Archer - Jason Witten: Tony Romo will return sooner than expected, play at high level

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jason Witten: Tony Romo will return sooner than expected, play at high level

2:22 PM ET
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- Nobody associated with the Dallas Cowboys knows Tony Romo better than Jason Witten.

Romo is looking at missing extended playing time for the second straight season because of a compression fracture in his back, but Witten still is there to support his quarterback of 10 seasons and friend of 14 years.

Witten simply recounts 2014 as an example of why Romo will continue to succeed. After undergoing two back surgeries in 2013, including a discectomy that cost him that season’s final game, Romo returned in 2014 and had 34 touchdown passes and nine interceptions.

“People are going to bet against him. That’s fine, and I don’t think that’s unfair to do so,” Witten said. “But if you know what he’s about, which everybody in this building does, he’s going to be back sooner than probably expected and he’ll play better than anybody thought he would, because I know that’s what he’s about. He’s going to prepare himself. This is a minor setback for him, and he’s done it his entire life, and that gives us all a lot of confidence.”

While coach Jason Garrett has yet to even rule Romo out for the season opener, sources have said the Cowboys quarterback will need six to 10 weeks to recover. Romo will be in a back brace for at least the next two weeks, with the aim to keep him as immobile as possible.

While others wonder whether Romo, 36, should consider retirement considering how the injuries have piled up, Witten would never suggest such a thing.

“I would just simply say they don’t know who Tony Romo is,” Witten said. “I mean, (he's) the most competitive individual I ever met, whether it’s golf, basketball, Ping-Pong, cards, obviously football. So along with that you have to understand they’re all different injuries, so it’s not a nagging, continuing on the same injury. So even this we just lump it into one thing.

"I’m not a doctor. I’m not here to give him a sales pitch or anything like that, but I do know what he’s about, I know what his mindset is, and he’ll get back quickly and play at a high level.”
-------------

Not surprising he is sticking up for his BFF.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I love 'em both, a couple of my favorite players from the last ten or so years but I'll believe it when I see it.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Witten is the Iraqi propaganda minister. Nothing to see here. All is well.

townsend

Banned
Why does this sound so familiar? Oh yeah I heard it for a year straight in 2015, also 2010.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Witten is acting as though everything is going to be fine simply because Romo is a competitor. The problem is that all the want to in the world isn't going to do any good if his body does not cooperate. I don't doubt Romo will rush to get back out there but his 'mindset' and 'what he's about' means jack shit if his back gives out or his collarbone snaps again.

I won't be shocked if Romo comes back and plays well this season, but it is no longer something that can just be assumed.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Witten is acting as though everything is going to be fine simply because Romo is a competitor. The problem is that all the want to in the world isn't going to do any good if his body does not cooperate. I don't doubt Romo will rush to get back out there but his 'mindset' and 'what he's about' means jack shit if his back gives out or his collarbone snaps again.

I won't be shocked if Romo comes back and plays well this season, but it is no longer something that can just be assumed.
Or he could come back and have a 1st half like he did vs Carolina last year? Really the last real action we saw of him, and it wasn't good. :unsure

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Or he could come back and have a 1st half like he did vs Carolina last year? Really the last real action we saw of him, and it wasn't good. :unsure
Yes he has missed so many games and so much practice time it is difficult to imagine him being very good when he first comes back. I said I won't be shocked if he comes back and plays well, not that I expect him to.

5Ringzz

Brand New Member
Yes he has missed so many games and so much practice time it is difficult to imagine him being very good when he first comes back. I said I won't be shocked if he comes back and plays well, not that I expect him to.
I still hold my breath when I watch Romo play even when he's "healthy". Waiting for the letdown, collapse, or injury. But I don't feel that way with Dak. It's a different level of excitement and confidence... For now

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
My ortho buddy says 3 months minimum for compression fracture...and thats just an injury to a normal fatass like me. Add contact sports into it and he says 4 months. I think I'll wait till Jerry looks at the X-rays though.

:unsure

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I still hold my breath when I watch Romo play even when he's "healthy". Waiting for the letdown, collapse, or injury. But I don't feel that way with Dak. It's a different level of excitement and confidence... For now
Prescott is just the new thing.

We have been dealing with Romo and the trials and tribulations for so long, it is hard to deal with the mere suggestion of something different.

All I can say is if Prescott continues to knock it out of the park, there is a controversy. And a legitimate one.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Romo will try to come back, but what happens when he's hit again?

Dak will have growing pains and unfortunately we can't afford them.

With this defense every opposing offense we play is going to look amazing, so we'll need our QB to come through in the clutch consistently.

Sorry, Dak, welcome to trial by fire!

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
6 weeks is the Cincinnati game, you just know he's going to push to come back no later than that, perhaps even the week before.

The Bengals defense would be a tough team to make your return against, the smart thing, assuming we aren't like 0-4 by that point, would be to just sit him until after the bye, he'd only miss an extra 2 games but he'd get an extra 4 weeks to heal with the bye.

Top Bottom