Cowboys Cuts

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
DE Shaneil Jenkins, 2 Others Waived/Injured; CB Thomas To Injured Reserve

Monday, August 29, 2016 4:38 PM CDT

By Rob Phillips

@robphillips3

FRISCO, Texas – On Monday, the Cowboys began the process of reducing their 90-man roster to 75 by placing cornerback Josh Thomas on injured reserve and waiving/injured defensive tackle Shaneil Jenkins, linebacker James Morris and cornerback Jeremiah McKinnon.

Signed in training camp after his release from the Broncos, Jenkins had a strong start to preseason with a sack and a forced fumble in the Cowboys’ first two games. But a knee injury had sidelined him for the past week.

The Cowboys re-signed Thomas in March to a one-year deal to compete for a backup cornerback spot, but he injured his thumb in preseason.

Tuesday is the NFL deadline for teams to reach the 75-player roster limit. Saturday is the final roster cut to 53 players.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Sturm was just raving about how he couldn't cut Jenkins. Swing and a miss there Bob.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sturm was just raving about how he couldn't cut Jenkins. Swing and a miss there Bob.
Think they have to do that if they want to put them on IR to save them and I think thats what they want to do.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not really. If he is injured, they can't afford to keep him on the active roster and waiving him now is the only way to get him to IR.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Reserve/PUP (Hanna) - player won't count against the 53-man roster limit. Automatically excluded from practicing or playing with the team for the first six weeks of the season. Teams have a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) during which the player can return to practice.

The Reserve/NFI (Jaylon Smith) - players who will not return to the active roster during the current season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reserve/PUP (Hanna) - player won't count against the 53-man roster limit. Automatically excluded from practicing or playing with the team for the first six weeks of the season. Teams have a six-week window (day after Week 6 to day after Week 11) during which the player can return to practice.

The Reserve/NFI (Jaylon Smith) - players who will not return to the active roster during the current season.
Cowboys Cut Roster To 75, Move Jaylon Smith To NFI

Author: Mike Fisher
August 30, 2016 3:22 PM

By Mike Fisher

FRISCO (105.3 The Fan) – The Dallas Cowboys reached the 75-man roster limit on Tuesday with nine roster moves, including injury-related assignments for linebacker Jaylon Smith, tight end James Hanna and quarterback Kellen Moore.

Moore goes to Reserved/Injured, meaning he’s done for the year. Hanna is on Reserve/PUP and Smith is on Reserve/NFI. Hanna and Smith can come off their respective lists in six weeks. In the rookie Smith’s case, the second-round rookie linebacker is expected to need this season for the nerves in his knee to “re-fire.’’

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Eh. No real surprises but I wonder if we pick up someone on waivers and release another scrub to make room. Gotta churn that roster.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Eh. No real surprises but I wonder if we pick up someone on waivers and release another scrub to make room. Gotta churn that roster.
I'm guessing that could be Austin Davis if for no other reason then we need an extra QB to get through this preseason game.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Wasn't Smiths nerve supposed to be "firing" by now?

I remember reading something (from a Dr) around the draft that if Smith's nerve was not firing at 75% capacity by the start of the season that he would probably never fully recover.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I remember reading something (from a Dr) around the draft that if Smith's nerve was not firing at 75% capacity by the start of the season that he would probably never fully recover.
I t is firing according to him there is a video in the Random thread.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah my understanding is that there is at least some nerve firing. Now if that is 75% or not I don't know. He seemed awfully excited about the progress he has made but it's hard to tell because Jaylon is always one of those really upbeat and positive guys I think. The Cowboys now have 6 weeks to see how he progresses before making a decision on his availability this season. My guess is that he won't play at all this season obviously.

http://www.dallascowboys.com/video/2016/08/30/jaylon-smith-improvement-field

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
I'm still confused about Jenkins. Was he waived or what because according to their official site it makes it seem as if we still have him and he'll be rehabbing with us.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm still confused about Jenkins. Was he waived or what because according to their official site it makes it seem as if we still have him and he'll be rehabbing with us.
He had to be waived in order to be put onto our IR. Once he cleared waivers he went to our IR I believe. Meaning he is rehabbing with us.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

Quick correction. Jaylon Smith can return to the roster after 6 weeks. At least according to this:

http://www.dallascowboys.com/news/2016/08/30/jaylon-smith-placed-nfi-feeling-good-about-rehab-progress

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Joe Fan

Brand New Member
He had to be waived in order to be put onto our IR. Once he cleared waivers he went to our IR I believe. Meaning he is rehabbing with us.
Makes sense now. The part that was throwing me off is that I hadn't seen him officially being sent to IR, just thought he was waved. Thanks for clarifying.

GForce78NJ

Not So New Member

wasn't it the fact that it was going to regenerate but they aren't sure if it will be now or 5 years from now?

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
wasn't it the fact that it was going to regenerate but they aren't sure if it will be now or 5 years from now?
Could have been something like that. I should have clarified that the Dr was talking about playing football in general in the next 2 seasons.

Top Bottom