More disappointing.....Taco Charlton, Jaylon Smith, or Zeke Elliott???

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Unless I missed it, Taco Charlton hasn't even shown flashes of being a solid pass rusher. Rookie or not, a first round DE is supposed to be a lot better than what he's shown.

Jaylon Smith looks completely lost. Calling him a JAG would be giving him too much credit. IMO, the problem is between his ears rather than his leg. He's scared to take a chance and attack. He'd rather sit back and absorb body blows.

Last year teams stacked the box as well but Zeke made them miss at the LOS and found a way to move the chains. This year he's definitely not the same caliber RB. On at least three occasions today he missed WIDE open cut back lanes that would have netted him at least 10 yard gains. Instead he picked the wrong hole each time and only ended up with a yard or two.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Charlton is an invisible turd.

midswat

... soon
I can’t say Zeke because he showed last week he can still take over a game. For some odd reason, we abandoned the run again today. Six carries in the second half.

I can’t say Jaylon because I had very low expectations for him anyways.

So Taco. I don’t remember him even showing anything thus far.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I agree Taco is the most disappointing.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Charleton is invisible. And remember all the Lawrence praise? Lol.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It’s too soon to see Charlton be a top producer. He is a rookie and trying to grasp the game at this level. I think he will be okay.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
It’s too soon to see Charlton be a top producer. He is a rookie and trying to grasp the game at this level. I think he will be okay.
I know it's way too early to give up on him. And I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a consistent pass rusher at this point either.

But 4 games into the season and he hasn't come close to making a play. He's had a lot of snaps in passing situations yet he doesn't have a single QB pressure. That's troubling, IMO.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I know it's way too early to give up on him. And I don't think anyone is expecting him to be a consistent pass rusher at this point either.

But 4 games into the season and he hasn't come close to making a play. He's had a lot of snaps in passing situations yet he doesn't have a single QB pressure. That's troubling, IMO.
I thought he had a pressure in the Giants game. I've been looking but can't find the stats. Its too early to give up on him but it is a little disappointing.

shane

DCC 4Life
Taco has just been invisible, and I don't see why Zeke should be thrown under the bus. He produced just fine against the Rams and every week except the Denver debacle. It's gotta be Smith. He is just complete dog shit out there on every play. Painful to watch.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I've seen Taco push OL into the lap of the QB a few times, once on the Lewis INT against Denver and then on a red zone incompletion against Arizona I believe, but other than that not much. He doesn't have the athleticism that pops off the screen and he needs to refine his technique.

He was a late bloomer at Michigan and his type of game doesn't translate that well immediately since alot of what he did in college was based on strength, power, and length. He needs to get stronger and learn how to use his length to work his technique, and those are things that take time.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Last year teams stacked the box as well but Zeke made them miss at the LOS and found a way to move the chains. This year he's definitely not the same caliber RB. On at least three occasions today he missed WIDE open cut back lanes that would have netted him at least 10 yard gains. Instead he picked the wrong hole each time and only ended up with a yard or two.
It’s not the same OL either.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I've seen Taco push OL into the lap of the QB a few times, once on the Lewis INT against Denver and then on a red zone incompletion against Arizona I believe, but other than that not much. He doesn't have the athleticism that pops off the screen and he needs to refine his technique.

He was a late bloomer at Michigan and his type of game doesn't translate that well immediately since alot of what he did in college was based on strength, power, and length. He needs to get stronger and learn how to use his length to work his technique, and those are things that take time.
Yeah it's early and his snaps are fairly limited.

Look at other DE's we have drafted in the past. It's pretty rare for them to have much of an impact early in their rookie seasons.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
But....

3.6 yards per carry.....

We could get that from Troy Hambrick.

Fat fuckin drunk.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Taco is what we saw in preseason and should develop. Jaylon is more than we expected we we get at the beginning of the year. Zeke on the other hand.....I mean, Alfred ripped off a 70 plus yarder Sunday so there are holes somewhere. :shrug

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Taco has just been invisible, and I don't see why Zeke should be thrown under the bus. He produced just fine against the Rams and every week except the Denver debacle. It's gotta be Smith. He is just complete dog shit out there on every play. Painful to watch.
Error in my post please disregard.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Taco is being rotated in and getting limited exposure as some here have pointed out. Jaylon is getting too much exposure.

Zeke has been off, though he made some fine redzone running in the first half (when we were near the redzone).

I think defensive schemes as well as too much five-wide have really thrown our offensive playcalling for a loop and gotten us off our game.

We were at our (read Dak's) best vs Arizona when we stayed committed to the run and Dak took some plays outside of the pocket.

We consciously when back to basics and it paid off with a solid road win. People weren't bitching about Dak, Zeke, Jaylon, Taco, etc. then.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Taco Charlton, Cowboys coaches want more production

20937392 Matthew Emmons-USA TODAY Sports
3:15 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Taco Charlton has played in 101 of a possible 238 snaps this season, and the Dallas Cowboys' first-round pick is still looking for his first sack.

Charlton has been credited by the coaches with three tackles, a tackle for loss and a quarterback pressure.

“I’m not satisfied, definitely not,” Charlton told reporters. “Right now, the biggest thing is working in the role I’m given. I’m used to playing 60, 70 plays last year, so getting in a rhythm faster is probably the biggest thing, biggest factor for me.”

Charlton has played just 35.7 percent of the snaps so far. Of the defensive linemen to play all four games, only Brian Price has played a smaller percentage.

With the return of David Irving from a suspension this week, Charlton’s playing time could go down. It is possible he could be inactive. The last time the Cowboys had a first-round pick on the inactive list his rookie year not due to injury was Bobby Carpenter in 2006.

“You’ve heard me say this a lot, it’s about earning your opportunities. It’s about earning the jersey on Sunday, then earning the playing time whether it’s a starting role or a backup role,” coach Jason Garrett said. “With our defensive line we use a lot of different guys there, so even if you’re not a starter, we’d like to get you to play. We’d like to get you some snaps in the ballgame. The better you play, the more snaps you’re going to get.”

Garrett and defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli are OK with what Charlton has done in limited snaps, but, like the player, they’re not totally satisfied either.

“The production has got to get better,” Marinelli said. “Overall production. And he’s getting good looks, enough looks. Now it’s time as the season goes. He’s got to start, the production has to come up at that position. So he’s working hard at it in practice and [it's] just a matter of time.”

Crazy to me that he hasn't played more considering how little we have gotten from the other DEs on the roster.

vince

Not So New Member
Anyone think D-Law's performance is overshadowing anything Taco is doing? Small or large?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Anyone think D-Law's performance is overshadowing anything Taco is doing? Small or large?
I don't think that's the case. I think it's more so that D-law is being given every snap possible at LE because he is playing so well. Which means Taco is playing RE (Probably not his ideal position) and he is splitting that with like 3 other DE's.

Top Bottom