Sturm: Cowboys' commitment to the plan pays dividends

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By Bob Sturm, Special contributor

Decoding Linehan

There was absolutely nothing easy Monday night for the Cowboys' offense. The Cardinals have a strong defense with solid personnel that was not interested in budging an inch against a Dallas team that needed to bounce back.

It was a classic case of the unstoppable force meeting an immovable object. Neither side was willing to give in, and that is what made the matchup fascinating. In the end, the Cowboys accomplished their ultimate goal of leaving with the win, but they expended a lot of energy in doing so and at various points in the proceedings looked frustrated from the issues that were being presented.

Every week in this space, we look at the offense from a number of perspectives. We want to see the raw numbers, the tactics, the commitment to those tactics and the results. We want to see what they were trying to do and how that worked out for them.

And in a game like this, we have to accept the good with the bad. More importantly, we have to understand how it all works together. I think that is the big key here. People want to know why they don't just run the plays that work more often and run less of the plays that don't work. But that isn't football. Football tells us that they are all related. In fact, a play that doesn't work should sometimes be run again right away with one variable changed slightly, as that is all it takes to yield a huge result that wasn't available on the previous play.

So, it tests your resolve. The other side is trying to shut you down and make you scramble for ideas. And sometimes, you need to change how you do things. But last week, I wrote about how disappointed I was that Denver bluffed the Cowboys out of their plan. It wasn't like Denver destroyed the Cowboys' highly touted run game. It was more that they scared the Cowboys out of trying it with any level of commitment and conviction. They stuffed a few runs, so the Cowboys crumpled up the game plan and threw it in the trash. They conceded to Denver that their best idea was not a good one. They did much better in Arizona -- partially aided by the defense giving them time -- of sticking with the plan and allowing the wear and tear of four quarters to help them outlast the Cardinals as the game went on.

WEEKLY DATA BOX

Ok, let's look above at the numbers. 28 points is strong. 273 yards is not. The difference in yardage production from Denver to Arizona? 5 yards. In Denver, they had 268 and in Arizona they had 273. In other words, Arizona did great defensively to hold the Dak-Zeke Cowboys offense under 300 yards for just the 4th time in 19 regular season games - the last 4 road games they have played. At Minnesota (264), At New York (260), At Denver (268), and At Arizona (273) have been the worst 4 yardage performances of the "21-4" era, so we better not act like everything is better now.

So, that leads us back to 28 points. It was more a function of field position and a few big plays rather than the Cowboys gaining dominance over Arizona.

One other thing we better keep a close eye on is the 3rd down conversion issues. They are very poor this year after being fine overall in 2016. 2-9 for 22% on Monday and 13 for 38 for 34% this season in a league where the average is 39% and where Dallas was over 42% last season. They are 4-4 on 3rd and 1, but beyond that, they are 9 for 34 for 26% on 3rd and more than 1. This must get better or it will result in more of what we saw on Monday - short drives, killed on time of possession, and way to much pressure on a Cowboys defense that looks promising at times - but we better not get carried away about how good they actually are until they sustain some success.

Perhaps this is a good time to go back to the simple question of "what are the philosophies of this Dak Prescott offense?" that I tried to answer in longer form back before Week 1 in a look back at 2016:

-- They were the best first-down rushing team in the league. They averaged 5.1 yards per rush on first downs, making second downs manageable.

-- When you are willing to run and run well on first and second downs, the defense is forced to step up and stop it. That sets up play-action (a pass that, at first, looks like a run), and the Cowboys ran the third-most play-action plays in the league, averaging almost nine yards per play.

-- Also, because of this, they faced third downs in a very advantageous way. Or, often not at all. They converted third downs at a very nice rate (especially with a rookie quarterback)of 42.3 percent.
But, more importantly, they faced the 29th-most third downs. In other words, they never had third downs. And, did you know that in the past three (and even five) years, no team in the NFL has faced fewer third downs than the Cowboys? Thanks, running game!

-- According to Football Outsiders, that also puts the Cowboys as the best red-zone rushing offense and second-best rushing offense in goal-to-goal.

This keeps Dak Prescott in a perfect spot - passing into "light" secondaries. If everyone is sitting run, then you can pass into man-to-man spots and avoid turnovers because avoiding safeties is the best way to avoid turnovers. He makes sound decisions, but they are all aided by the fact that this team puts him in spots where he can pass when he wants.

But, what is the flip side of this equation? Passing when you have to pass - and when the opposition is waiting on you. This is where the windows get smaller, the success rate drops, and QBs get into trouble.

And this is why I keep bringing up the Russell Wilson comparisons. Seattle has done this for years and then they designed a 3rd-down package to compliment what he does well. They never ask him to be Aaron Rodgers. They ask him to use his brain, his feet, and the deception of the design to all work in concert. And that is the task that this organization should embrace over trying to put him in spots where Tony Romo once was. That starts with making sure you are moving the chains on early downs and not putting yourself in 3rd and long very often.

DAK PRESCOTT THROW CHART

I think you can see above that there just wasn't much to watch on Monday from a passing game standpoint. But, what there was wasn't from the pocket. It was from getting him on the move. Which should surprise nobody at this point of his young career. I had some people tell me what Romo could do and couldn't do and I had to remind them that Tony's 1st start was October 29, 2006 when he was 26 years, 6 months old. Dak Prescott will be that age in January of 2020. At that point, he will have a chance at being about 70 starts into his NFL career. So, perhaps cool it on comparing Prescott to a 34-year old Romo for a few weeks.

SHOTGUN vs UNDER CENTER

Periodically, I show you this to demonstrate what the defense sees. It often is just a function of where the QB is standing on what the Cowboys are likely to do. When you consider that the shotgun runs are mostly zone reads, the number gets even more convincing. This sets up play-action, too. The numbers are to give tendencies and then those tendencies are broken at precise moments to give you a real chance to attack.

If you combine that knowledge with the personnel grouping information below, you can really target what the Cowboys are doing in each situation - both good and bad.

PERSONNEL GROUPINGS

Above, you can really see that multiple tight ends was where this thing got rolling on Sunday. Further, you can see that 11 personnel is just not rolling yet. 26 snaps for 100 yards is brutal. This will explain quite a few issues with the offense. It will also explain why Cole Beasley has had a hard time getting as much work - they have to take him off the field when they put on a 2nd Tight End.

It will be a massive key to get the 11 package - under center and shotgun - rolling quickly. Because 11 personnel is where the Cowboys (and everyone) spend the majority of their offense in because of all of the issues it should give a defense. But, for the Cowboys, we have not seen that materialize at all yet in 2017.

But, to all of those that said you cannot run into a loaded box, the Cowboys would show you these numbers and beg to differ. Power versus power, the Cowboys won the day. It wasn't easy, but they stayed committed.

Let's look at some film to try to prove that point and see some other interesting things:

This is a run at 9:59 of the 1Q - 1st offensive snap of the game - out of 12 personnel where 83-Williams is also brought over by Witten and Hanna to provide another blocker on the edge. But, you can see here that the Cardinals DB is able to get inside and Williams actually chases him around the edge (poorly) before Bethel brings down Zeke who has nowhere to go at all. This is a lot of traffic for a team that wants to run versus a team that wants to stop that run.

Here is another run out of 12 personnel. The "Drive Starter" for drive #2 and another very poor effort. Anytime your center has his chest facing his RB when the handoff occurs, you can see that the RB has no chance. Frederick loses badly and Chaz Green on the pull is not getting it done, either. This is the point in the proceedings where frustration is starting to bubble. This won't cut it. Loss of 3 yards.

Drive #3, they keep grinding. This is 3rd and 1 and the Cowboys line up 22 personnel (love it). There is a huge traffic jam here and 32-Mathieu is firing downhill on the run blitz to blow this up. If Zeke can make him miss, it can be huge. Not many RBs will make him miss this easily, but Zeke shrugs him off and is off to the races. Very good sign there. He had no help on the dive bomber. Well done to Elliott, there.

Good work on dusting off the zone read. I think - like Seattle - this needs to be a big part of the diet for the Cowboys offense. You can see that 44-Golden (who I think I like), is sitting hard on Elliott. This was not the right decision for Dak, but, as you know, they went right back to it. As you also may know, it is really easy for me to say what to do from this keyboard. But, it is a blink of an eye decision and you are not always going to get it right. Nice job from the Cardinals here.

We saw this all night. Scott Linehan went right back to a concept a moment later to try it again. I love that demonstration of self-belief in the game plan and the tactics. Look at Dak finish this run and look at the Cardinals panic when they see what happened. 43-Reddick and 41-Bethea are particularly turned around here. Dak just made football look easy there.

2nd drive of the 3Q. Here is a run out of 11 personnel where you try to ask 85-Brown and 83-Williams to block up an outside run and it doesn't really go anywhere. But, since it was 2nd and 2, it did move the chains. 71-Collins needs to do better there.

Now, check out the next play. Look familiar?

Same concept, but with 13 personnel. 84-Hanna and 87-Swaim are in for the 2 WRs. Run it again with Collins hitting his block better, Witten getting just enough, and now Elliott is off to the races again. Gain of 20 and you could argue this run turned the game. One play later, Dallas takes the lead on that Dez Touchdown.

Here is the end zone look:

Witten versus Chandler Jones was the big spot here. But, one arm is not slowing down Elliott.

On to the 4th Quarter. This is where the wear and tear of the 1st 3 Quarter start showing their dividends. You have run the ball at them and now they are tired and feeling the scoreboard working against them. This is when you pull for some play-action.

2nd and 7 with 12:03 to go from the Arizona 37 yard line. This is not a rollout. This is improving because you are asking Hanna to block Golden by himself and Prescott knows he has to get the ball out or he has to get on the run. So he chooses the later, and as you can see, when he rolls to his right, there are no targets but Brice Butler to choose from. He would have had to consider running - Golden is closing in fast - if this didn't look right to him. But, it did.

You can see from the end zone angle that this is just beautiful work. Tell me you don't see Russell Wilson here.

Then, on the very next offensive snap!

1st down, 12 personnel, play-action over the top!

This is a wonderful job all around. Look at those linebackers get sucked into the play-action. And then look at Brice Butler go make a play. Ruthless work, everyone. That is how you go win a road game.

You do that enough times and then you can actually run out of 11 personnel. Here is Zeke left on the next play.

<

And Zeke right with 11 personnel again for a Touchdown and you can start up the bus.

SUMMARY

This wasn't easy and it wasn't pretty. But, it demonstrated what I was looking for - determination and conviction to not give in when an opponent makes it difficult. You are supposed to be a dominant team with a dominant offense. Act like one. When someone tries to stop you, you try to run them over and break their will.

Wade Phillips and the Rams are next. I am sure he has some plans.

Top Bottom