Moore: How should Cowboys handle adversity? Look at Dak Prescott's example, not Ezekiel Elliott's

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How should Cowboys handle adversity? Look at Dak Prescott's example, not Ezekiel Elliott's
By David Moore , Staff Writer

FRISCO -- Jason Garrett sifts through the rubble of the Cowboys' loss to Denver and finds treasures critics won't.

You look at that game and see one of the worst statistical performances in Dak Prescott's tenure. Garrett reviews the tape and labels what his quarterback did as special.

What Ezekiel Elliott did was far from special. The focus of Garrett's comments had to do with the running back's lack of effort after two interceptions, not his paltry rushing total.

Garrett is adamant these lapses of competitive fire aren't indicative of Elliott but also vows they will be addressed as the team moves forward from its 42-17 loss to the Broncos.

The Cowboys' head coach walks a fine line here. He can't afford to portray Prescott as some sort of saint while tarnishing Elliott as a sinner. But there's a point to be made to his team.

Prescott's performance is an example of how you handle and fight through adversity.

Elliott's performance is an example of how you can't allow yourself to succumb to frustration.

Let's start with the quarterback.

"If you get a chance, go back and watch the tape of No. 4,'' Garrett said at his Monday afternoon news conference. "No. 4 is a special player.

"It was not an easy game for him. Got knocked around a little bit, got banged up early. And talk about a guy who battles. Talk about a guy who fights. Talk about a guy who leads the team under adversity, under duress.

"It was special.''

Winning character doesn't always guarantee a winning result. Garrett is a firm believer that trait often shines brightest in more challenging situations. His father likes to say you can hit some players in the face with a shovel and they keep coming back.

That's an apt description of what Denver's defense did to Prescott Sunday afternoon, holding him to 238 yards on 50 pass attempts with two touchdowns and two interceptions.

He kept coming back.

"I have no real concern about him responding the right way,'' Garrett said. "Just go back and watch the game. Watch how he stands in the pocket, climbs the pocket after he's gotten hit, throws the ball under duress, delivers the ball down the field again and again and again.

"Watch the run up their sideline late in the game, where he takes the guy and hits and rolls and spins and makes 12 yards to get us down to a fourth-and-manageable situation. Just watch how he plays. Watch the intensity he plays with, the fight he plays with. It's contagious.

"He did a hell of a job.''

Elliott? Not so much on those two interceptions by Prescott.

"One of the things we preach to our team on both sides of the ball: When there is a turnover, everybody is involved,'' Garrett said. "If you're an offensive player, become a defensive player on a fumble or an interception.

"Zeke is one of the most natural competitors I've ever been around. He loves to play. He loves to practice. I think we've seen that through his first year playing. Those two plays were not indicative of the kind of competitor that he was, and we have to get that addressed.''

Frustration?

"He certainly could have been frustrated,'' Garrett said. "Obviously, he had been very productive as a running back over the course of his career and certainly in the NFL up to this point. He had a game where he carried the ball nine times for 8 yards, so there's no question frustration could have set in, but I have not had a conversation with him yet.''

He will. You can also bank on Elliott's lack of effort on those plays being part of the team film review from the loss.

Garrett likely won't have to say much. Elliott knows what he did, or didn't do, on those plays.

"Urban Meyer [Ohio State's coach] told us he's the best player he's ever had when the ball is not in his hands,'' Garrett said. "He's made great blocks throughout his career with us. That's just what he's all about.

"Again, those plays were uncharacteristic of him. We'll certainly address it with him, but we have to address that with our entire team.

"That's not the way we play.''

Prescott is a constant example of how Garrett wants his team to play. The quarterback's effort on Aqib Talib's 103-yard interception return for a touchdown -- he ran all the way down the field, desperately trying to fight off one block after another to stop the Broncos corner -- stands in stark contrast to what Elliott didn't do.

"It's just what he's all about,'' Garrett said of Prescott. "He's a great competitor. He fights. He scratches. He claws.

"He's a great leader for our team.''

vince

Not So New Member
Does anyone else here question Zeke's character after this game? Part of me understands his frustration with the number of reps he got. I would be too. But he did leave his team to do the dirty work after those 2 interceptions. That told me something about this guy.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Does anyone else here question Zeke's character after this game? Part of me understands his frustration with the number of reps he got. I would be too. But he did leave his team to do the dirty work after those 2 interceptions. That told me something about this guy.
Yes, I have been a big supporter of Zeke, and am now worried the guy's heart just might not be in it.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Yes, I have been a big supporter of Zeke, and am now worried the guy's heart just might not be in it.
I think it's a bit early to go there. He's a young kid who has a lot on his plate.

But I think it's acceptable to question whether he worked hard enough in the offseason... which if he didn't, that's on the coaches.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Does anyone else here question Zeke's character after this game?
I don't think he ever had great character. He's just extremely talented.

I still remember him bitching about not getting enough carries after that Ohio State loss. He's faced very few failures or even disappointments in his life, so it's not a surprise he wouldn't handle them the best way.

midswat

... soon
Does anyone else here question Zeke's character after this game?
The guy is a woman beating, sexual assaulting, reckless driver rumored to be into drugs . . .

But it's his not chasing down an interception that makes you question his character.

:unsure

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
thank god we can now dispense with the retarded "players have never quit on Red like they did on Wade!" propaganda

Smitty

DCC 4Life
thank god we can now dispense with the retarded "players have never quit on Red like they did on Wade!" propaganda
You aren't dispensing of anything since you clearly never bought into it to begin with.

As for me... I'll be more concerned when we're 1-5. I'm not gonna overreact to one bad loss.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
You aren't dispensing of anything since you clearly never bought into it to begin with.

As for me... I'll be more concerned when we're 1-5. I'm not gonna overreact to one bad loss.
Not true. I concede that the players did quit on Wade in Green Bay, and now he and Red are even. The previous losses that season were simply the result of bad play, injuries (Romo) and stupid shit like Choice's ill-timed fumble in DC -- not lack of effort.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Elliot didn't quit on anyone. He got shut down by a talented stacked defense and he hasn't been there before. He was just exasperated. .

vince

Not So New Member
The guy is a woman beating, sexual assaulting, reckless driver rumored to be into drugs . . .

But it's his not chasing down an interception that makes you question his character.

:unsure
I knew I didn't type that well. I'm assuming you knew what I meant though.

Top Bottom