Dak Prescott declares himself to be the smartest quarterback in the class

Jiggyfly

Banned
Dak Prescott gives Cowboys far better chance to survive until Tony Romo's return
Lorenzo Reyes, USA TODAY 10:13 p.m. EDT August 27, 2016

The Dallas Cowboys — once again — must turn to their backup plan. But this time, they appear much better off.

After news surfaced that starting quarterback Tony Romo suffered a broken bone in his back after taking an awkward hit in the team’s third preseason game Thursday night, multiple reports speculated he’d miss six to 10 weeks.

That means the Dak Prescott era will almost certainly get started much sooner than expected. Dallas coach Jason Garrett declined to name the fourth-round rookie as the starter Saturday, but all signs point to Prescott taking over.

The Mississippi State product has shined during preseason, completing 78% of his passes for 454 yards, five touchdowns, and no interceptions. He's also produced 53 yards and two scores with his legs. His performance has convinced owner Jerry Jones not to pursue a veteran backup after the team lost Kellen Moore to a broken ankle during training camp.

It's fair to note that defenses have not been game-planning for Prescott so far. Still, he's capitalized on his opportunities, especially when playing with the starters. Prescott has flashed talent and natural ability with his ball placement, game management, decision-making, arm strength, mobility, and pocket presence — all of which Dallas will need to stay in contention in the NFC East while Romo is sidelined.

But for the Cowboys — remember, they went 1-11 in 2015 when Romo twice broke his collarbone — to stay afloat with Prescott running the show, the coaches must also continue to tailor the offense to his skill set. The plays that have been historically called for Romo haven’t been the same ones dialed up for Prescott this preseason.

Of the 112 snaps he has played so far, 57 (just over half) have come from the shotgun formation — exactly where Prescott spent much of his time in college while triggering Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen’s spread attack. Of the 55 snaps Prescott has taken while under center for the Cowboys, only 12 have been on pass plays — nine of them play-action throws.

It's a small sample size, and the preseason isn’t necessarily a true indication of how a team will structure its gameplan. But offensive coordinator Scott Linehan's use of zone-read and run-pass options has shown where Prescott can excel by catering to his strengths.

“The offense we ran at Mississippi State was nothing short of an NFL offense,” Prescott told USA TODAY Sports after Dallas second preseason game against the Miami Dolphins.

“The only thing that was different is that we didn’t go under center. I swear to you, in (pre-draft) visits, every play they showed me, I could name it. We just called it something different. At another team I visited, they ran the exact same stuff we ran.”

To help ease his pro transition, Prescott worked out in Orlando with private quarterback coach Tom Shaw before the draft.

But aside from Prescott's stellar August play, there are other reasons to think the Cowboys — they have several ingredients which are ideal in supporting a rookie quarterback — can survive another lengthy stretch without Romo.

Dallas boasts arguably the best offensive line in the NFL. It has dynamic playmakers in receiver Dez Bryant and tight end Jason Witten. And rookie running back Ezekiel Elliott should eat up chunks of yards on the ground and will get plenty of help from veteran backs Alfred Morris and Darren McFadden, who have combined for five 1,000-yard rushing seasons during their NFL careers.

All those factors should prevent Prescott from having to shoulder too much burden. And if he can effectively distribute the ball, that should allow Dallas to limit the amount of time a suspension-riddled defense spends on the field.

“Knowledge-wise, I think I’m the smartest quarterback that came in this class,” Prescott said. “I would love to go on the board and go head to head with anybody else. That’s how I feel. That’s how confident I am.”

That confidence is sure to be tested once the season starts, but Prescott has passed every hurdle the NFL has thrown at him so far.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I think his football IQ is extremely high. He already is making vet decisions in the backfield. He knows as a QB he isn't to rely on his legs first. They are only to escape and extend plays. That's invaluable for him to already understand that.

Hoffa

DCC 4Life
SEC rednecks are always telling me that SEC defenses are basically NFL-caliber, so if you look at it that way, Dak is actually a three-year NFL veteran. :towel

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think his football IQ is extremely high. He already is making vet decisions in the backfield. He knows as a QB he isn't to rely on his legs first. They are only to escape and extend plays. That's invaluable for him to already understand that.
His football IQ really hasn't been tested yet.

He is out there playing loose and relaxed. That will change pretty soon.

Nothing wrong with feeling damn good about how he has lit up the preseason. But it is what it is.

I am more concerned about our staff taking things seriously and honing the gameplans to what he does well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Nothing wrong with feeling damn good about how he has lit up the preseason. But it is what it is.

I am more concerned about our staff taking things seriously and honing the gameplans to what he does well.
The Seahawks threw a lot of different stuff at him actually. What they were doing was anything but vanilla.

Cotton

Staff member

I don't have to see him on the field to know his football IQ is high. Just listening to how he answers questions tells you what you need to know.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The Seahawks threw a lot of different stuff at him actually. What they were doing was anything but vanilla.
I was referring more about our staff.

The Seahawks did not "gameplan" for him. They threw blitzes in, because, well, contrary to popular belief, teams do practice blitzes in the preseason.

Coverage schemes are a different story.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I don't have to see him on the field to know his football IQ is high. Just listening to how he answers questions tells you what you need to know.
How he interviews means nothing. You are just responding to the fact he is well spoken and uses proper grammar, unlike Quincy Carter.

Signed,
DFDC

Cotton

Staff member
How he interviews means nothing. You are just responding to the fact he is well spoken and uses proper grammar, unlike Quincy Carter.

Signed,
DFDC
It means something to me, peckerface.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
ugh. I don't care for cocky quarterbacks. the good ones are usually humble to a fault. and "smart" people don't typically get DUIs.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
ugh. I don't care for cocky quarterbacks. the good ones are usually humble to a fault. and "smart" people don't typically get DUIs.
He was acquitted.

Dak - 1
bbgun - 0

Jiggyfly

Banned

Yeah it's different when nobody is expecting anything more than a capable backup into becoming the actual starting QB heading into the season.

That is another stratosphere of pressure especially considering it's with the Cowboys and there is some expectations on the season.

Will be interesting to see how he handles it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yeah it's different when nobody is expecting anything more than a capable backup into becoming the actual starting QB heading into the season.

That is another stratosphere of pressure especially considering it's with the Cowboys and there is some expectations on the season.

Will be interesting to see how he handles it.
I wish I could stop my inner homer from feeling it though, it has looked so smooth. It is a little bit frightening.

Fuck it. He will suck DFDC.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I wish I could stop my inner homer from feeling it though, it has looked so smooth. It is a little bit frightening.

Fuck it. He will suck DFDC.
Might want to edit a period in that last sentence.

p1_

DCC 4Life

Signed,
DFDC
Quincy the orator lmao

p1_

DCC 4Life
we officially enter the post Romo era. I , for one, am ready. Let it begin!

townsend

Banned
What's more important to me than how "well spoken" Dak is, is that he seems to be a natural leader. That's even something Romo has struggled with for a long time. Dak seems extremely suited to captain the ship, I think that's precisely what we were lacking in 2015 with our parade of backups.

I'm real anxious to see what happens when this guy gets thrown to the wolves, I really think he's going to come away from this season battle hardened.

Top Bottom