Quarterback Tony Romo's back injury is worse than anticipated.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
What I did like is how the "leaders" like Witten and Bryant seemed to endorse Prescott and everyone seemed excited when he would make plays.
Which is extremely important to have as a rookie in this situation. Having the buy-in from the vets is invaluable to his potential success.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Mailbag: Will The Cowboys Keep Romo On The Roster During His Recovery?
Sunday, August 28, 2016 11:04 AM CDT

PATRICK DUNN
MANSFIELD, OH

Should the team make Romo the No. 3 QB while he heals so he could be available during games to help Prescott or Showers instead of a short-term IR designation?

Bryan: I would use him as the 3rd quarterback if his health allowed. There is a side of me that believes that he will be ready before the short-term IR designation runs out.

David: It’s a tricky situation, because Romo is essentially a wasted roster spot for the time being. However, if they put him on injured reserve, he wouldn’t be able to play until Nov. 6 against Cleveland. I think they’re going to carry him as their third quarterback. If it takes him seven or eight weeks to recover, he might be ready to go as soon as Oct. 16 at Green Bay. The risk of keeping him on the roster is worth the reward if he can return quickly.
These idiots are going to rush him back too soon yet again...

Cotton

Staff member
These idiots are going to rush him back too soon yet again...
Hell, there already are mixed reports coming out as to when he is expected back. You can damn sure bet even if Dak tears it up, they start Romo as soon as they possibly can.

Cotton

Staff member

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Hell, there already are mixed reports coming out as to when he is expected back. You can damn sure bet even if Dak tears it up, they start Romo as soon as they possibly can.
Yep I know

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Poor bastard is in denial himself.

He says it's not age or wear and tear and yet that is exactly what it is. The wear and tear is getting worse with age, and at 36, his body can't take it anymore.

I mean, does he really think suffering significant injuries in 3 of the last 4 seasons and missing games in every single one of the last four seasons is just bad luck?
Even though it was a hard hit I think most QBs in the league bounce up from that hit with little to no issues.

Unfortunately as you mentioned, Romo has age and previous injuries working against him.

One of the top priorities of the 2017 off-season should be moving on from Romo. Regardless of his pleas.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Even though it was a hard hit I think most QBs in the league bounce up from that hit with little to no issues.

Unfortunately as you mentioned, Romo has age and previous injuries working against him.

One of the top priorities of the 2017 off-season should be moving on from Romo. Regardless of his pleas.
Agree, if anything let him take over as qb coach

Jiggyfly

Banned
I am starting to get a Favre vibe concerning Romo, he is going to want to hang around long after his due date.

As long as Garrett is here there is never going to be competition for the starting spot.

I also think Romo was a little spooked by all the Dak love and that's why he was trying to "make a play" in such a meaningless game.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What does the experience get you? Do you think he will help Dak along? Because Romo will be here for that still. If he plays in a game it will be unwatchable. At least Mettenberger has a chance to be decent as a young QB who is still getting better.
Is he? Didn't the Titans pretty much hand him the job in 2014 and he failed miserably.

He was your pet cat going into the draft wasn't he? :art

Cotton

Staff member

"That's not the world we live in." Well, at least he is honest about it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
So let's say Dak starts hot and leads us to a 5-3 start by the time Romo's recovered. Do we actually hand Romo back the spot, or does he get Bledsoed?
Hell no you don't go back to Romo. I consider him Bledsoed at that point.

You thank him for his services then tell him to be a good teammate and grab some pine.

1bigfan13

Staff member
He's going to go out there drugged out of his mind on painkillers.

Jiggyfly

Banned

I don't know about bouncing up, the way his back was crunched was very traumatic that was a lot of force at a weird angle.

But yeah his age definitely contributed.

Cotton

Staff member
He's going to go out there drugged out of his mind on painkillers.
Since the team most likely won't do the right thing, you just gotta hope his wife puts her foot down and tells him he shouldn't play for the sake of his kids.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I am starting to get a Favre vibe concerning Romo, he is going to want to hang around long after his due date.

As long as Garrett is here there is never going to be competition for the starting spot.

I also think Romo was a little spooked by all the Dak love and that's why he was trying to "make a play" in such a meaningless game.

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out.
I get that sense as well. I think they should give him another chance but I just don't want him to hold us hostage waiting on the improbable.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

:lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So let's say Dak starts hot and leads us to a 5-3 start by the time Romo's recovered. Do we actually hand Romo back the spot, or does he get Bledsoed?
My guess is Romo gets inserted back in.

Jerry loves him to death and Garrett treats him more like a buddy than a coach/player relationship. Because of those relationships, he gets a shot as soon as he's physically able to play.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Exactly.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Is he? Didn't the Titans pretty much hand him the job in 2014 and he failed miserably.

He was your pet cat going into the draft wasn't he? :art
I would think all QBs in their first few years in the NFL are getting better. And in 2014 he posted a respectable 80 something QB rating on a shit team. And yes he was my pet cat

Top Bottom