ESPN: Cam Newton on criticism - 'It's not racism'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cam Newton on criticism: 'It's not racism'
8:50 AM CT
ESPN.com news services

In a wide-ranging interview with GQ, Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton told the magazine he doesn't think he is subjected to extra scrutiny because he is black.

"It's not racism," Newton told GQ. "Everybody's entitled to their own opinion."

Newton has been critiqued for his playing style and demeanor on and off the field throughout his five seasons in the NFL, and some have pointed to Newton's race as part of the reason he receives such criticism.

The quarterback, however, dismissed that idea to GQ.

"I don't want this to be about race, because it's not. It's not," Newton said. "Like, we're beyond that. As a nation."

Before Super Bowl 50, Newton created headlines when he described himself as "an African-American quarterback that may scare a lot of people because they haven't seen nothing they can compare me to." He later eased off those comments in the run-up to his first Super Bowl appearance, when he became the sixth black quarterback to start the NFL's title game.

"I don't even want to touch the topic of black quarterback, because I think this game is bigger than black, white or green," Newton said in February before the game. "I think we limit ourselves when we just label ourselves just black, this, that and the third. I wanted to bring awareness because of that, but yet I don't think I should be labeled just a black quarterback, because it's bigger things in this sport that need to be accomplished."

Asked by GQ about other hot-button national issues, Newton said he doesn't have an opinion on Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump and wouldn't say whether he voted for North Carolina Gov. Pat McCrory.

"I love people too much to care about those type of things," Newton told GQ.

McCrory's controversial House Bill 2, which eliminated antidiscrimination protections for lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people, has brought scrutiny to North Carolina and led to the NBA removing the 2017 All-Star Game from Charlotte, the city where Newton leads the defending NFC champion Panthers.

Newton said he would rather let people develop their own opinions rather than advocate for his positions.

"I'll let you be the judge. I don't look at it like that," he told GQ. "I look at it like some people have certain beliefs, and I have my own belief, and we can agree to disagree on certain things. But this is what makes sports so amazing, that we can start a discussion around a table, in the newspaper, in the magazines, that will get people's attention. And that's what sports does."

Newton also said he would let his son, Chosen, who was born in December, play football when he grows up.

GQ released its September cover story featuring Newton on Monday.

Good on him. I agree 100%.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I disagree with the “we’re beyond that as a nation” comment because obviously we aren’t. It’s a 1,000 times better than it was in pre-1970. But there are still plenty of companies & organizations with discriminatory practices that are aimed at minorities.

I know Cam wants to try to take the high road but I think it’s a dishonest statement.

And even if we’re just looking at it from a football aspect, Cam received criticism last year that was probably due to his skin color. The area that stood out the most was all the criticism he'd receive for being demonstrative. Meanwhile those same critics would cheer wildly when Gronk or Watt did their thing. It goes back to the old passion vs. out of control cancer argument. Brady screams at his teammates to pick it up and play harder, it's passion and leadership. Someone like Dez does it, he's an out of control lunatic who needs to sit down and shut up.

The reason that I responded like I did on Twitter is because when he makes a comments like that it gives the crowd who thinks racism no longer exists & everything is fine and even across the board more reason to keep carrying that opinion and being purposely obtuse regarding the fact that this country still has some work to do regarding racial equality. As I mentioned above, we are doing so much better than in decades past, but there are still organizations out there running things like Donald Sterling did. Case in point, a few weeks ago an American bank (can't recall the name but it should pop up with a quick Google search) was just fined millions of dollars because they directed their employees to scrutinize and deny African-American loan applications more often than similarly qualified white applicants.

Obviously there's no longer any of that in your face "No n-words allowed" racism that was commonplace pre-1968. It's a lot more subtle and systemic now. Maybe that's why Mr. Newton is unaware of it. As I said on Twitter, when you've been an elite celebrity athlete since High School who's viewed and treated as a cash cow, your perception of the world is probably going to be a lot different from the average person.

I'll get off my soapbox now. :lol

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I disagree with the “we’re beyond that as a nation” comment because obviously we aren’t. It’s a 1,000 times better than it was in pre-1970. But there are still plenty of companies & organizations with discriminatory practices that are aimed at minorities.

I know Cam wants to try to take the high road but I think it’s a dishonest statement.

And even if we’re just looking at it from a football aspect, Cam received criticism last year that was probably due to his skin color. The area that stood out the most was all the criticism he'd receive for being demonstrative. Meanwhile those same critics would cheer wildly when Gronk or Watt did their thing. It goes back to the old passion vs. out of control cancer argument. Brady screams at his teammates to pick it up and play harder, it's passion and leadership. Someone like Dez does it, he's an out of control lunatic who needs to sit down and shut up.

The reason that I responded like I did on Twitter is because when he makes a comments like that it gives the crowd who thinks racism no longer exists & everything is fine and even across the board more reason to keep carrying that opinion and being purposely obtuse regarding the fact that this country still has some work to do regarding racial equality. As I mentioned above, we are doing so much better than in decades past, but there are still organizations out there running things like Donald Sterling did. Case in point, a few weeks ago an American bank (can't recall the name but it should pop up with a quick Google search) was just fined millions of dollars because they directed their employees to scrutinize and deny African-American loan applications more often than similarly qualified white applicants.

Obviously there's no longer any of that in your face "No n-words allowed" racism that was commonplace pre-1968. It's a lot more subtle and systemic now. Maybe that's why Mr. Newton is unaware of it. As I said on Twitter, when you've been an elite celebrity athlete since High School who's viewed and treated as a cash cow, your perception of the world is probably going to be a lot different from the average person.

I'm sorry, brother, we rarely disagree, but this is one of those times. I think he's right to say what he said. We need to stop talking about race. We need to stop pointing out race on the news. The news media always points out "White cop shoots black person" but never reports other cop shootings. This is detrimental to those of us wanting to fix things. Stop making everything about race. Is there still racism? Of course. But, let's stop creating racism where it doesn't exist.

I do get your point, but I think the overarching point he was trying to make was that we should be beyond racism at this point, and he is doing his part to get us there. Maybe I'm totally misreading what he's saying, but that's what I got from it.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm sorry, brother, we rarely disagree, but this is one of those times. I think he's right to say what he said. We need to stop talking about race. We need to stop pointing out race on the news. The news media always points out "White cop shoots black person" but never reports other cop shootings. This is detrimental to those of us wanting to fix things. Stop making everything about race. Is there still racism? Of course. But, let's stop creating racism where it doesn't exist.

I do get your point, but I think the overarching point he was trying to make was that we should be beyond racism at this point, and he is doing his part to get us there. Maybe I'm totally misreading what he's saying, but that's what I got from it.
I get what you're saying and I don' want to drag down the forum with yet another long political/race discussion, but ignoring a problem rarely fixes it. That's why I don't subscribe to the notion that if we stop bringing up race then everything will be fine and eventually fix itself.

I do agree with you that there is a double standard when it comes to the media highlighting stories of blacks being shot by white cops.

Similar to this incident in Milwaukee. I largely disagree with Sheriff Clarke but he's absolutely right in this instance.

Cotton

Staff member
I get what you're saying and I don' want to drag down the forum with yet another long political/race discussion, but ignoring a problem rarely fixes it. That's why I don't subscribe to the notion that if we stop bringing up race then everything will be fine and eventually fix itself.

I do agree with you that there is a double standard when it comes to the media highlighting stories of blacks being shot by white cops.

Similar to this incident in Milwaukee. I largely disagree with Sheriff Clarke but he's absolutely right in this instance.
I'm not suggesting we ignore the real issues. I'm suggesting we stop talking about race when it isn't relevant to the discussion/situation. And, that's what I got from what Newton said. I got that he wants to just be viewed/judged as a QB, not a black-specific QB.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Whatever the racial divide is in today's day and age, we will never ever ever completely eliminate all racial issues unless and until we stop thinking in racial terms.

Unfortunately it's a convenient and easy crutch for the simple minded.

Cotton

Staff member
Whatever the racial divide is in today's day and age, we will never ever ever completely eliminate all racial issues unless and until we stop thinking in racial terms.

This is essentially the point I'm trying to make. Everything isn't about race, and the more we perpetuate the idea that it is, the further away from the solution we will get.

Jiggyfly

Banned

:buddy

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I am about the last person that will discuss race issues but I do have a question about the term discriminatory practices. I do understand your position when you are referring to practices administered toward black people but have you ever reversed the situation and asked whether there is a discriminatory issue with black individuals with other races eg. against Asians, Hispanic, Caucasians, etc. ? I never hear that side of the coin discussed.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Exactly. I dont think it will ever happen but that's what is going to have to happen.

data

Forbes #1
No. He is not.
why not? Both Top 5 picks, tough runners, above average passers, TV personalities with stupid celebrations. Cam is physically more imposing.

Cam's passing stats may be more prolific than McNabb's but you'll have to adjust for new school NFL rules.

Cotton

Staff member
why not? Both Top 5 picks, tough runners, above average passers with stupid celebrations. Cam is physically more imposing.

Cam's passing stats may be more prolific than McNabb's but you'll have to adjust for new school NFL rules.
Not really what this thread is about, but yeah, Cam is close to McNabb is terms of play.

Cotton

Staff member
Cam's quote in the article about ppl being scared cuZ there's nobody comparable.
That was from a previous interview.

Top Bottom