Second Rookie HC to coach circles around Garrett

midswat

... soon
But I know... it’s a process.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
short week .. Rams were well rested .. no Sean Lee .. holding call on Frederick .. etc. those will be the cited culprits.

midswat

... soon
Obviously.

Let’s disregard their excellent second half adjustments with total disregard for our ability to answer.

Garrett is clueless.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Jerry Jones has a decision to make in 2018. He can be content with the 3 Super Bowls he has on his resume from over 20 years ago, or he can check his ego and make a move to actually put his team in a better position to win.

In a league with so much parity games often come down to a coach's preparation Mon-Sat and in-game coaching decisions. Average coaches like Garrett mill around the 6-10 win mark most years. If all goes well they may be able to pull out 12. However once the playoffs start and they're matched up against top tier coaches, coaches in Garrett's class rarely make deep playoff runs.

Right now Jerry's essentially handcuffing the organization with Garrett in charge. I don't want to hear Garrett apologists like Schmitty argue "who are you going to replace him with?" I've listed some names in the past.

Are they guaranteed upgrades? Of course not. But it sure beats the hell out of the status quo. 8-8, 8-8, 9-7, 12-4 w/2nd round playoff loss, 8-8. Rinse. Wash. Repeat.

There are other Dan Quinns, Mike Tomlins, Sean McVays out there.....Jerry just has to stop being lazy and falling back on old golfing buddies and former Cowboy players and coaches.

midswat

... soon
Agreed.

Hell just a new voice would do wonders. Garretts chicken soup for the soul mantras and coachspeak cliches have to be beyond stale. He’s been in charge for a lifetime by NFL standards. Virtually nothing to show for it.

But... Jerry is so comfortable

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
but he saved Turkey Day one year.....

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Garrett is in, what, his 7th or 8th season?

We have 1 playoff win in all that time. One. And we were pretty lucky to get that.

midswat

... soon
Garrett is in, what, his 7th or 8th season?

We have 1 playoff win in all that time. One. And we were pretty lucky to get that.
Yeah but what Garrett is building here will be a dynasty. Not a win one super bowl and rebuild. We will win multiple Super Bowls. Not guessing.

Back to the shadows I go.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's our Marvin Lewis.
That is exactly what he is. The only difference is that Garrett is an "offensive" guy and Lewis is a defensive one. Neither is equipped to take a team over the top and win more than half the time because they can't manage the other side of the football well enough.

And Jerry Jones, as much as "he wants to win" is no more than Mike Brown. And genius Will McClay is Duke Tobin. The parallels are pretty striking.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
I'm pretty much a stick it out guy but I'm done with Garrett.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
This team's ceiling is definitely capped with Garrett.

Two things bother me the most, one, the fact that in our last two home playoff games we came out completely unprepared and more or less got ran out of the stadium in the first quarter. In 2014 we were playing Stafford so we barely pulled it out, in 2016 we were playing one of the best ever so we barely lost.

And two, it never feels like we outcoach or outsmart anybody. Whenever we're moving the ball it primarily feels like the function of pure talent or individual dominance, I don't ever feel like we're scheming guys open in the passing game like so many teams are doing these days.

I realize the 1993 Cowboys ran a simple offense and simply executed better but that's 25 years ago, there's a salary cap now, the rules have changed to make it easier to take advantage in the passing game and scheme guys open with pick plays, the emphasis on illegal contact, etc.

Garrett never was an X's and O's genius to begin with and he is sure as shit isn't going to magically turn into one. We're 7+ years in at this point and I feel like his time is coming soon, hopefully at least.

0% chance he goes after this season unless we somehow bumble our way to 4-5 wins without any serious injuries but more than likely we'll have to wait until after next season, and probably only if we miss the playoffs two years in a row.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
When I saw five-wide again I knew we were in trouble.
I've already made my arguments known about why I hate this set so I'm going to rehash them again.

But I think it speaks volumes about this staff when they keep calling for passes out of this set despite our low success rate out of it. We hardly get anything positive from this set yesterday, and we haven't really gotten much from it all for the entirety of the season.

How many times do you need to see us be unsuccessful from this set before you realize that maybe we just aren't good in it?

This coaching staff is just really poor and they are a hindrance to the team.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
That is exactly what he is. The only difference is that Garrett is an "offensive" guy and Lewis is a defensive one. Neither is equipped to take a team over the top and win more than half the time because they can't manage the other side of the football well enough.

And Jerry Jones, as much as "he wants to win" is no more than Mike Brown. And genius Will McClay is Duke Tobin. The parallels are pretty striking.
Yeah, he's pretty fucking offensive to me.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He's our Marvin Lewis.
Damn. Good comparison.

Unfortunately I think we're stuck with JG for at least another 5 years.

Yeah, he's pretty fucking offensive to me.
And yet even Marvin Lewis has found a way to make the playoffs in consecutive seasons.

But Schmitty will have you believe that Garrett isn't worse than a guy like him.

Unfortunately, I agree with @1bigfan 13

Not even a 6-10 season this year will get rid of Garrett nor will failing to miss the playoffs next year either.

It would take some Dave Campo-type stuff to see any chance of Garrett being fired.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
McVay certainly took our staff to school, no disputing that. We basically had no answer for anything the Rams did.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I cant see how Garrett, Marinelli will escape the hatchet if we go 8-8.

Top Bottom