User Tag List

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Results 21 to 30 of 49

Thread: 'Several' Cowboys players reportedly say their play-calling is too predictable

  1. #21
    Senior Member L.T. Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    15,590
    Quote Originally Posted by ravidubey View Post
    We had this discussion a couple of days back. He's definitely taking up too many snaps and being paid too much for his production.

    The team needs fresh legs and needs to draft another elite TE talent.

    I'd be OK with a legit 1st rounder.
    You could tag a lot of players with this. Witten is very productive if he is used properly. He has the best hands os any of the receivers except for maybe Beasley. He is being used to protect Prescott then trying to get in a pattern that only allows him to go short distances. If he was used for different routes he would still make the catches. He is augmenting below par production bY some of the OL.
    Since Day One

  2. #22
    Junior Member deadrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    26
    Does it matter who the tight end is if the other team's defense is always one step ahead of Garrett's offense?

    It seems other teams have figured out how to throttle Garrett's scheme. They're not worried about getting beat deep so they can crowd LOS to deal with Elliot, jam Dez, and concede 8-yard dump offs to Witten.

    In the Denver game basically all 11 defenders were within 3 yards of the LOS. Garrett had no answer. In the Atlanta game a nobody DE ate Green for lunch. Garrett had no answer.

    Hard to imagine how draft picks solve that.

  3. The following 3 users like this post:


  4. #23
    Super Duper Moderator mcnuttz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    6,357
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    New to the board. Sorry to intrude. If you look back over Linehan's NFL tenure he's never really accomplished much as HC or OC. The same applies to Garrett. Neither of them has had any sustained success any level in the NFL. Garrett and Linehan also share the same lineage when it comes to offensive philosophy.

    When Garrett was essentially forced to bring in an OC he opted for one that was a clone, and one who had no chops as a big-time OC. So you have two mediocre coaches who are always on the same page offensively.

    When the Seattle game started I said to my wife (who was barely listening) "this is the kind of game Garrett always loses."
    Welcome to the board, always good to see some new accounts who actually post.

    Hope you'll spend some time passing barbs with the few heathens who are always online.

  5. #24
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,397
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Does it matter who the tight end is if the other team's defense is always one step ahead of Garrett's offense?

    It seems other teams have figured out how to throttle Garrett's scheme. They're not worried about getting beat deep so they can crowd LOS to deal with Elliot, jam Dez, and concede 8-yard dump offs to Witten.

    In the Denver game basically all 11 defenders were within 3 yards of the LOS. Garrett had no answer. In the Atlanta game a nobody DE ate Green for lunch. Garrett had no answer.

    Hard to imagine how draft picks solve that.
    Simple answer is yes, it does matter. But that your TE is always going to be partially handicapped by the predictability of the offense. Draft picks won't solve everything that ails this offense. But there are multiple moving parts and certainly the weapons on offense could stand an upgrade as well. Just like I don't think a new head coach is going to suddenly solve all that troubles this offense.

    In an ideal world looking at this draft class I'd go LB/S in the first round and get one more legit stud for this defense. And then follow it up with a few offensive picks. We've really neglected the offense in the draft the last couple of years. Which is understandable, our defense needed an infusion of young talent bad. Now our defense has a lot of talented young parts but our offense really doesn't have much coming up through the ranks. It would be really nice to have a new offensive coordinator in here though that can pinpoint the talent he wants better too. We haven't drafted that great on offense as of late. We either get specialist offensive players (Ryan Switzer) or get big slow targets (Noah Brown, Gavin Escobar). The only real weapon we have drafted in recent history that has worked out has been Zeke.
    Last edited by Cowboysrock55; 12-29-2017 at 12:00 PM.

  6. #25
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    56,464
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    New to the board. Sorry to intrude. If you look back over Linehan's NFL tenure he's never really accomplished much as HC or OC. The same applies to Garrett. Neither of them has had any sustained success any level in the NFL. Garrett and Linehan also share the same lineage when it comes to offensive philosophy.

    When Garrett was essentially forced to bring in an OC he opted for one that was a clone, and one who had no chops as a big-time OC. So you have two mediocre coaches who are always on the same page offensively.

    When the Seattle game started I said to my wife (who was barely listening) "this is the kind of game Garrett always loses."
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  7. #26
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    56,464
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Does it matter who the tight end is if the other team's defense is always one step ahead of Garrett's offense?

    It seems other teams have figured out how to throttle Garrett's scheme. They're not worried about getting beat deep so they can crowd LOS to deal with Elliot, jam Dez, and concede 8-yard dump offs to Witten.

    In the Denver game basically all 11 defenders were within 3 yards of the LOS. Garrett had no answer. In the Atlanta game a nobody DE ate Green for lunch. Garrett had no answer.

    Hard to imagine how draft picks solve that.
    Agreed. There is one consistent in all of this, and it is Garrett. We will never win anything of substance with him as our HC. He can just go ahead and fuck off.

    Oh, and post more, seriously.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  8. #27
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    56,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Simple answer is yes, it does matter. But that your TE is always going to be partially handicapped by the predictability of the offense. Draft picks won't solve everything that ails this offense. But there are multiple moving parts and certainly the weapons on offense could stand an upgrade as well. Just like I don't think a new head coach is going to suddenly solve all that troubles this offense.

    In an ideal world looking at this draft class I'd go LB/S in the first round and get one more legit stud for this defense. And then follow it up with a few offensive picks. We've really neglected the offense in the draft the last couple of years. Which is understandable, our defense needed an infusion of young talent bad. Now our defense has a lot of talented young parts but our offense really doesn't have much coming up through the ranks. It would be really nice to have a new offensive coordinator in here though that can pinpoint the talent he wants better too. We haven't drafted that great on offense as of late. We either get specialist offensive players (Ryan Switzer) or get big slow targets (Noah Brown, Gavin Escobar). The only real weapon we have drafted in recent history that has worked out has been Zeke.
    A new TE isn't going to suddenly make Garrett a good HC. I think that is what they were getting at, and agree 100%.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  9. #28
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    56,464
    What's predictable is throwing the god damn ball at the goalline. Those were the most predictable playcalls of the entire game.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  10. #29
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    A new TE isn't going to suddenly make Garrett a good HC. I think that is what they were getting at, and agree 100%.
    No I know, which is why I said the simple answer is yes. Of course a more explosive TE is going to make this offense better. That's just common sense. But that isn't going to fix Garrett or his shitty play calling either which is why we need to change that as well.

  11. #30
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    21,397
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    What's predictable is throwing the god damn ball at the goalline. Those were the most predictable playcalls of the entire game.
    Yeah and no hindsight bullshit answer is going to fix that. With this O-line and Zeke running the ball we get in 100% of the time if we run the ball there. Maybe it even takes two tries but no question in my mind we get it.

    But instead we get some bullshit answer about the clock and trailing in the game. Even though there was a ton of time left on the clock when that happened.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •