George: DC Rod Marinelli has plan for helping get NFL-sack leader DeMarcus Lawrence more 1-on-1 opportunities

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
DC Rod Marinelli has plan for helping get NFL-sack leader DeMarcus Lawrence more 1-on-1 opportunities
By Brandon George , Staff Writer

FRISCO - Dallas Cowboys defensive end DeMarcus Lawrence is leading the NFL with 7½ sacks and opponents are taking notice.

The Rams on Sunday slowed Lawrence with double-teams and by chipping him at the line of scrimmage with running backs and tight ends. That's going to be the new normal for Lawrence after his fast start.
His one-on-one opportunities will now be few and far between.

But how will Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli adjust and find a way to free up his best pass-rusher?

Marinelli said he prefers to keep Lawrence at left-side end instead of moving him around. He said he prefers to use stunts and other "games" to help him out.

"He's really comfortable on that side right now and he is taking advantage of those singles," Marinelli said. "We just have to get everybody, when a guy like that starts to get doubled and chipped, somebody else has got to step up."

Marinelli knows offenses won't make life easy on Lawrence going forward.

"I got to find a way to get him in position where I can get him some singles too and there are ways to do that," Marinelli said. "And it's awesome. He's just a warrior. I don't know if you see him sprint to the ball, but that's the part to me, that is what separates a number of guys to a real All-Pro type of player. That is the difference to me. That's what helps your team win.

"He's resilient. He just keeps coming. That's his personality."

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
We need to free ourselves of our shitty head coach and defensive coordinator and bring in some guys who are actually capable. That would help, too.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
We need to free ourselves of our shitty head coach and defensive coordinator and bring in some guys who are actually capable. That would help, too.
A much lauded sentiment that may come to fruition in the middle of the next decade.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I wouldn't move Lawrence at all. But if teams are doubling him then you blitz! They won't have the damn numbers to cover the blitz. But no we are so afraid of doing it.

Top Bottom