User Tag List

Page 7 of 44 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 438

Thread: Cowboys hot topic: It may be time for an “amicable divorce” from Dez Bryant

  1. #61
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23,534
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnuttz View Post
    I'd rather keep Dez, but replace the head coach and the highly predictable offense.
    I agree if it wasn't for the 16.5 mil cap figure.

  2. #62
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    59,930
    Quote Originally Posted by Couchcoach View Post
    Got it, thank you!
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  3. #63
    Senior Member deadrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    192
    It would be fascinating to speculate how Belichick might handle the Dez situation. Belichick is the Charles Darwin of managing the roster. The organism evolves continuously with no room for emotion or sentiment. Only the continuing evolutionary success of the organism matters.

    A 29-year-old receiver, slowed by nagging injuries, no 100-yard games this season, a $16-million cap hit, a disruptive malcontent at times.

    Hmmm ...

  4. #64
    Senior Member p1_'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    3,674
    He would have been gone, probably traded or straight up released. Belichick doesn't jack around with past their prime players.
    Leading in defensive player suspensions, 5 years and counting

  5. #65
    Senior Member deadrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    192
    I recall when NE got manhandled by Denver in the 2016 playoff game the offensive line coach was gone the NEXT DAY. Not next week, not next month, the NEXT DAY.

    Think that didn't send a message reverberating throughout the organization?

  6. #66
    Senior Member DLK150's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Posts
    6,462
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnuttz View Post
    I'd rather keep Dez, but replace the head coach and the highly predictable offense.
    I'd keep him if he took a pay cut but I would still draft a new WR1. If it's someone who can actually step in and play from day 1, relegate Dez to WR2 status. If he doesn't like it, tough shit.

  7. #67
    One-armed Knife Sharpener Iamtdg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    59,930
    Quote Originally Posted by deadrise View Post
    It would be fascinating to speculate how Belichick might handle the Dez situation. Belichick is the Charles Darwin of managing the roster. The organism evolves continuously with no room for emotion or sentiment. Only the continuing evolutionary success of the organism matters.

    A 29-year-old receiver, slowed by nagging injuries, no 100-yard games this season, a $16-million cap hit, a disruptive malcontent at times.

    Hmmm ...
    You know he would be gone, but the thing about Belichik is he would get something for him. He wouldn’t outright release him like this organization has proven prone to do.
    2016 DCC LOTY Fantasy Football Champion

  8. The following user likes this post:

    p1_

  9. #68
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23,534
    Quote Originally Posted by Iamtdg View Post
    You know he would be gone, but the thing about Belichik is he would get something for him. He wouldn’t outright release him like this organization has proven prone to do.
    But releasing them is the nice thing to do. You wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings. And releasing them allows them to pick their own team and sign that shiny new contract.

  10. #69
    Senior Member Cowboysrock55's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2013
    Posts
    23,534
    Quote Originally Posted by DLK150 View Post
    I'd keep him if he took a pay cut but I would still draft a new WR1. If it's someone who can actually step in and play from day 1, relegate Dez to WR2 status. If he doesn't like it, tough shit.
    Yeah I don't know that you can draft a WR and count on them to be your instant number 1 guy. If we go that route you're really looking at not having a #1 WR next year but instead sort of attacking defenses with a balanced attack and hoping the rookie can chip in with a nice 600 yard season or something like that. It's why it would be nice to have Dez and draft a guy. But I also feel like Dez would throw a baby tantrum because he would see the writing on the wall that he is being fazed out.

  11. #70
    Senior Member deadrise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2017
    Posts
    192
    It's easy to lose sight of the fact that speed was never Bryant's selling point -- 4.52 in the combine. It was his size, physicality, leaping ability and athleticism.

    He and Romo had a thing going where Romo could just place the ball in a certain spot and Dez would out-hustle and out-muscle the DB for the ball. He intimidated DBs. But if age and injuries have slowed him even more and diminished the other attributes to the point where he can't overpower DBs then no one's going to be afraid of him.

    I still saw some plays during the season where RHG and Linehan called those kinds of throws, neither one of them realizing of course that it was a obsolete idea.
    Last edited by deadrise; 12-29-2017 at 03:46 PM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •