Quarterback Tony Romo's back injury is worse than anticipated.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
another year down the drain. really unfair to Dak too, who shouldn't be pressed into service this fast. but that's what happens when Jerry neglects the position.

p1_

DCC 4Life
y'all , his body has thrown in the towel.he can no longer take the punishment plain and simple. time to just admit it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
what? next year? wake the fuck up. it's done, today. not next year FFS
:lol

Calm the fuck down, buddy.

I speak of next year because there are no options for them to phase Romo out this year. FA and the draft have passed. The only thing available are the Kellen Moores and Brandon Weedens of the league. And I don't think any of us would consider QBs of that caliber part of the "Romo phase out plan".

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
As an aside, Romo is going to be absolutely miserable in about 10-15 years.

His back is a total mess and when he wakes up every single day in discomfort, he's going to wish he hadn't sacrificed his body so much.

P_T

Baddest MoFo Around
If Romo isn't 100% done, he's damn close.

Hopefully Dak proves to be a competent place holder and if he isn't, QB needs to be the #1 priority next year. I don't care if it's through the draft or free agency.
You were kidding right? Free agency? The landscape for the quarterback position is so abysmal right now that finding the next "franchise quarterback" is becoming a hopeless endevor... the 49ers have BOTH Christian Ponder and Blane Gabbert on their roster along with the guy they just paid to be their franchise guy not too long ago, and it is Ponder who looks to be their starter. The draft is not a much better option... the guys that went first and second, are not playing well or not playing at all.

Once Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rivers, Manning, and Romo are gone, outside of Luck and Wilson... who looks to be the future of the NFL at that position?

1bigfan13

Staff member
Well... maybe Romo will get "Bledsoe'd" by Dak.
another year down the drain. really unfair to Dak too, who shouldn't be pressed into service this fast. but that's what happens when Jerry neglects the position.
I'm going to look at it from this perspective:

Sometimes it takes strokes of bad luck for dysfunctional franchises to get on the right track.

Similar to the Kellen Moore injury. Had he not broke his ankle we'd be readying ourselves for another round of Moore's piss poor play.

So maybe this latest Romo injury is another example of the Cowboys lucking into something special.

As I said above, if Romo misses 10 games and the Cowboys manage to win 5 or 6 of those games, I'm not taking Dak out of the lineup. Romo can carry the clipboard.

1bigfan13

Staff member
You were kidding right? Free agency? The landscape for the quarterback position is so abysmal right now that finding the next "franchise quarterback" is becoming a hopeless endevor... the 49ers have BOTH Christian Ponder and Blane Gabbert on their roster along with the guy they just paid to be their franchise guy not too long ago, and it is Ponder who looks to be their starter. The draft is not a much better option... the guys that went first and second, are not playing well or not playing at all.

Once Brady, Roethlisberger, Brees, Rivers, Manning, and Romo are gone, outside of Luck and Wilson... who looks to be the future of the NFL at that position?
Yeah, about the only thing you can find in free agency these days are backup caliber QBs. But targeting one of those QBS should be part of the Romo phase out plan.

If Dak has a strong season similar to Russell Wilson in 2012, I would honestly cut Romo and look for a cheap backup. Assuming the cap hit wouldn't be too ridiculous.

1bigfan13

Staff member
2 out of 3 ain't bad.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I'm excited. Time to move on and see if the youngster is the future or not.
I am too. It's something new and exciting.

Even with a healthy Romo this team was likely only winning 7 or 8 games.

If another 8 win season is the payoff, and it likely was, I'd rather try to build for the future with a young promising player.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The next question is, do the Cowboys let Dak play in the final preseason game.

I know he needs the reps but I'm inclined to say no.

No sense in sending him out there and exposing him to hits from overzealous fringe players who will be working their ass off to make the final cut.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I look forward to the QB controversy when Romo comes back and we're 6-2 with Dak playing his ass off.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The next question is, do the Cowboys let Dak play in the final preseason game.

I know he needs the reps but I'm inclined to say no.

No sense in sending him out there and exposing him to hits from overzealous fringe players who will be working their ass off to make the final cut.
On the other hand that is the intensity he will face in the following weeks so I could be beneficial to him.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Of course there will be bumps in the road unless Dak is some kind of prodigy. Coordinators will start throwing the sink at him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I know this will not happen because Jerry is far too loyal but after this year we actually save money if he is cut.

5 million next year.

Has anybody checked on Kidd?:unsure

Jiggyfly

Banned
Oh yeah and this is the reason he should have just thrown the ball away in a preseason game.:budd

Top Bottom