Archer: Cowboys' search for answers needs to come from within

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' search for answers needs to come from within
9:00 AM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys' work week is over. Given the team's bye this weekend, the next time players are due back at The Star is Tuesday at noon for a conditioning run and then meetings.

The two days of practice this week were light. They featured a lot of Cowboys versus Cowboys work, starters against starters -- at least those who could practice -- and backups against backups. There was not much of a deep dive into what has led to the team’s 2-3 start. That will be saved for the coaches’ work.

But as the Cowboys get ready to come back from the bye, what can they change to make sure 2-3 doesn’t turn into 8-8, 7-9 or worse?

This is more difficult than people believe. The Twitter-verse wants the Cowboys to trade for Seahawks cornerback Richard Sherman or a great safety or a pass-rusher. Some want the Cowboys to sign free-agent cornerback Darrelle Revis or another big-name, past-his-prime player.

Is a trade possible? Sure. But the last time the Cowboys made a significant addition at the trade deadline was wide receiver Roy Williams in 2008. That didn’t work out. That doesn’t mean you never make a deal again, but few big names change teams. Yes, the New England Patriots traded Chandler Jones and Jamie Collins and still won a Super Bowl, but everything about the Patriots is the exception and not the norm.

By cutting cornerback Nolan Carroll, the Cowboys have put their faith in third-round draft pick Jourdan Lewis. Carroll was a progress stopper, so he’s out. Now Lewis has to play better and reward the team for its faith over the final 11 weeks.

The Cowboys want to play rookie Chidobe Awuzie more at safety, but he can’t seem to steer clear of hamstring strains. They also want to play rookie safety Xavier Woods more. The Atlanta Falcons had success with multiple rookies and younger players in their secondary last year, but it’s a gamble.

Dallas' vaunted offensive line needs to play better too. One change could come at left guard, where Chaz Green and Jonathan Cooper have shared starting duties the first five games. Will the Cowboys give Byron Bell a chance to start, which could help their interior pass protection but maybe take away some of their versatility in the run game?

Linebacker Sean Lee’s return to the lineup will absolutely help a defense that has been ripped apart in the two games he has missed. Linebacker Anthony Hitchens should be better as he gets accustomed to game speed after missing the first four games with a tibial plateau fracture. If that happens, the D's quality of play should be better, and second-year linebacker Jaylon Smith won’t be asked to play so many snaps.

Dallas shouldn't give away top-end future draft picks in hopes of hitting the jackpot. The Cowboys need their top players to perform better, they need their role players to play better, and they need their coaches to coach better.

The Cowboys’ biggest improvement in the final 11 games has to come from within.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The Cowboys want to play rookie Chidobe Awuzie more at safety, but he can’t seem to steer clear of hamstring strains.
:doh

Good lord.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I created that thread on our defensive struggles.

Stop trying to take all these damn shortcuts.

If you want a difference-making safety, well, maybe.....just a thought here......YOU SHOULD GO DRAFT OR SIGN ONE.

WTF is this team's problem when it comes to properly addressing this position? You keep rotating a bunch of bums back there and then can't figure out why you don't see improved play. In the draft, you either don't take a safety until the late rounds or you take a CB and then try to turn him into a safety. In FA, you've made no attempt to bring anyone in that has any ability.

Is anybody in that organization ever going to grow a brain and realize that the only way they are going to see much-needed improvement back there is to spend the resources necessary on a REAL safety? Whether it's in FA or in the draft, we either need to spend some money or use a top draft pick on a guy or we're just going to keep going through this cycle over and over and over again.

It's ridiculous how long we've gone without quality play back there.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:doh

Good lord.

This is exactly what I was talking about when I created that thread on our defensive struggles.

Stop trying to take all these damn shortcuts.

If you want a difference-making safety, well, maybe.....just a thought here......YOU SHOULD GO DRAFT OR SIGN ONE.

WTF is this team's problem when it comes to properly addressing this position? You keep rotating a bunch of bums back there and then can't figure out why you don't see improved play. In the draft, you either don't take a safety until the late rounds or you take a CB and then try to turn him into a safety. In FA, you've made no attempt to bring anyone in that has any ability.

Is anybody in that organization ever going to grow a brain and realize that the only way they are going to see much-needed improvement back there is to spend the resources necessary on a REAL safety? Whether it's in FA or in the draft, we either need to spend some money or use a top draft pick on a guy or we're just going to keep going through this cycle over and over and over again.

It's ridiculous how long we've gone without quality play back there.
Chidobe may be able to play safety but I agree with you. I think you stunt a guy like that's development by putting him at safety unless he is actually your long term answer at the position. So then 3 years from now he isn't a standout corner yet and he is still raw as a safety. All you did was band aid the defense for half a season.

Now my personal opinion is that Chidobe could be a very good safety. But I have no real idea of his ability and feel for playing deep zone. And I'm like you, I'm sick of just assuming any corner who can tackle with some size is a good safety.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Chidobe may be able to play safety but I agree with you. I think you stunt a guy like that's development by putting him at safety unless he is actually your long term answer at the position. So then 3 years from now he isn't a standout corner yet and he is still raw as a safety. All you did was band aid the defense for half a season.

Now my personal opinion is that Chidobe could be a very good safety. But I have no real idea of his ability and feel for playing deep zone. And I'm like you, I'm sick of just assuming any corner who can tackle with some size is a good safety.
Maybe he might turn into a good safety, who knows?

But what bothers me is how many attempts we keep making at addressing that position with players who aren't safeties.

If you want a quality safety, then go fricking draft one!

Why spend a 1st on Jones and a 2nd on Awuzie who were both CBs in college and then turn around and try to turn them into something they may not be cut out for? That's a waste of resources as far as I'm concerned because those aren't the rounds you should be experimenting with.

Last edited:

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

But what bothers me is how many attempts we can making at addressing that position with players who aren't safeties.

Why spend a 1st on Jones and a 2nd on Awuzie who were both CBs in college and then turn around and try to turn them into something they may not be cut out for? That's a waste of resources as far as I'm concerned because those aren't the rounds you should be experimenting with.
Xavier Woods is the first legit college play making safety that we have drafted in a long time. He isn't a corner moving to safety. He isn't one of these Height/Weight/Speed with minimal production guys. And hell even with that we didn't take him until the sixth round. And yet he is looking like one of our best safety draft picks in a long time. Hell Berry Church was probably our best safety addition in recent years and we didn't even draft him. Which sort of tells you that we are doing something seriously wrong in our evaluations.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Byron Jones comes to mind as a failed experiment at safety.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It probably didn't help flip flopping him between CB and S. This staff has a bad habit of trying to develop players as two position/hybrid types instead of sticking with one position and letting them develop there. In other words, keep it simple Garre...Er...Stupid.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Yep. I still think Jones would have been best long-term at corner, especially in this scheme.

I've always thought good safety play was more about anticipation and instincts than athletic ability. Corner is more a pure athletic position.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

But what bothers me is how many attempts we keep making at addressing that position with players who aren't safeties.

It will be a great day for Cowboy fans when Jerry is too senile to be in the draft day war room.

Top Bottom