Bell: Prescott, not Goff, looks like No. 1 pick

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I agree with not annointing the guy...but surely to God he's not as fucking retarded as the Quinthy.
Quinthy was one of the most retarded draft picks this team has ever taken a flyer on, probably the most retarded 2nd round pick. Kind of a shame because the idiot had some physical tools/skills, he just didn't have it between the ears.

QC.jpg

/obligatory

townsend

Banned
Quinthy was one of the most retarded draft picks this team has ever taken a flyer on, probably the most retarded 2nd round pick. Kind of a shame because the idiot had some physical tools/skills, he just didn't have it between the ears.

View attachment 400

/obligatory
Gregory might be the new standard though. At least Quincy managed to have a couple of years in the league before drugs ruined his career.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Gregory might be the new standard though. At least Quincy managed to have a couple of years in the league before drugs ruined his career.
Fair point since Gregory's screw up came before his second season even started and Carter did manage to get the team to the playoffs in his third season.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yeah but Quinthy also wasn't just smoking weed. Not an excuse but weed doesn't do to your body what those other substances do (like crack or coke).

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think it was Nick eatman who put out the caveat that Quincy was fantastic his first preseason game (a performance that prompted us to cut Tony Banks), and then completely shit the bed after that.

The good news is I'm guessing Prescott has a much better head on his shoulders than Quincy. The bad news is we don't know that for sure yet.
I remember that game with the Jones' high fiving each other up in the box after Quincy threw a wobbly TD, despite his trouble gripping the football and throwing over linebackers. He was immature on top of it, and you can't afford to have that at QB.

Jerry went crazy after that preseason game, cutting Banks, and Dave Campo was in full on puppet mode.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I remember that game with the Jones' high fiving each other up in the box after Quincy threw a wobbly TD, despite his trouble gripping the football and throwing over linebackers. He was immature on top of it, and you can't afford to have that at QB.

Jerry went crazy after that preseason game, cutting Banks, and Dave Campo was in full on puppet mode.
Beyond that, I remember losing to the Panthers in the wild card in 2003 and afterward the Panthers defenders talking about this "tell" he had with his hand before taking the snap. Outside of that, I seem to remember a blowup between he and Jerrah on the sidelines, I can't remember what year it happened.

kidd

DCC 4Life
Nice!

Thanks!

kidd

DCC 4Life
Beyond that, I remember losing to the Panthers in the wild card in 2003 and afterward the Panthers defenders talking about this "tell" he had with his hand before taking the snap. Outside of that, I seem to remember a blowup between he and Jerrah on the sidelines, I can't remember what year it happened.
That blowup happened during Campo's last year. It was a game against Arizona. Can't remember what it was exactly about. Just remember that he was replaced by Hutch the following week when Emmitt broke Peyton's Record.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I know the company line is to say it was a preseason game, don't get too excited, etc...but watching him in that game was amazing. He would have been 12 for 12 passing if Swaim would have caught those 2 balls thrown to him. The throws he made to Dez were vet throws. He just looked so poised and really seemed to have a grasp of the offense. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a young QB on the team. I think it was actually the first time I saw Romo play vs the Raiders and he QB sneaked in for a TD.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I know the company line is to say it was a preseason game, don't get too excited, etc...but watching him in that game was amazing. He would have been 12 for 12 passing if Swaim would have caught those 2 balls thrown to him. The throws he made to Dez were vet throws. He just looked so poised and really seemed to have a grasp of the offense. I can't remember the last time I was this excited about a young QB on the team. I think it was actually the first time I saw Romo play vs the Raiders and he QB sneaked in for a TD.
Poised is the word that came to mind when I watched the replay.

Hopefully that trend continues, and it wasn't just a matter of Linehan spending more time with him while the QB coach was out.

We joked about Linehan telling Wade Wilson that the QBs had never looked better,but it will be interesting to see how prepared Dak is for tonight's game.

Like someone has mentioned elsewhere, with a first game like that...where do you go from here?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Prescott put it all together for sure. It was like watching Romo in preseason 2006, except better and many more times remarkable because it was his first game.

I hope he can keep his focus through the upcoming grind and hype.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There will be times when he looks like shit but let's just keep in mind that he has already shown himself to be more capable than just about any young QB we've had in here for over the last decade in just his first game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
There will be times when he looks like shit but let's just keep in mind that he has already shown himself to be more capable than just about any young QB we've had in here for over the last decade in just his first game.
Yes, a little like Russell Wilson he's set up well to take his career as far as his skill and will can take him. He can lean on strong protection, a great running game, and ROH talent at WR and TE to help him out.

Getting that protection while he reads through his progressions is huge at this early age. Romo didn't have that until his fifth year in 2007, and then it disappeared until 2013.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yes, a little like Russell Wilson he's set up well to take his career as far as his skill and will can take him. He can lean on strong protection, a great running game, and ROH talent at WR and TE to help him out.

Getting that protection while he reads through his progressions is huge at this early age. Romo didn't have that until his fifth year in 2007, and then it disappeared until 2013.
Are you talking about leaning on them as far as 2016 preseason success goes?

Because if Prescott ever takes over as the guy, presumably in about 3 years, Witten will be gone and Bryant will likely have declined some. Fitzgerald has remained effective as he nears his mid-30's but it remains to be seen if Dez will have the discipline to do that once his physical gifts begin to diminish.

At any rate the OL is much more important than either of them to a QB's success and all of those guys will still be in their prime, not to mention Elliott, so those are huge advantages.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
At any rate the OL is much more important than either of them to a QB's success and all of those guys will still be in their prime, not to mention Elliott, so those are huge advantages.
He can lean on them throughout Romo's remaining time as 2nd string QB in practice too, in addition to preseason games. And of course it's reasonable to expect Romo will miss games in the next two seasons. I think Dak is a viable option to win at least some of them in Romo's absence.

During the preseason game I got the feeling the whole team was energized to see that there could be life after Romo. I think they believe in Dak after that performance and it has changed their disposition to him. If Romo goes down, this team might already be strongly behind Prescott.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
Has anyone mentioned the velocity Dak puts on the ball? In going back and watching the game again I noticed Daks balls don't have a ton of juice. Nearly everything is a bit of a touch pass. His touch is great so this works but it does give the defense more time to react. It also makes a much more catchable ball - but that also means it's more catchable for for defense who have worse hands. I'm kind of curious how strong Dak's arm is. Can he throw a rope if he needs to?

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Has anyone mentioned the velocity Dak puts on the ball? In going back and watching the game again I noticed Daks balls don't have a ton of juice. Nearly everything is a bit of a touch pass. His touch is great so this works but it does give the defense more time to react. It also makes a much more catchable ball - but that also means it's more catchable for for defense who have worse hands. I'm kind of curious how strong Dak's arm is. Can we throw a rope if he needs to?
He doesn't have the strongest arm (probably part of why he was drafted later) but Romo doesn't have the strongest arm either.

But having a really strong arm isn't really that important imo. It does have to be adequate, and I think Dak's arm is adequate (contrast it with Moore, who throws like a 4 year old).

When you look at the throws he's made, the bomb to Butler, the deep outs to Dez, etc., Dak's shown that his arm is good enough.

Top Bottom