User Tag List

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Dunno What Forum To Put This In...

Quote Originally Posted by Chocolate Lab View Post
    Anyone else not buying this?
    That’s a pretty good way to go. The agency has all the job leads, the employing company pays the expenses and employment fees. You get an opportunity make a good impression and the agency does the salary and benefits package negotiations. A headhunter agency does a lot of the same things. Again they take all the job searches in their bailiwick and get a lot more done than you can as an individual.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun View Post
    Best advice my father gave me was to avoid the HR/personnel departments of companies you're interested in. Your résumé is just one of hundreds they receive, and a lot of the hens who work there have a vested interest in keeping people (i.e. competition) out. Much better to go above their heads and schedule an informational interview or coffee with someone higher up on the company's food chain. Even if they have nothing currently available, they might know someone who does. Also, if you're fortunate enough to get a job offer, don't submit a low salary demand. When you do that, you subtly tell them that you don't have confidence in your abilities. Dad said he once lost a job that way. :-(
    That only works if you have contacts with the company you are wanting to interview with. The companies Human Resources Office works closely with the agencies and they trust their screening process to keep unqualified personnel out of the loop. It wastes their time by taking cold interviews.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    That only works if you have contacts with the company you are wanting to interview with. The companies Human Resources Office works closely with the agencies and they trust their screening process to keep unqualified personnel out of the loop. It wastes their time by taking cold interviews.
    I've never had anyone deny me an informational interview. During the recession of the early 90's, I had more of them than you can count. Most of these middle management types are flattered that you want to pick their brain or learn more about their company. In HR, you're just a faceless name on a piece of paper. Conversely, at the conclusion of an interview, you get to hand them that same résumé in person.

Quote Originally Posted by bbgun View Post
    I've never had anyone deny me an informational interview. During the recession of the early 90's, I had more of them than you can count. Most of these middle management types are flattered that you want to pick their brain or learn more about their company. In HR, you're just a faceless name on a piece of paper. Conversely, at the conclusion of an interview, you get to hand them that same résumé in person.
    Nothing wrong with that approach. It is however a more time consuming effort because you are compiling information that an agency would do for you and an agency has a staff that is gleaning companies that they know is in your target range. An agency can do a lot of heavy lifting for you and free you up from doing research and setting up schedules. They essentially become your screener.
    Since Day One

Quote Originally Posted by boozeman View Post
    Nah, nah.

I am so new to it, I have no idea when I can actually file.

I am hopeful I won't have to, but realistically I will eventually.
    No. Do it NOW, is my advice. NOW and have all your ducks in a row for when this company who used up your best years then threw you away like so much after-Christmas party leftovers, appeals it. They will. But, you'll win if there was no cause. The unemployment office has pros who do this shit for a living, they know what you can file and why. Go Monday, I shit you not.

Really sorry to hear this has happened to you.

Quote Originally Posted by DCUDoomsday View Post
    No. Do it NOW, is my advice. NOW and have all your ducks in a row for when this company who used up your best years then threw you away like so much after-Christmas party leftovers, appeals it. They will. But, you'll win if there was no cause. The unemployment office has pros who do this shit for a living, they know what you can file and why. Go Monday, I shit you not.

I don’t think you can file until you have left the job. Unless there has been changes.
    Since Day One

Agree 100%

My wife got fired for bullshit and filed. Company fought it and they won at first getting her denied any compensation from period a-b. Won't bore you with the details, but she appealed, lined up witnesses on her behalf and then the company rep didn't even show and she was awarded a bunch of back pay.

Quote Originally Posted by L.T. Fan View Post
    I don’t think you can file until you have left the job. Unless there has been changes.
    If I read his post correctly, he has left the job. They gave him 4 weeks severance pay. He's laid off, he does not report to work there anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by BipolarFan View Post
    Agree 100%

My wife got fired for bullshit and filed. Company fought it and they won at first getting her denied any compensation from period a-b. Won't bore you with the details, but she appealed, lined up witnesses on her behalf and then the company rep didn't even show and she was awarded a bunch of back pay.
    If a company terminates you I don’t think they can fight it.
    Since Day One

If I read his post correctly, he has left the job. They gave him 4 weeks severance pay. He's laid off, he does not report to work there anymore.
    Okay. I didn’t read it that way but maybe so.
    Since Day One