Being An In-N-Out Manager Could Make You Richer Than Becoming A Lawyer

BipolarFuk

Demoted
If the thought of animal-style everything and endless milkshakes isn't enough to persuade you, the salary In-N-Out managers reportedly make might have you reconsidering your career path.

Back in 2012, the Orange Country Register reported the average salary for an In-N-Out manager was over $120,000, compared to an industry average of around $48,000. As Thrillist pointed out, that's also about $5,000 more than the average lawyer makes, and you don't have to rack up law school debt to get the position.

As a manager, you're also treated to free international trips if you hit target goals, a former In-N-Out employee shared. Add in the company's generous benefits program and casual work culture and you've got a pretty sweet deal.

To be fair, it's not all smooth sailing – if you do want to be a store manager, you'll have to start from the bottom. In-N-Out only hires from within, meaning every store manager started as an hourly associate, either in the backroom, as a counter hand out, or on the clean-up crew.

Like their bosses, associates are treated pretty dang well, though. The starting salary is a minimum of $11 an hour, with some locations starting at $12.50 an hour, according to Reddit threads. Part-time workers get dental and health benefits, vacation days, and free meals while working, and can set up a 401k. Not too shabby for a first job.

While the six-figure salary may seem outrageous, it checks out across Glassdoor, Reddit and IGN threads, and the Register interview with the notoriously press-shy In-N-Out President, Lynsi Snyder. Snyder told the Register that the attractive salaries and generous benefits are part of her family's mission to maintain a family atmosphere within the company. It seems to be working – In-N-Out ranked #7 on Glassdoor's 2017 list of Best Places to Work.

Yeah, so much for fast food joints can't afford to pay their employees much above the minimum.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Article says manager, not frontline burger flipper. Huge difference.

Cotton

Staff member
I will say the "according to Reddit threads" line was pretty compelling, though.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Bipos busisness apparently consists of what he thinks a person should get paid rather than what a business can afford to pay. His plan would have both the owner and employee on the unemployment rolls in no time.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
What I understand is if this smaller chain of joint can pay people a somewhat decent wage then they all can.
Are you crazy?

McDonald's could never revise their practices to this kind of business model.

They would lose millions, I say. Millions!

Not that anyone making bank off of the company would notice, but hey.

In all seriousness, it is nice that In-N-Out does this.

That just means a matter of time before a Ray Kroc comes in and fucks it up.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Bipos busisness apparently consists of what he thinks a person should get paid rather than what a business can afford to pay. His plan would have both the owner and employee on the unemployment rolls in no time.
McDonalds could pay its workers a better wage. You know it and so do I.

This is not Frank's Korner Diner just struggling to get by.

Cotton

Staff member
Are you crazy?

McDonald's could never revise their practices to this kind of business model.

They would lose millions, I say. Millions!

Not that anyone making bank off of the company would notice, but hey.

In all seriousness, it is nice that In-N-Out does this.

That just means a matter of time before a Ray Kroc comes in and fucks it up.
McDoanlds would lose millions and their business model would be fucked. But, I guess that's okay. You can just go somewhere else and get a $4 meal. Oh wait.

Cotton

Staff member

:lol

You are getting as bad as Bipo lately. This is stupid.

Cotton

Staff member
So seriously, you think poor ol' McDonalds could just never make ends meet if they paid their workers more?
You are a professional business man. You don't understand basic business models? Higher labor costs = higher consumer costs. It's literally that simple. You are smarter than this. I didn't realize this stupidity has become this wide spread.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

McDonald's pays more than minimum wage. But outrage I tell you!!!! Outrage!!!

A job that should be filled by highschool kids because machines are about to replace them and all. But yeah, Uncle Frank should earn enough to support a family of 4 working there.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
You are a professional business man. You don't understand basic business models? Higher labor costs = higher consumer costs. It's literally that simple. You are smarter than this.
And it is not even close to how dumbed down you are trying to make it sound.

Nobody is talking a billion gazillion dollars per hour, just even more than what they pay, which I would hope you know is not even close to livable. Even a small gesture, a simple head nod to the labor pool would make them heroes.

I bring this up for one reason, my client is dying right now. They think that my company, that services them, can find willing labor at $9-10 bucks and hour. They are holding fast and putting the heat on us to magically shit out people who will work for that.

The reason I bring up McDonalds is that if a company like In-N-Out has this kind of model, it wouldn't hurt them to make a gesture. But they aren't willing to do that simply out of greed and arrogance.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
McDonald's pays more than minimum wage. But outrage I tell you!!!! Outrage!!!

A job that should be filled by highschool kids because machines are about to replace them and all. But yeah, Uncle Frank should earn enough to support a family of 4 working there.
And when machines take even more of the crappy burger flipping jobs what then?

Even the pizza faced 16 year old will have problems finding work.

Things have grown to a point where something has to give.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The reason I bring up McDonalds is that if a company like In-N-Out has this kind of model, it wouldn't hurt them to make a gesture. But they aren't willing to do that simply out of greed and arrogance.
In-N-Out puts out a far superior product to McDonalds. Totally different business models. To compare the two is to be uneducated and uninformed.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And when machines take even more of the crappy burger flipping jobs what then?

Even the pizza faced 16 year old will have problems finding work.

Things have grown to a point where something has to give.
What I have realized in life from my line of work is that people that want to work will work. People who find government support better than work won't. People who blame the businesses for their employees failures in life are blaming the wrong people.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
In-N-Out puts out a far superior product to McDonalds. Totally different business models. To compare the two is to be uneducated and uninformed.
And I wasn't saying it was a true comparison. And like I said even a gesture would go a long way.

Top Bottom