CBS: Retired pass rusher DeMarcus Ware - If Jerry Jones calls, I'll answer the phone

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Retired pass rusher DeMarcus Ware: If Jerry Jones calls, I'll answer the phone
Ryan Wilson

DeMarcus Ware signed a one-day contract with the Cowboys in April to retire with the team that drafted him. He played in Dallas from 2005-13 and spent his final three seasons in Denver, where he won a Super Bowl in February 2016.

So while Ware officially retired in the spring, he said recently that "if Jerry calls me, I'll answer the phone."

That would be Jerry Jones, the Cowboys owner and general manager. And the 35-year-old pass rusher, who has 138.5 career sacks, doesn't quite sound like he's ready to quit playing football -- though he concedes that he's physically not where he once was.

"I was one day away from coming back and signing with the Dallas Cowboys," Ware said, via ESPN.com's Todd Archer. "But my body just told me it's time.
It's time to stop playing. Still have the drive to get out there and the want to play, but you've got to think about family, think about what's important and I just decided it's time to hang up the cleats and put on a suit."

The Cowboys' Week 2 game takes on added meaning for Ware because Dallas will face the Broncos in Denver. And his allegiances will be split right down the middle.

"On the 50-yard line, in the middle," he said. "I'll have on blue. Both teams have blue, so I'm 50-50 when it comes to that."

And Ware's hat will "will have a D on there," but added, "(You) won't know what D it stands for."

Whatever happens, Jones' affinity for Ware remains. In March, here's what the Cowboys owner said about No. 11 pick in the 2005 NFL Draft:

"DeMarcus was everything we could have ever wanted in a player, a person and a representative of the Cowboys organization. He was one of the most dominant NFL players at his position in his era, and he was one of the most dynamic players in the history of the Dallas Cowboys. We wish nothing but the best for DeMarcus and his family, and we appreciate and respect his contributions to the NFL and to our team."

In case you're wondering, four of the eight CBSSports.com experts expect the Broncos to beat the Cowboys.

midswat

... soon
So glad he got a ring. He deserved it. Hell of a player and he will be missed.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
So glad he got a ring. He deserved it. Hell of a player and he will be missed.
Yep.

He was helped immensely with the defensive talent around him in Denver, and especially having Miller opposite him allowed him to get away from the double teams he frequently faced in Dallas.

I think he was more effective in the Broncos scheme too, although like I said above, its a helluva lot easier to scheme when you have Ware and Miller as your 2 pressure players.

data

Forbes #1
Yep.

He was helped immensely with the defensive talent around him in Denver, and especially having Miller opposite him allowed him to get away from the double teams he frequently faced in Dallas.

I think he was more effective in the Broncos scheme too, although like I said above, its a helluva lot easier to scheme when you have Ware and Miller as your 2 pressure players.
You're not welcome, Anthony Spencer.

vince

Not So New Member
I followed Ware via social media while he was in Denver and he would consistently post pictures of the Dallas skyline, Jerry World and other things locally. He loves Dallas more than Denver if you ask me.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Yep.

It was the same scheme in Dallas under Phillips.

In addition to Miller, he had Malik Jackson, Sylvester Williams and a great secondary.

Top Bottom