Jaylon Smith starting? lol

Stars

DCC 4Life
He literally stands in the middle of the field until he sees where the ball is going. Look I love the kid, and the fact that he came back from what was damn near an amputation or life-crutches to play in the NFL is amazing to me, but he is a complimentary player at best at this point in his career. Hey in two years, he might be balling, but he does not need to be on the field every damn defensive play. No reaction quickness, just nothing. If he can stop something seven yards after the LOS then he did good. It's just the place we are at right now as a team, because of course, Sean Lee gets hurt when the wind blows. Anyway, yeah.... Jaylon can't play as a starter right now, it's like playing with 10. I focused on him all game and he did nothing, and nothing is good for him, because normally he hurt the team.

Stars

DCC 4Life
He literally stands in the middle of the field until he sees where the ball is going. Look I love the kid, and the fact that he came back from what was damn near an amputation or life-crutches to play in the NFL is amazing to me, but he is a complimentary player at best at this point in his career. Hey in two years, he might be balling, but he does not need to be on the field every damn defensive play. No reaction quickness, just nothing. If he can stop something seven yards after the LOS then he did good. It's just the place we are at right now as a team, because of course, Sean Lee gets hurt when the wind blows. Anyway, yeah.... Jaylon can't play as a starter right now, it's like playing with 10. I focused on him all game and he did nothing, and nothing is good for him, because normally he hurt the team.
I'd take literally anyone over him at this point. A guy off the street that can react with proper quickness, even if he reads the play wrong. Go somewhere fast. Dont float in the middle doing abso nothing.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He was bad today. Probably get credited with a lot of tackles, but the closest one to the LOS was about 4 yards.

midswat

... soon
I said a long time ago after that injury, the absolute best case scenario is he has a Justin Durant like career. Solid and injured occasionally.

He’s far from that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He couldn't pivot.

If the play isn't totally downhill, he isn't making it.

Really, really feel for the kid, but this LBing corps is bad right now.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
He's complete garbage.

Great story, but get him the fuck off the field.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Completely agree. At this point I think the Cowboys would be better off with a veteran street FA linebacker.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Before the season even started I questioned whether or not he was worth the risk. I watched his college highlights. He was a nice player but I didn't see a Ray Lewis like player who was worth taking a gamble on.

I've said several times last year that the Cowboys should have drafted a healthy player to help out their defense rather than rolling the dice on a long shot. Imagine what an extra play maker would have meant to last year's team vs. Green Bay.

It's still very early in his career and he may very well turn it around, but at this point he's a huge liability out there. There's no burst or explosion to the ball. Everything is reactive and always 2-3 steps too late. If Lee can't go net week, Smith shouldn't be option 1 to replace him. Especially against Aaron Rodgers.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'd take literally anyone over him at this point. A guy off the street that can react with proper quickness, even if he reads the play wrong. Go somewhere fast. Dont float in the middle doing abso nothing.
That's what infuriates me when I watch him. He literally just shuffles left to right the first couple of seconds of most plays as he tries to figure out what he needs to do next. By the time he processes the information the RB or WR is already 5 yards down field.

He's trying really hard to replace Byron Jones as my personal whipping boy.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Smith should never have been playing this type of role this early in the year, the plan, I assume, was to have Lee/Hitchens play the majority of the snaps with Smith rotating in.

Well who in the hell do you want to put there in his place? I guess they can dial 1-800-GET A LINEBACKER. Seriously do you know how thin they are at LB right now? Damn sure isn't anyone that can make a difference there. Jaylen is the best we have right now. Why not leave him there? It's not like this team is going anywhere this year. The defense needs more meat, and the OL needs more help along with TE and WR. Lets not kid ourselves by thinking this is the year again because it's not. They will follow up last year with another down year this year like always. Jaylen will take his lumps this year and hopefully next year will be ready for real.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
What's up with his chicken legs?
Doubt you can lift legs heavy with basically one foot.

I still have alot of hope for him, you see the flashes when he's moving downhill, but he has to get fully healthy, has to get comfortable with where he's at physically, and then he just has to continue along the same learning curve that all young players do.

But right now the guy should not be playing anywhere near the amount of snaps that he is, he's just not ready.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Doubt you can lift legs heavy with basically one foot.

I still have alot of hope for him, you see the flashes when he's moving downhill, but he has to get fully healthy, has to get comfortable with where he's at physically, and then he just has to continue along the same learning curve that all young players do.

But right now the guy should not be playing anywhere near the amount of snaps that he is, he's just not ready.
Yep. Smith can perform pre planed exercises for analytical purposes and look impressive because that is what he has been doing in his rehab for over a year. Being throw in the mix where reaction becomes key seems to display some physical hindrance on his part. Things like changing directions instinctively will reveal whether he is fully rehabbed. You have already pointed out some areas that may indicate he can’t play instinctively yet. He seems to be in a reaction mode where he processes first and then reacts. This might be because he still has to deal with the foot positioning first . I dont really know, it just my opinion.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
He has small range quickness but no long range speed if that makes sense. If he has to get out and chase someone down he looks almost like he is flailing. I don’t know if it’s the brace, the leg, the time off or what it is but he lacks that top gear.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Alright, I'm about to drop a Simp.

Fuck off.

The guy almost lost his damn leg and hasn't played football in 2 years. It's going to take a little time. Just imagine how nervous he must be to get into the fray. I mean, he literally almost lost his damn leg doing that very thing. You would be a bit pensive, too. It's just going to take him a little bit to get back to being as aggressive as he was before he was almost wheelchair bound. Patience, assholes.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Alright, I'm about to drop a Simp.

Fuck off.

The guy almost lost his damn leg and hasn't played football in 2 years. It's going to take a little time. Just imagine how nervous he must be to get into the fray. I mean, he literally almost lost his damn leg doing that very thing. You would be a bit pensive, too. It's just going to take him a little bit to get back to being as aggressive as he was before he was almost wheelchair bound. Patience, assholes.
Yea, he's not playing well but I didn't expect a lot from him this year anyway.

Only way he's going to get better is if he keeps playing. And since most of this defense sucks anyway, why take away valuable playing time away from a guy who we hope can become a player in favor of some run-of-the-mill JAG who is only going to be marginally better?

Let him play.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Yea, he's not playing well but I didn't expect a lot from him this year anyway.

Only way he's going to get better is if he keeps playing. And since most of this defense sucks anyway, why take away valuable playing time away from a guy who we hope can become a player in favor of some run-of-the-mill JAG who is only going to be marginally better?

Let him play.
Correct.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I am not gonna weigh in on whether he should be playing or not. Whether he needs the reps or whether he needs the rest, I don't know.

But I don't think he's playing particularly well right now. Not atrocious, but not good either.

Top Bottom