Officer shot and killed on Tech campus...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If it was a welfare check then the weed was just something they found. Wonder who called for the welfare check? I'm assuming that is what happens?? Parents? Friends?? Someone that knew they would find the weed??
Yeah, they just found the weed by happenstance on the welfare check. His parents is who would have called for a welfare check. Either they had been trying to get a hold of him and couldn't or he had shown a history of mental issues and this was a recurring welfare check, which isn't uncommon.

Cotton

Staff member
Turns out he had a gun on him. Cop either didn't pat him down or they missed the gun. Either way, a deadly mistake by the officer. So, he was illegally carrying a gun since he wasn't 21 yet.

vince

Not So New Member
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] is your office across the street from the rec center?

Cotton

Staff member
[MENTION=21]Iamtdg[/MENTION] is your office across the street from the rec center?
No, it's at 4th and Flint in the old National Reserve building.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
The police responded to this kid's dorm room on suspicion of drug use. They found a trace amount of pot and some paraphernalia. The cop didn't arrest the kid, but brought him back to police station for debriefing. I'm not 100% sure what that is, but I'm sure [MENTION=49]fortsbest[/MENTION] can tell us. Here is where the details get a little fuzzy since not everything has come out yet. Either the kid had a gun on him or he took the cop's gun and shot the cop in the head. He then took off on foot. A student that was sitting in one of our commuter north parking lots spotted the guy and called the cops saying he had seen someone fitting the description that was put out. They arrested the little motherfucker about 10 minutes later. This really fucking sucks.
Not sure why they did this other than maybe it was campus policy or something if they didn't arrest him. Regardless, he should have been searched before getting put into a car and handcuffed. He may not have been arrested, but if he is being transported in my car, pat down and handcuffing are gonna happen. I pray for you and the Tech family sir. That stiff hits home hard as you can tell by the thoughts you've already mentioned.

Cotton

Staff member
Not sure why they did this other than maybe it was campus policy or something if they didn't arrest him. Regardless, he should have been searched before getting put into a car and handcuffed. He may not have been arrested, but if he is being transported in my car, pat down and handcuffing are gonna happen. I pray for you and the Tech family sir. That stiff hits home hard as you can tell by the thoughts you've already mentioned.
Thank you. Turns out they were arresting him and the responding officer either didn’t pat him down or missed the gun on him. The gun was a .45 so it’s hard to believe the officer just missed it. And, I’m not sure if he was handcuffed during transport but it has been confirmed he didn’t have cuffs on when he shot the officer. Just a terrible mistake with the worst possible consequence for that mistake.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Thank you. Turns out they were arresting him and the responding officer either didn’t pat him down or missed the gun on him. The gun was a .45 so it’s hard to believe the officer just missed it. And, I’m not sure if he was handcuffed during transport but it has been confirmed he didn’t have cuffs on when he shot the officer. Just a terrible mistake with the worst possible consequence for that mistake.
Yepper, I hope now some of the people here that question an officer's hyper alertness can see why. regardless, had they just paid attention to their officer safety training he'd likely be alive, or at least had a chance to fight back.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
Yepper, I hope now some of the people here that question an officer's hyper alertness can see why. regardless, had they just paid attention to their officer safety training he'd likely be alive, or at least had a chance to fight back.
No doubt. This is why the adrenaline is elevated and politeness goes out of the window at times.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It was a crazy dude. I mean he killed an officer at point blank over a pot ticket. If he didn't kill the officer he was going to kill someone eventually. I don't think an outlier like this justifys bully tactics by other officers. Psychotic people aren't the normal.

On an aside why take a person with pot possession into the station? Write the ticket and move on. Do that and the officer would still be alive. Of course you can't blame the officer for the actions of a crazy person.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
It was a crazy dude. I mean he killed an officer at point blank over a pot ticket. If he didn't kill the officer he was going to kill someone eventually. I don't think an outlier like this justifys bully tactics by other officers. Psychotic people aren't the normal.

On an aside why take a person with pot possession into the station? Write the ticket and move on. Do that and the officer would still be alive. Of course you can't blame the officer for the actions of a crazy person.
From what I understand they were checking on his well being and then this event happened.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
So basically a college kid who snapped under the pressure?
No idea what happened. What I was saying is that it doesn't seem like a drug bust. I'm just wondering if the welfare check was because his family was worried about him and then they brought him in to see of he was mentally stable.

All speculation at this point though.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That's what I was wondering. "Welfare check" sounds to me like he had preexisting mental issues.

Cotton

Staff member

You don't just get a ticket for pot in Texas no matter the quantity. It's an automatic trip to jail. I still haven't heard a confirmation that this kid was being taken to jail or was being forcibly committed. He has now been arrested 3 times in the last year. Twice by Tech PD. May have been his deranged motive for killing this cop.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
You don't just get a ticket for pot in Texas no matter the quantity. It's an automatic trip to jail. I still haven't heard a confirmation that this kid was being taken to jail or was being forcibly committed. He has now been arrested 3 times in the last year. Twice by Tech PD. May have been his deranged motive for killing this cop.
So a small possession ticket in Texas is automatic jail? Jesus you all are still in the stone age of weed tickets. Hell up here in Missouri the worst they can do to you is fine you. So there is no way they take you to jail anymore unless you have a large quantity.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life

I never said anything about bully tactics by officers. I said I hope it gives some insight as to why officers remain on high alert at most times. And that also depends on what you mean by bully tactics. If I give commands to you because based on my experience I should have you dong something other than what you are doing, and you don't comply, I may have to make you do what I told you to do. That is not bullying. Again, I'm not justifying some of the things we've allseen on videos, but what I am saying is when someone comes in contact with an officer, comply with commands and complain later. Wallah! no problems. Unless of course you'r'e doing something illegal and need to be dealt with.

Cotton

Staff member
So a small possession ticket in Texas is automatic jail? Jesus you all are still in the stone age of weed tickets. Hell up here in Missouri the worst they can do to you is fine you. So there is no way they take you to jail anymore unless you have a large quantity.
Tell me about it.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
So I heard, family requested a welfare check, officer found drugs (pot or what I don't know) and took him into custody. As I said before, he should have been searched incident to arrest and hand cuffed. Apparently he was not and had gun on him. Cost the officer his life.

Top Bottom