Sturm: Cowboys Morning After - It Is All About Those Quarterbacks - Again

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Sturm: Cowboys Morning After - It Is All About Those Quarterbacks - Again

By Bob Sturm , Special contributor

The amount of time, stress, credit, and blame that is normally issued to Quarterbacks always seems overdone until your QB is lying motionless on the turf with a grimace on his face and pain in his body.

From there, you have the normal routine where he is helped off, while the world watches each expression and conversation that follows and reads meaning into all of it. Next, you get word that the player wants back into the game (which we knows is the default instinctive setting for every football player who has ever walked the earth: "I am ok, coach") and the medical staff shake their head behind his back.

The other QB gets put in the game and now the media and the fans go to work. "He is done!" and "He is Fine!" compete at louder and louder voices. Team officials and even the player assure us that everything is fine in that "Baghdad Bob" sort of way.

But, if everything was fine, please explain the grimaces that were caught on camera 30 minutes later and the fact that Tony Romo was not even on the sideline after halftime. Everything is not fine. That is the same thing that has seemed abundantly clear now since Week 16 in 2013, frankly. The Cowboys have a great QB who has done wonderful things - and wishes to do greater things in the future - that has a body that is never going to be able to take what it once did.

And that was on display again last night in Seattle. We can debate whether he should have played at all and we can certainly debate whether he needs to be extending plays in August that risk his health, but what can't be debated is that this is the new normal. Every time he takes a hit, there is now going to be the normal breath-holding and over-examination of his every reaction for the rest of his career.

This is not a question of his toughness. He has proven that to anyone who watches. This is not a question of willingness or even hard work to make his body more sturdy. We get it, he has done the rehab and the work and listened to the doctors. But, I don't know how many more examples we need of seeing a guy demonstrate in front of millions that his body can't handle what the NFL asks of it at the normal level anymore.

And, this isn't about last night. Maybe this one was minor and he can play in the opener. Maybe. But, unfortunately, another part of the new normal is that opponents will show no mercy and if there is a chance to push Romo out of the game, you must believe that they will attempt to bring the pain. And the target area to attack? Well, pretty much anywhere from his waist up to his neck. It is all battered and damaged from wear and tear over the years.

Washington 2013, Home against Washington 2014, At Philadelphia 2015, Home on Thanksgiving against Carolina 2015, and now Seattle 2016. They are happening more frequently, despite the public proclamations that he has never felt better and is in the best shape of his career. I am skeptical, to say the least. We all hope the guy is fine, so arguing against this belief makes people take sides. It isn't about that. Anyone who follows this team would happily sign up for another decade of 25-year old Romo, but that guy doesn't live here anymore.

So, just 3 plays into this "dress rehearsal", the Cowboys got to see the very real possibility of needing "QB2" to play significantly in a big situation come true. There is no way they thought that they were drafting Dak Prescott to be his opening day backup plan - which, yes, could mean that if the next flurry of health tests on #9 don't go well, the rookie is your opening day starter. Holy cow.

Could you imagine how today might feel if Prescott was playing QB as just about every rookie plays in their first preseason? Instead, this young man doesn't quit impressing. He is as poised and calm as one could dream. He literally looks in complete control as he diagnoses another blitz and delivers most balls on time and on location.

It certainly doesn't take a genius to see that everything is being hurried now. Kellen Moore drops and we wonder if Dak Prescott can be a backup in 2016. He jumps that hurdle with 2 fantastic preseason performances and now it seems like the obvious challenge. But, wait, we are going to raise the bar again? Yes, Tony Romo looks vulnerable on his 3rd snap and now people are actually wondering if Prescott is capable of being the starter right now. And why are they wondering? Because there may not be much of a choice in the matter. And if it isn't to start the Giants game, is it to finish it? Is it Week 4 or Week 9? Is it October or November when Tony can't play? And if that is the case, who is Prescott's backup plan?

Wow. Life comes at you fast. A month ago, this all seemed positively nutty. Now, we sit here on August 26th and a player that was drafted #135 just a few months back now may be holding the steering wheel long before 2018.

Again, let's all let this run its course. But, to call this panic is just denial. Denial from Cowboy fans, yes. But, maybe also denial from the General Manager (who has to juggle talking about this crisis while peddling boxing tickets on his broadcasts. Very few GMs are asked to do this.) and from the Quarterback himself. Did you see that quote?

"I honestly think anyone who didn't have a back injury, you wouldn't want to be in that position when you're going into a slide and all of a sudden you're crunched like that,'' Romo said.
"The fact we dodge a bullet is a good thing. I also think probably from the back being stronger allowed me to probably get through that.''

Prescott looks really solid. He will need to decide when to roll the dice with risky throws, like his touchdown to Jason Witten, but that is normal for any QB - rookie or not. Otherwise, he provides an element with his feet that seem to fit wonderfully with the skill-set of Ezekiel Elliott. That zone read scheme that they wouldn't dream of running with Romo seems to be a perfect plan out of 11 personnel for the two rookies. Mismatches all over the field with Dez, Beasley, Terrance Williams, and Witten if the teams load up to stop the run. If they don't, Elliott will have a light box to battle with Dak keeping them honest. Think the 2012 Redskins, but without a skinny QB and with a game-breaking receiving corps.

But, that is the next era, and we were under the impression we should have 2 more years in the present tense before moving to the future.

Now, once again, nobody knows. It feels like we are acclimating to our "new normal".

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And that was on display again last night in Seattle. We can debate whether he should have played at all and we can certainly debate whether he needs to be extending plays in August that risk his health, but what can't be debated is that this is the new normal. Every time he takes a hit, there is now going to be the normal breath-holding and over-examination of his every reaction for the rest of his career.
There is nothing to debate here. He absolutely should have played and I actually think he needs to play a series in what is usually a meaningless game 4.

Even long time vets need some reps in the preseason because going into week 1 completely cold is never good no matter who you are. We tried this with Romo in 2014 and we all remember how awful he looked in that opener vs San Francisco.

If he's done then he's done. Never letting him play and wrapping him in cotton balls is going to change the inevitable. If his body is done, then it's only a matter of when, not if, he's going down for good. The best we can hope for, IMO, isn't that Romo play a full season -- it's that he plays long enough to get Dak ready to play regular season football. My guess is that by no later than November, Prescott will be starting because Romo will be hurt.

I just hope he's ready for it.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
One of these days, probably sooner than later, Romo is going to have his Aikman/Arrington moment and that will be it. There's no getting around it and no amount of coddling him in practice will change that. You could assemble the greatest offensive line in the history of all football but he's going to get hit at some point and when "the hit" happens, there's not a damn thing anyone will be able to do about it. He's on the downside of his career, playing on borrowed time.

On a personal level, he's married with two young kids. All the money in the world couldn't keep me playing a sport if I thought there was even a chance that I couldn't play with my kids ten years down the road.

Jiggyfly

Banned
There is nothing to debate here. He absolutely should have played and I actually think he needs to play a series in what is usually a meaningless game 4.

Even long time vets need some reps in the preseason because going into week 1 completely cold is never good no matter who you are. We tried this with Romo in 2014 and we all remember how awful he looked in that opener vs San Francisco.

If he's done then he's done. Never letting him play and wrapping him in cotton balls is going to change the inevitable. If his body is done, then it's only a matter of when, not if, he's going down for good. The best we can hope for, IMO, isn't that Romo play a full season -- it's that he plays long enough to get Dak ready to play regular season football. My guess is that by no later than November, Prescott will be starting because Romo will be hurt.

I just hope he's ready for it.
So let me get this straight just because he looked rusty in one game (which had more to do with his greatly diminished snaps during the offseason because of back surgery, but whatever)

Than look at the fact that he had arguably his best season ever while still having diminished reps that preaseason, how does that make any sense.:shrug

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
So let me get this straight just because he looked rusty in one game (which had more to do with his greatly diminished snaps during the offseason because of back surgery, but whatever)

Than look at the fact that he had arguably his best season ever while still having diminished reps that preaseason, how does that make any sense.:shrug
It makes perfectly good sense. He's having his snaps diminished here too just like in 2014.

Are you saying you're ok with him coming out rusty in week 1 and possibly sacrificing a game? This team isn't good enough to just give away games, and that's what could happen if a rusty Romo hits the field in week 1 like he did in 2014.

It's not rocket science.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It makes perfectly good sense. He's having his snaps diminished here too just like in 2014.

Are you saying you're ok with him coming out rusty in week 1 and possibly sacrificing a game? This team isn't good enough to just give away games, and that's what could happen if a rusty Romo hits the field in week 1 like he did in 2014.

It's not rocket science.
I agree with you. I actually think he needs to get hit a little to get back to being comfortable and being his old self. I don't see the harm in letting him play a series or two. The guy has literally played 2 series all preseason. And this is coming off last season when he played barely at all. That's a really long layoff from playing actual live action. It's not like he is coming off a career year. He is coming off a year where he played in like 4 games. And honestly if he gets hurt in 2 more series in a preseason game I wouldn't hold it against the coach. Romo has zero chance of surviving this season if he can't handle that.

The one reason I might not play Romo though is if his back is still hurting him. You want him to start the season as healthy as possible. If he needs to rest the back up then do so.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I agree with you. I actually think he needs to get hit a little to get back to being comfortable and being his old self. I don't see the harm in letting him play a series or two. The guy has literally played 2 series all preseason. And this is coming off last season when he played barely at all. That's a really long layoff from playing actual live action. It's not like he is coming off a career year. He is coming off a year where he played in like 4 games.
Exactly -- and this is what [MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION] apparently isn't getting. He's been out of football for a long time and we already saw what he played like the last time we coddled him going into a season and limited his preseason playing time in hopes that he didn't get hurt.

We don't need that to happen again.

And honestly if he gets hurt in 2 more series in a preseason game I wouldn't hold it against the coach. Romo has zero chance of surviving this season if he can't handle that.
Again, this is spot on. If he gets hurts just playing simple football, then he's just done physically and it isn't anyone's fault. If he's done, then he's done. No amount of protection is going to prevent the inevitable.

The one reason I might not play Romo though is if his back is still hurting him. You want him to start the season as healthy as possible. If he needs to rest the back up then do so.
Of course.

I'd prefer he get in some work in the last game, but if his back is hurt then he needs to sit out. But if his back is hurt, then he'll be hurt again before we get to October.

Jiggyfly

Banned

It's not rocket science.
And in 2014 he had his best year ever.

With diminished snaps.

Your right it's not rocket science.

What I am saying is I will sacrifice one game if I can have the year Romo had point blank.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Exactly -- and this is what [MENTION=63]Jiggyfly[/MENTION] apparently isn't getting. He's been out of football for a long time and we already saw what he played like the last time we coddled him going into a season and limited his preseason playing time in hopes that he didn't get hurt.

We don't need that to happen again.

Again, this is spot on. If he gets hurts just playing simple football, then he's just done physically and it isn't anyone's fault. If he's done, then he's done. No amount of protection is going to prevent the inevitable.

Of course.

I'd prefer he get in some work in the last game, but if his back is hurt then he needs to sit out. But if his back is hurt, then he'll be hurt again before we get to October.
What don't we need to happen?

Him have the best year of career?

Because that's what he had in 2014 when he was coddled.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The defender drove Romo's lower back into the ground at a weird angle. I can't recall a hit quite like it and I'm glad Romo appeared to recover from it quickly.

Ben Roethlisberger years ago talked about how hard it is getting used to being hit again at the start of every season. Even years of QB'ing doesn't really prepare you for it, especially as your body ages.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
And in 2014 he had his best year ever.

With diminished snaps.

Your right it's not rocket science.

What I am saying is I will sacrifice one game if I can have the year Romo had point blank.
What don't we need to happen?

Him have the best year of career?

Because that's what he had in 2014 when he was coddled.
:lol

So if I'm understanding you right, you're saying we should continue to limit his snaps because even if he comes out rusty and loses week 1, that's ok because the last time that happened, he had a career year and you think it's all gonna play out like that again?

You really like the odds of that happening again? We'll win 12 out of our last 15 games again with Romo having another career year? At 36 with a battered body, no less?

I sure hope you're not a betting man taking odds like that.

And by the way, he didn't have a career year because he was protected in the offseason and camp, he had that year because we had a great running game to support him with. So protecting him isn't going to do him any good this season.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Romo needs to play again before the regular season starts. It's a waste of resources for the entire team if he has to knock off the rust of the off season in the regular season. Not a difficult decision. If he is so fragile that his well being compromises the team then the organization needs to find out as soon as possible. Play him or sit him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

So if I'm understanding you right, you're saying we should continue to limit his snaps because even if he comes out rusty and loses week 1, that's ok because the last time that happened, he had a career year and you think it's all gonna play out like that again?

You really like the odds of that happening again? We'll win 12 out of our last 15 games again with Romo having another career year? At 36 with a battered body, no less?

I sure hope you're not a betting man taking odds like that.

And by the way, he didn't have a career year because he was protected in the offseason and camp, he had that year because we had a great running game to support him with. So protecting him isn't going to do him any good this season.
No what I am saying is using that one game to prove a point does not stack up when you look at the entirety of his season.

He will have those same things this year to protect him so what's your point?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Romo needs to play again before the regular season starts. It's a waste of resources for the entire team if he has to knock off the rust of the off season in the regular season. Not a difficult decision. If he is so fragile that his well being compromises the team then the organization needs to find out as soon as possible. Play him or sit him.
The ship has sailed. Playing him in the preseason finale isn't going to make a difference.

Top Bottom