Sturm's Morning After - Cowboys Defense Can't Stop Rodgers Late

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Heath is god damn awful.

Classic example of a guy who flashed a little bit in coverage and on a blitz in the playoffs and the staff thought he was ready for a bigger role.

Couldn't be more wrong.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Heath is god damn awful.

Classic example of a guy who flashed a little bit in coverage and on a blitz in the playoffs and the staff thought he was ready for a bigger role.

Couldn't be more wrong.
With there being 2 weeks to prepare for the next game, there are a few changes I'd implement and use the extra time to get the team as acclimated to those changes as possible.

Fire Marinelli.

Move both Jourdan Lewis and Xavier Woods into starting roles at CB and S over Anthony Brown and Jeff Heath.

Get Jaylon Smith out of the lineup.

Move Collins back to G. Get someone else to play RT and help them out. At least this way, we'd get much better Guard play than we're getting now and we'd have 1 weakness along the line instead of 2.

Start Brice Butler over Terrance Williams.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Marinelli isn't getting fired at this point. It would take an epic collapse. But yeah, there are some changes that need to be implemented.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Marinelli isn't getting fired at this point. It would take an epic collapse. But yeah, there are some changes that need to be implemented.
I know he's not, just saying what I would do.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Unbelievable.

I know neither of those guys are particularly good, but some of that is on coaching as well.

Every week we see multiple instances of either the LBs or DBs not knowing their assignments.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
A contributing factor to the Cowboys likely deciding to stick with Linehan and Marinelli is both of them signed contract extensions this past off-season. I think Garrett still has a couple of years left on his deal as well.

I could see Jerry paying dead money for one coach who's no longer with us but not all three.

midswat

... soon
Idk if this has been discussed because I wasn't in the game thread yesterday until late in the fourth or so....

But was anyone else annoyed/perplexed that we just let the clock run out when we had the ball at midfield going into the half? We have some fast/big receivers. I just felt like a hail mary was worth a shot there. Maybe you get a touchdown. Maybe you get a pass interference that gets you into FG range. Just felt like doing nothing, with a time out in our pocket, was a pussy play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The great ones control the clock and score the TD.

The average ones score the TD with no care for the clock.

The bad ones don't score at all.

It's lazy on Garrett's part.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

What's ignored in all this is that Garrett DID drain the clock. A lot. That obviously was the plan. However, that last drive had some pucker moments. Remember the 4th and the nose of the ball? So at a certain point you can't get too cute. I realize the narrative being run but it's hard to drain off an exact amount of time and score a TD at the last second. FGs are different of course. Unless it's Madden of course...

You can blame coaching all your want but in the end the defense choked. They let Rogers break contain again and again and it cost them the game. Fucking morons...

Cotton

Staff member
What's ignored in all this is that Garrett DID drain the clock. A lot. That obviously was the plan. However, that last drive had some pucker moments. Remember the 4th and the nose of the ball? So at a certain point you can't get too cute. I realize the narrative being run but it's hard to drain off an exact amount of time and score a TD at the last second. FGs are different of course. Unless it's Madden of course...

You can blame coaching all your want but in the end the defense choked. They let Rogers break contain again and again and it cost them the game. Fucking morons...
Of course you can't time it so you score at the last second when down by more than 3, but what you can do is not throw the damn ball, which nets you zero advantage when it comes to clock management.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Of course you can't time it so you score at the last second when down by more than 3, but what you can do is not throw the damn ball, which nets you zero advantage when it comes to clock management.
Just forcing them to call that last time out alone would have been a huge deal. Because it's much easier to play defense when you know the other team's offense basically can't run the ball.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

While true I (and any other football watching person on this planet) would have more confidence in getting that one yard with three tries over allowing Rodgers any more time than possible to win the game against our defense. Run that ball everytime and even if you fail at least it was with your best unit.

Genghis Khan

It's so telling that he would say this. It's such a part of winning football to know your team and know your opponent in any given situation. and as someone on here somewhere said, and it might have been you in fact, I'll take my chances with Zeke and this offensive line and the ball over our defense having to face Aaron Rodgers. Just dumb.

Genghis Khan

Remember when we stupidly spiked the ball during our comeback in the playoffs last year?

Man, I'm glad we learned from that.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

I am not all hung up on that.

Imagine if we played keep away and won. All we would be talking about today is how uber awesome the D is and how Irving is a monster.

This way, we know this defense is shit. Perhaps we do something about it soon.

Cotton

Staff member

Imagine if we played keep away and won. All we would be talking about today is how uber awesome the D is and how Irving is a monster.

Since we can't do anything about it this season, I would rather have had the win versus some meaningless win of being able to bitch more.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life

Agreed, we're all conditioned to of course get upset in mistakes that lead to losses but even if we had won that game it'd only mask what the defense is right now and allowed the FO/brain trust to delude themselves.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Since we can't do anything about it this season, I would rather have had the win versus some meaningless win of being able to bitch more.
Yeah this team is going to have to scratch and claw to get into the playoffs. Our schedule is absurd. I agree I would much rather have the win. We're not going to escape our defensive issues and they need to coach around them.

I just think all the piling on is a little bit of bullshit. It ignores that the team was trying to burn the clock. They just got to the 11 yard line and decided it was time to stop dicking around and score. I really wish we would have burned more time but I would have been much more angry had we not scored at all.

Top Bottom