project somebody with four carries for 13 yards in his career as a lead back. Plus, he was never the guy at Ohio State either (549 career yards). But Smith has ability. He might be the most similar to Elliott among the Cowboys’ runners, but Smith doesn’t have the pedigree of Morris (three 1,000-yard seasons) or McFadden (top-five pick, the NFL’s fourth-leading rusher in 2015).

** The trade deadline is Oct. 31, so I wonder if the Cowboys will be buyers or sellers. Actually, no, I don’t. I don’t see the Cowboys making a move of note before the deadline. The last time they made a big move was when they acquired wide receiver Roy Williams in a trade with Detroit in 2008. That deal did not work out so well for the Cowboys, who gave up first- and third-round picks to get Williams. I will forever believe part of the reason owner Jerry Jones made the deal was to deflect some of the attention off the suspension of Adam Jones. Given how the Cowboys have drafted lately under scouting director Will McClay’s watch, I don’t see them giving up major assets. Nor do I see them giving up players. For fans pining for a Terrance Williams-for-Martavis Bryant trade, that is not based in reality.

** I wonder if it is a matter of time before rookie cornerback Jourdan Lewis is a starter. Sometimes we make too much of a starting role considering how much a defense uses its nickel package, but with the way coach Jason Garrett speaks about Lewis and how those behind the scenes feel about Lewis, it seems that they are ready to give him more time after he didn’t practice all summer with a hamstring strain. Lewis has natural ball skills. He fights through the end of the play. He tackles well. Lewis could take over for Anthony Brown, who has been dealing with a minor ankle sprain, in the base defense. Brown would still play a ton and Orlando Scandrick would move to the slot.

** I’m not saying Bill Parcells would call Sunday’s game against the 49ers a “trap game,” especially considering the Cowboys are under .500, but I do wonder if Sunday’s game will be more difficult than folks realize. It’s easy to see San Francisco’s 0-6 record and scoff. It’s easy to see the 49ers will start rookie quarterback C.J. Beathard and breathe easy. Since losing the season opener 23-3 to the Carolina Panthers, the Niners’ five losses have been by a total of 13 points. They have been in every game but haven't been making plays at key moments. As of right now, the Cowboys won’t have Elliott for the first time this season. Last year, the Cowboys’ sweated out a 24-17 win at San Francisco after falling behind 14-0 after the first two drives.

** I wonder what Dallas' record needs to be by the time Elliott can return on Nov. 30 for the team to still be in the playoff hunt. (Again, assuming Elliott will miss the next six games.) At the very least, I think they would need to be 5-6 with five games to go. That might not put them in position to win the NFC East, given how the Philadelphia Eagles look at the moment, but it might put them in position to compete for a wild-card spot. In order to go 3-3 in their next six, the Cowboys can’t lose the games they are supposed to win (San Francisco, Los Angeles Chargers), and it would help to hold serve at home (Kansas City and Philadelphia, plus the Chargers). The Cowboys have lost two in a row at home. With three of their final four games away from home, the Cowboys might need to be above .500 when Elliott returns to be in the chase.

Top Bottom