Quarterback Tony Romo's back injury is worse than anticipated.

data

Forbes #1
Haiku

Cheers that Romo's back
Oh no Romo's back goes crack
Now we turn to Dak.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:nodno

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

God no.

I did see that Mettenberger could be available. I've always kind of liked him.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself

In a heartbeat I'd sign him to be dak's backup.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'd rather have a backup that I don't already know is god awful.
I actually don't think that matters much. Nobody you can get now is going to be any good. And hopefully they wouldn't have to play anyway, assuming Dak is healthy and playing reasonably decent.

So given those parameters I'd rather have a guy who has seen some shit.

If we had basically nothing like if Showers and Moore were the backups, I'd rather have Mettenberger with designs to get him in there and see if he's got anything. No reason to bring in a young guy with little experience to sit behind our more promising young guy with no experience.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Well, this could actually be a good thing. I'm excited to see what Dak can do.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If we had basically nothing like if Showers and Moore were the backups, I'd rather have Mettenberger with designs to get him in there and see if he's got anything. No reason to bring in a young guy with little experience to sit behind our more promising young guy with no experience.
What does the experience get you? Do you think he will help Dak along? Because Romo will be here for that still. If he plays in a game it will be unwatchable. At least Mettenberger has a chance to be decent as a young QB who is still getting better.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well, this could actually be a good thing. I'm excited to see what Dak can do.
I am too. I hope we continue to use him the way we have all preseason. I love the way we have been using his athletic ability to keep the defense off balance.

townsend

Banned
So let's say Dak starts hot and leads us to a 5-3 start by the time Romo's recovered. Do we actually hand Romo back the spot, or does he get Bledsoed?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So let's say Dak starts hot and leads us to a 5-3 start by the time Romo's recovered. Do we actually hand Romo back the spot, or does he get Bledsoed?
I wouldn't.

Anyone feel like this is sort of like the Any Given Sunday plotline? Veteran injury prone QB gets hurt. Backup gets hurt. Young hot shot African American QB takes over and looks great. Yet the whole season they are just waiting for the old man QB to get healthy enough to play.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I am too. I hope we continue to use him the way we have all preseason. I love the way we have been using his athletic ability to keep the defense off balance.
Really depends on how flexible Garrett and Linehan are to put him in a position to use it.

If a QB can manufacture two or three runs on 3rd downs to convert, it makes a huge difference in winning and losing.

Prescott can do that. Romo has left countless yards on the field the last three-four years.

Question is will they allow, or more specifically encourage, that aspect. Or will they beat into his head to not trust his instincts.

The good thing is that Prescott has displayed remarkable poise and has been opportunistic when he does run. But again, it goes back to how he is handled.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I wouldn't.

Anyone feel like this is sort of like the Any Given Sunday plotline? Veteran injury prone QB gets hurt. Backup gets hurt. Young hot shot African American QB takes over and looks great. Yet the whole season they are just waiting for the old man QB to get healthy enough to play.
I wonder if the Robot rips off little pieces of Pacino's speech like he does everything else.

If you start hearing Garrett saying things like "inch by inch" and "on this team, we fight for that inch", you know it is on.

Minus the passion, emotion and cursing of course.

Cotton

Staff member
Can't believe how out of touch I have been this weekend. Had it not been for a text from Rev, I wouldn't have even known about this until this morning. #fakefan

Cotton

Staff member
I wonder if the Robot rips off little pieces of Pacino's speech like he does everything else.

If you start hearing Garrett saying things like "inch by inch" and "on this team, we fight for that inch", you know it is on.

Minus the passion, emotion and cursing of course.
Marinelli: Listen, Jason, sometimes you just gotta cuss at them.

Garrett: But, I don't cuss, Rod.

Marinelli: Of course you don't, Jason. Of course you don't.

townsend

Banned
I wouldn't.

I've been thinking about that a lot. It was super frustrating finding out how many people I know haven't seen that movie.

Honestly now that we know for sure Romo's had it, a lot of the pressure's off this season. It's not a "window" anymore. All our best players are young, even a 7-9 season from a rookie QB would feel more meaningful than a 9-7, 10-6 season from Romo.

Cotton

Staff member
I've been thinking about that a lot. It was super frustrating finding out how many people I know haven't seen that movie.

Honestly now that we know for sure Romo's had it, a lot of the pressure's off this season. It's not a "window" anymore. All our best players are young, even a 7-9 season from a rookie QB would feel more meaningful than a 9-7, 10-6 season from Romo.
That's the exciting thing to me. We have a relatively young team. Romo's window may be closing, but if Dak truly is for real, then he has (at least on offense) a team already built around him.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's the exciting thing to me. We have a relatively young team. Romo's window may be closing, but if Dak truly is for real, then he has (at least on offense) a team already built around him.
What I did like is how the "leaders" like Witten and Bryant seemed to endorse Prescott and everyone seemed excited when he would make plays.

Cotton

Staff member
Mailbag: Will The Cowboys Keep Romo On The Roster During His Recovery?
Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:04 AM CDT

PATRICK DUNN
MANSFIELD, OH

Should the team make Romo the No. 3 QB while he heals so he could be available during games to help Prescott or Showers instead of a short-term IR designation?

Bryan: I would use him as the 3rd quarterback if his health allowed. There is a side of me that believes that he will be ready before the short-term IR designation runs out.

David: It’s a tricky situation, because Romo is essentially a wasted roster spot for the time being. However, if they put him on injured reserve, he wouldn’t be able to play until Nov. 6 against Cleveland. I think they’re going to carry him as their third quarterback. If it takes him seven or eight weeks to recover, he might be ready to go as soon as Oct. 16 at Green Bay. The risk of keeping him on the roster is worth the reward if he can return quickly.

Top Bottom