Officer shot and killed on Tech campus...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
So I heard, family requested a welfare check, officer found drugs (pot or what I don't know) and took him into custody. As I said before, he should have been searched incident to arrest and hand cuffed. Apparently he was not and had gun on him. Cost the officer his life.
That about sums it up. Only thing not clear now is if was being arrested or forcibly committed.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
In terms of arrest or Committed, it doesn't matter. For either he is in custody and should have been searched and cuffed. If they were doing an application for mental detention, he is still considered in custody as his freedom is being taken away. And, if that were the case, he should have been taken directly to a facility for release to a mental ward, not to the police office. My guess is he was under arrest. They may have meant to consider taking him to a mental ward after talking to his family again, but as I said, I bet he was under arrest.

Cotton

Staff member
In terms of arrest or Committed, it doesn't matter. For either he is in custody and should have been searched and cuffed. If they were doing an application for mental detention, he is still considered in custody as his freedom is being taken away. And, if that were the case, he should have been taken directly to a facility for release to a mental ward, not to the police office. My guess is he was under arrest. They may have meant to consider taking him to a mental ward after talking to his family again, but as I said, I bet he was under arrest.
You are correct. It has now come out that this story is not as simple as originally thought. This jackass was actually stopped by LPD (the city PD) early Monday morning after there was a report of a terroristic threat and a stolen gun. This lines up with a student's comment on one of the FB posts from a local news station. She claimed that Hollis (the aforementioned jackass) stole her friend's gun. The officer that stopped Hollis searched his person, and asked to search his vehicle, but Hollis refused. Police decided they didn't have probable cause to search it without consent, so they let him go. Later that day, TTUPD received a call about an individual with a gun acting erratically. That call is what prompted the welfare check and subsequent events.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
A police officer's job is dangerous. While there tactics could use some attitude adjustment, I believe it's a citizens good faith to make an interaction as easy as possible. When I get pulled over driving, I, along with my passengers, extend both arms out of the vehicle windows before the officer approaches. Goes a long way.
When I get pulled over I usually put both hands on the steering wheel as a courtesy as the officer approaches the vehicle. I mean, why make him more nervous than necessary?

Cotton

Staff member
When I get pulled over I usually put both hands on the steering wheel as a courtesy as the officer approaches the vehicle. I mean, why make him more nervous than necessary?
I do the same.

Cotton

Staff member
Press conference right now from LPD: LPD Chief said the suspect was searched. Officer must have missed the weapon.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I haven't been pulled over in years, but I was an office when it happened. I do the same. Keep hands visible and be polite and respectful. goes a long way. Now on the other side as an officer who has made literally thousands of stops, I always tried to make it as easy as possible for those I stopeed because I know it's uncomfortable for them as well and pleasantry from my side helped "most" of the time.

Cotton

Staff member
Apparently, the kid made it all the way back to his dorm after the shooting (which is on the far southern end of campus, shooting occurred on the north end. Got to the dorm, cops already there, tried to make it back to his car on the north end of campus, and that is where he was apprehended.

Cotton

Staff member
Kinda cool. The Yankees sent some flowers and a note to TTUPD. Very classy. My hate for them is decreased a tad.

Cotton

Staff member
The funeral procession...

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Why would this kid kill him and ruin so many lives, including his own and that of his loved ones, because of a marijuana arrest?

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Why would this kid kill him and ruin so many lives, including his own and that of his loved ones, because of a marijuana arrest?
I don't think it was over a marijuana arrest. I think he had mental issues that finally snapped. He was doing wild stuff before the arrest so something else was going on.

Cotton

Staff member
It has come out that they also found Xanax, and no prescription for it. Furthers the belief that he may have had some mental health issues going on.

vince

Not So New Member
It has come out that they also found Xanax, and no prescription for it. Furthers the belief that he may have had some mental health issues going on.
For fucks sake. Just because someone is using drugs recreationally does not mean they have mental issues. Don't let this fucker off with an insanity plea.

Cotton

Staff member
For fucks sake. Just because someone is using drugs recreationally does not mean they have mental issues. Don't let this fucker off with an insanity plea.
Oh, please do not misconstrue my intentions for that post. This motherfucker should fry for what he did. Just because he had a couple screws loose does not excuse what he did.

Top Bottom