User Tag List

Page 8 of 44 FirstFirst ... 67891018 ... LastLast

Thread: Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    It's easy to lose sight of the fact that speed was never Bryant's selling point -- 4.52 in the combine. It was his size, physicality, leaping ability and athleticism.

He and Romo had a thing going where Romo could just place the ball in a certain spot and Dez would out-hustle and out-muscle the DB for the ball. He intimidated DBs. But if age and injuries have slowed him even more and diminished the other attributes to the point where he can't overpower DBs then no one's going to be afraid of him.

I still saw some plays during the season where RHG and Linehan called those kinds of throws during the season, neither one of them realizing of course that it was a obsolete idea.
    Yeah there were a few deep balls to Dez that still looked like old Dez. Ones where he was covered but he went up for the ball and got it. The problem is with elite corners he can't seem to do that anymore. And part of it probably is a loss of speed. If a really fast corner doesn't even have to try to keep up with you speed wise, it makes those plays a lot harder. Which I think is his problem against elite corners. They don't struggle at all to keep up with him. So it's easier to turn and see the ball.

I don't think Dez is ready to retire or anything like that. But I think the drops this season is sort of a result of his frustration of not seeing more passes. But reality is, at his playing level he probably shouldn't be seeing more balls. But the coaches also suck at finding creative ways to get him the ball. It can't be all WR screens and then low percentage plays like fades. I also remember a lot of slants this year where the corner absolutely knew he was running a slant. That's some of the predictable bullshit that's plaguing our offense.

Dez needs to have the majority oh his routes in the middle. He is good at crossing patterns and routes where verticle seperation isn’t required. He can stretch a middle route by keeping himself in front of the defender. Give him that kind of work and he will produce better.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    Dez needs to have the majority oh his routes in the middle. He is good at crossing patterns and routes where verticle seperation isn’t required. He can stretch a middle route by keeping himself in front of the defender. Give him that kind of work and he will produce better.
    Unless of course he short arms it and allows a pick.

4. The following user likes this post:

p1_

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboysrock55 View Post
    Yeah I don't know that you can draft a WR and count on them to be your instant number 1 guy. If we go that route you're really looking at not having a #1 WR next year but instead sort of attacking defenses with a balanced attack and hoping the rookie can chip in with a nice 600 yard season or something like that. It's why it would be nice to have Dez and draft a guy. But I also feel like Dez would throw a baby tantrum because he would see the writing on the wall that he is being fazed out.
    That would top Dez's season. Even if the guy ends up being WR2 or even WR3, you can still throw it to him rather than Dez, especially if the new guy can actually get separation.

All of it is assuming we even draft someone to eventually replace him in 2018 to begin with though. I'm not sold on the front office feeling there's a need for one yet, at least it wouldn't surprise me.

Or lets it bounce off his hands.

7. The following user likes this post:

p1_

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    Is that the kind of route that justifies $16 million a year? Lots of WRs can run crossing routes. $16 million a year is supposed to buy you separation under all kinds of circumstances, most especially vertical. $16 million a year is supposed to buy you game changing home runs, touchdowns, a deep threat other teams fear.

If all Dez runs is crossing routes, he needs to take a big pay cut.

9. The following user likes this post:

Even Verizon stopped airing his commercials mid-season.

If he does then he is out of room for excuses to remain in pro football.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    Is that the kind of route that justifies $16 million a year? Lots of WRs can run crossing routes. $16 million a year is supposed to buy you separation under all kinds of circumstances, most especially vertical. $16 million a year is supposed to buy you game changing home runs, touchdowns, a deep threat other teams fear.

If all Dez runs is crossing routes, he needs to take a big pay cut.
    Well he certainly isn’t productive on verticle routes. He doesnt have the speed to get separation on most patterns. If he is not effective there then he isn’t needed as a number 1 receiver.

Sidenote. Deadrise has connotations of one who was a prior poster under another name and has come back to life with a new name.
    Since Day One

13. The following user likes this post: