Examining Why This Defense Is So Bad And How It Got To Be This Way

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The root of the Cowboys having this flippant attitude towards 1st-3rd picks lies within their front office nepotism.

It's the same thing we've been talking about for at least a decade and a half. The rampant nepotism in the front office has put us in a situation where no one is afraid to lose their job. No matter how bad the Cowboys drafts are, ore how many games we lose, the key decision makers aren't going anywhere. There's absolutely no accountability for the "ultimate decision maker".

Sure they'll step up and give an "awe shucks, we've got to be better. put it all on me" answer at press conferences to keep the fan base buying tickets, but nothing changes. It's all lip service.

Look around the league at other organizations that aren't saddled with nepotism (usually the successful ones). Their GMs are making decisions to win TODAY because they know their jobs and livelihood are on the line if they don't produce. That's not the case in Dallas.
Time for CFRII? Except this time, we boycott until Garrett is gone? :lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Sure they'll step up and give an "awe shucks, we've got to be better. put it all on me" answer at press conferences to keep the fan base buying tickets, but nothing changes. It's all lip service.

Look around the league at other organizations that aren't saddled with nepotism (usually the successful ones). Their GMs are making decisions to win TODAY because they know their jobs and livelihood are on the line if they don't produce. That's not the case in Dallas.
That is a very very good point.

There is no urgency to do the job right because there's no accountability there. Our GM has no one to answer to if he screws up an entire draft or signs someone to a bad contract.

The only hope we have is if the old bastard starts to see the end of his life coming and decides he needs to pull out all the stops in order to see one last SB before he dies.

Outside of that, he's not changing.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't really blame the FO for what's happening right now, beyond their insistence on keeping Garrett. I was pleased with what we did in the draft this year, so I can't blame anybody there. The FA signings were uninspiring but it was similar to what they did going into 2016, so it's hard to blame their thinking there either.

Not trying to re-sign Church, Carr, or at the very least Wilcox and rolling with Heath and all these rookies was arrogant, and is probably the biggest personnel issue. The real problem though is that our coaching is not good enough to work around these issues and adjust until everybody gets up to speed.

With all the changes in the secondary and unexpectedly losing Free I kind of felt like this would be a transition year with having to integrate so many new faces, although while I expected there to be growing pains on defense I didn't think they'd be this bad.

Now, if the FO sits on their hands come next March and doesn't even attempt to make a few mid-tier signings then they should be hung out to dry.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Thoughts?
The Cowboys have not showed the necessary commitment to getting their front 7 right.

Too many resources pumped into the back end.

When they do sink resources into the front 7, they've whiffed.

Their inability to stop the run up front, and inability to get any pressure on Rodgers in the second half, led to their complete collapse.

2233boys

Not So New Member
You also could've mentioned trading up for Claiborne which also cost us the 2nd rounder. Saved ourselves from another 2nd round gamble with a bust.
Drafting a project in the second round last year, taking a gamble on Gregory in the second. drafting Taco in the first.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys have not showed the necessary commitment to getting their front 7 right.

Too many resources pumped into the back end.

When they do sink resources into the front 7, they've whiffed.

Their inability to stop the run up front, and inability to get any pressure on Rodgers in the second half, led to their complete collapse.
In the last 4 drafts we've spent a 1st, two 2nd's, and a 3rd on the DL, along with another very high 2nd on a LB.

That's not nothing, it's just that we take these unnecessary risks on guys like Gregory and Smith instead of going the pragmatic route with someone like A'Shawn Robinson.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
In the last 4 drafts we've spent a 1st, two 2nd's, and a 3rd on the DL, along with another very high 2nd on a LB.

That's not nothing, it's just that we take these unnecessary risks on guys like Gregory and Smith instead of going the pragmatic route with someone like A'Shawn Robinson.
Yeah, thats why I said we've whiffed when we've tried.

It's an increase from the past, considering the investment in Taco, but he's obviously a multi-year project. But Jaylon Smith, Randy Gregory, Tyrone Crawford, all lesser returns than we need for what we invested. Only Lawrence is starting to pay off; though, FWIW, where was he in the second half? Packers had a backup tackle he could have gone up against.

midswat

... soon
I just think we need to be patient and give Jason time to purge all of Wades players.

Also, let him hire his what.... fourth or fifth defensive coordinator.

What we're building here... it's a process.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
I heard this today on B&D radio and was so disgusted. They mentioned that NE is 42-2 in the same circumstance and GB may not have lost any in the same circumstance. So, I didn't watch yesterday cuz the daughter wanted to go to Six Flags, but...I had a friend who was there that texted me hey, boys are up 21-6 at some point early. My response to him was " At the half, GB will make adjustments, Dallas will barely have the ball in the 3rd and GB will take the lead. Dallas will eventually lose this game." This coaching staff is responsible for their lack of adjustment and when you look at losing 10 of 25 games when you score 30 or more, I bet in most of them they lost the same way. That my friends is a coaching issue.

midswat

... soon
I heard this today on B&D radio and was so disgusted. They mentioned that NE is 42-2 in the same circumstance and GB may not have lost any in the same circumstance. So, I didn't watch yesterday cuz the daughter wanted to go to Six Flags, but...I had a friend who was there that texted me hey, boys are up 21-6 at some point early. My response to him was " At the half, GB will make adjustments, Dallas will barely have the ball in the 3rd and GB will take the lead. Dallas will eventually lose this game." This coaching staff is responsible for their lack of adjustment and when you look at losing 10 of 25 games when you score 30 or more, I bet in most of them they lost the same way. That my friends is a coaching issue.
Would have been more believable if you shared your friends name, along with some mundane detail about them that humanizes them, then ending with how everyone around you laughed at how you schooled them.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
You also could've mentioned trading up for Claiborne which also cost us the 2nd rounder. Saved ourselves from another 2nd round gamble with a bust.
And Stephen claimed immediately afterward (so I believe him) that those picks would have been Brockers and Bobby Wagner. Those two would have made a huge difference.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Would have been more believable if you shared your friends name, along with some mundane detail about them that humanizes them, then ending with how everyone around you laughed at how you schooled them.
Friends name is Jayson and I can screen shot the texts if you really want proof. And you know I'm right too.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And Stephen claimed immediately afterward (so I believe him) that those picks would have been Brockers and Bobby Wagner. Those two would have made a huge difference.
If we had Wagner and Brockers on this team we'd probably be Super Bowl favorites in the NFC.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
This was huge, as Jerry stated after the draft that Bobby Wagner would have been the pick. Can you imagine how having drafted Michael Brockers and Bobby Wagner instead of Claiborne could have transformed this defense?

[EDIT] Should have read Chocolate Lab's post before replying

Cujo

DCC 4Life

I am still mad about that shit. I quit watching immediately and broke several items in my home.

Cujo

DCC 4Life

Fuck. Just fuck.

Top Bottom