Pre-Season Chatter Thread | Cowboys v Seahawks | 08/25/16

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As the offseason goes on you start to sort of forget how brittle Romo looked last year. You start to think that maybe he can have another healthy year. Last night was just a cold reminder that Romo can't physically take a hit any more. And no NFL QB goes through a game without being hit sometimes.
Exactly, and that is why I don't think anything could have been done about last night.

As I said, it wasn't an extremely risky play. It was a football play that put the QB under duress that he's going to experience a handful of times a game. There is nothing he can do to avoid it or to protect himself from it.

If he can't even go through that without getting hurt, then it's time to take the dog out back and put him to sleep. :sad

Jiggyfly

Banned
I understand people wanting him to protect himself, but I agree with [MENTION=3]boozeman[/MENTION]. I don't think there was anything extreme about that play. As Booze said, he was just playing football.

I mean, it isn't like he did what Wilson did later in the game where he was running all over the place. Romo felt the pressure, moved out of the pocket and tried to extend the play and when he saw he was at risk, he went to slide. The play was just kind of freaky in that it resulted in back side pressure and he landed on Romo awkwardly because Romo had already begun his slide.

Basically what I'm saying is, if Romo can't even do that, then the poor guy is finished. It was a simple football play and he got hurt on it, and that's a bad sign for anyone who was hoping he might have one last extended season in him.
It was preseason no need to be trying to make plays on the 1st series.

It was the epitome of of Romo trying to hard instead waiting to fight another day or another series.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Exactly, and that is why I don't think anything could have been done about last night.

As I said, it wasn't an extremely risky play. It was a football play that put the QB under duress that he's going to experience a handful of times a game. There is nothing he can do to avoid it or to protect himself from it.

If he can't even go through that without getting hurt, then it's time to take the dog out back and put him to sleep. :sad
Dude, he should have like thrown the ball away and stuff. Even though he had no idea the guy was bearing down on him from behind. He slid to avoid the obvious contact in front of him. There is no way in hell he could have known the guy was about to fall on him from behind. To suggest otherwise is retarded.

Jiggyfly

Banned

That's the thing he could avoid and protect himself.

THROW THE BALL AWAY.

He was out of the pocket and instead of sliding he could have just thrown it away and avoid any unnecessary contact.

It was the freakin 1st series of the game and he was already looking to run, alarm bells went off as soon as he left the pocket.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dude, he should have like thrown the ball away and stuff. Even though he had no idea the guy was bearing down on him from behind. He slid to avoid the obvious contact in front of him. There is no way in hell he could have known the guy was about to fall on him from behind. To suggest otherwise is retarded.
You know what else he could done to avoid the obvious contact dude.

Throw the ball away.

He actually lost yardage by not throwing the ball away and stuff.

Cotton

Staff member
In reference to Romo.

Cotton

Staff member
You know what else he could done to avoid the obvious contact dude.

Throw the ball away.

He actually lost yardage by not throwing the ball away and stuff.
He was right at the LOS. He had to react quickly. He may not have even known he hadn't crossed the LOS yet.

If you take away Romo's scrambling, you take away half his game. Let him play. If he's going to get hurt by someone falling on him then he isn't going to make it very long in the season, anyway.

Jiggyfly

Banned
He was right at the LOS. He had to react quickly. He may not have even known he hadn't crossed the LOS yet.

If you take away Romo's scrambling, you take away half his game. Let him play. If he's going to get hurt by someone falling on him then he isn't going to make it very long in the season, anyway.
It was the 1st series of a preseason game there was not need to put himself at risk.

Yes it was a freak play but he could have avoided the risk by just throwing the freakin ball away it's not like he was even looking downfield he initially was looking to actually run for a few yards.

And as we have seen repeatedly sliding is no guarantee to not getting hit anyways, especially in preseason where getting tossed is not big deal.

Where was the reward to put himself at risk on that play?

Cotton

Staff member
It was the 1st series of a preseason game there was not need to put himself at risk.

Yes it was a freak play but he could have avoided the risk by just throwing the freakin ball away it's not like he was even looking downfield he initially was looking to actually run for a few yards.

And as we have seen repeatedly sliding is no guarantee to not getting hit anyways, especially in preseason where getting tossed is not big deal.

Where was the reward to put himself at risk on that play?
Again, he couldn't see the guy bearing down on him from behind. There was no way for him to know that threat was even there.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol

I'm guessing he's getting fined for the late hit and saying he went for the cheapshot. Clean up the game Mr. God-El :shrug

townsend

Banned
If Romo can't survive that hit, I don't know if he can possibly be careful enough. This is the 3rd time in a year he's gone off the field injured by a hit that didn't seem very severe at all. I have to wonder if he has the durability to play the position at all any more.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
It's been quiet so to me that's not a good sign. I'm sure it's being reevaluated but you would think we would have heard something.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It's been quiet so to me that's not a good sign. I'm sure it's being reevaluated but you would think we would have heard something.
Saw a tweet earlier saying Jerry said Romo wasn't even going to have an MRI and he was fine but surely they couldn't be that reckless with his health :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Saw a tweet earlier saying Jerry said Romo wasn't even going to have an MRI and he was fine but surely they couldn't be that reckless with his health :unsure
If Romo comes out just saying his back muscles are a little sore I can't imagine they will do much else.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
If Romo can't survive that hit, I don't know if he can possibly be careful enough. This is the 3rd time in a year he's gone off the field injured by a hit that didn't seem very severe at all. I have to wonder if he has the durability to play the position at all any more.
This injury shouldn't keep him out but I think there's 0% chance he plays a full 16 game season again. This is 3 times now he's been knocked out of a game in his last 5 starts including preseason. He's turned into Mr Glass and I don't think we can reliable on him. It's not really of question of if he gets injured this year but when and how long he'll be out.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
It was a weird hit that put a lot of pressure on Romo's lower back and at a twisted angle at that. Short of the knee to the back he took in 2014, that's as bad a shot as his back is going to get.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It was a weird hit that put a lot of pressure on Romo's lower back and at a twisted angle at that. Short of the knee to the back he took in 2014, that's as bad a shot as his back is going to get.
I agree, I don't understand why people were saying that hit wasn't bad. He got crushed pretty good from what I saw.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I agree, I don't understand why people were saying that hit wasn't bad. He got crushed pretty good from what I saw.
Yeah the torque was terrible that was the worst possible angle and impact for somebody with a bad back.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Right. Getting folded up from behind with a 260 lb guy on your shoulders that was running full speed has to put a lot of torque on the lower back. That shit would hurt anybody, no matter the age.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Sitting down and starting to "break down the film", also known as watching the game not drunk off my shit.

Seattle's first drive, Jesus Christ, McClain is a fucking stiff.

Why is he starting over Thornton?

Top Bottom