MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
I haven't been to a pro baseball game since I was a kid, but the biggest one was Kenny Rogers's perfect game in 1994. Dad had tickets for him, me and my brother, but he got sick last minute and my uncle took us instead. We didn't let him forget that either.
First time I got to see the Mets was in SF, Candlestick Park, Strawberry and Carter went back to back in the top of the 9th to win it.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
That's a pretty decent list compared to mine. Aside from last night I think my in-stadium "highlight" was watching Greg Maddux throw a 4 hit shutout back in the late 90s. But Maddux did that all the time back then so it was no big deal.
Meh. They were some relatively interesting side stories but I have never seen any sort of historical performance like a no hitter, a major milestone (3000 hits, etc) or a guy getting 7 hits in a game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Thanks. It seems fine but I just booked a room at the Hilton. It isn't drastically more than Club Quarters and is also about half a mile from Minute Maid.
Hilton de las Americas?

If that's the case, you did WAY better. Club Quarters isn't bad at all, but if you paid just a bit more and got the nice Hilton, then you made out very well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Or maybe he actually thinks he has a shot and knows it's his last chance at athletics before he is doomed to a life of Analyst/Guest Speaker roles the rest of his life.
If he just cares about having a shot at continuing his career in athletics, why not play in Canada or Arena? I can't imagine either league would turn him down. And he'd have a real, legitimate shot.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Hilton de las Americas?

If that's the case, you did WAY better. Club Quarters isn't bad at all, but if you paid just a bit more and got the nice Hilton, then you made out very well.
Yes, Hilton Americas Houston. There was a really good deal on it and it was about $30 or so more than Club Quarters.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
This got me thinking about out of the ordinary things that have happened at pro sporting events I have been to. Nothing really stands out in my memory as far as on the field achievements but there have been a few kind of out of the ordinary things that I have seen at baseball games:

• 1995– a fan ran onto the field at Wrigley because he was pissed at Randy Myers for giving up a late inning HR. The guy made it to the mound before anyone realized what was happening and Myers immediately dropped him with a forearm and pinned him to the ground.

• 1996– Sammy Sosa hit a game winning HR that smashed a window in the building across Waveland Avenue behind the left field bleachers

• 1999– at the Astrodome Astros manager Larry Dierker fell into a fit of seizures and had to be taken away in an ambulance.
I was at the game where Nolan pummeled Robin Ventura. That's about the most exciting thing that has happened at a game I was at.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I was at the game where Nolan pummeled Robin Ventura. That's about the most exciting thing that has happened at a game I was at.
Nice. That is legendary. Someone has even made it into a tee shirt I saw in a local store:

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Topper.

See that there is a historic event. 5 years from now no one outside of Brandon Crawford's family will remember that 7 hit game. But 20+ years later we all remember Nolan Ryan busting up Ventura.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Yes, Hilton Americas Houston. There was a really good deal on it and it was about $30 or so more than Club Quarters.
Well done.

If you want to know of any local eateries or other things to do in that area, feel free to ask. Downtown Houston, and especially midtown, have come a very long way so you have plenty to stay busy with during your time.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I haven't been to a pro baseball game since I was a kid, but the biggest one was Kenny Rogers's perfect game in 1994. Dad had tickets for him, me and my brother, but he got sick last minute and my uncle took us instead. We didn't let him forget that either.
That's cool, props.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
Well done.

If you want to know of any local eateries or other things to do in that area, feel free to ask. Downtown Houston, and especially midtown, have come a very long way so you have plenty to stay busy with during your time.
:unsure

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
:lol

I take it you disagree?

Honestly we aren't going to have any time to really do much of anything outside of the games. Friday's game starts at 7:10 PM and then Saturday's is at 12:05 PM and we are driving back to Austin on Saturday evening.

Kbrown

Not So New Member

I take it you disagree?

Honestly we aren't going to have any time to really do much of anything outside of the games. Friday's game starts at 7:10 PM and then Saturday's is at 12:05 PM and we are driving back to Austin on Saturday evening.
Nah I agree, it's just a reference to a prior discussion we were having about things to do in Houston. Ace couldn't think of much at the time.

Cotton

Staff member
Nice. That is legendary. Someone has even made it into a tee shirt I saw in a local store:
Topper.

See that there is a historic event. 5 years from now no one outside of Brandon Crawford's family will remember that 7 hit game. But 20+ years later we all remember Nolan Ryan busting up Ventura.
What sucks is I was at the concession stand when it happened, so even though I was at the game I didn't get to see it from the stands. I watched it all happen on the monitor while getting food. Was still really cool, though. Even the concession workers were jumping all over the place. :lol

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Nah I agree, it's just a reference to a prior discussion we were having about things to do in Houston. Ace couldn't think of much at the time.

I remember that now.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Oh, Kenny.....you just can't let it go.

And I made myself clear on that. He can go to a bar or grab a nice bite, but that still doesn't make Houston a touristy city.

Good thing he's only staying a couple days. :art

dallen

Senior Tech
That's cool, props.
Yeah, it was. We were out in the center field bleachers so we were right behind Rusty Greer when he made that diving catch in the 9th. From my angle I didn't think he had a shot to get there

Cotton

Staff member
Yeah, it was. We were out in the center field bleachers so we were right behind Rusty Greer when he made that diving catch in the 9th. From my angle I didn't think he had a shot to get there
I remember that game and especially that catch. From watching on TV it didn't look like he would get there, either.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Astros Designate Carlos Gomez For Assignment

By Connor Byrne | August 10, 2016 at 3:29pm CDT

In a stunning move, the Astros have designated center fielder Carlos Gomez for assignment, reports Brian McTaggart of MLB.com (Twitter link).

Gomez’s designation represents a shocking fall from grace for the 30-year-old, whom Houston acquired from Milwaukee last July in a blockbuster deadline deal that also saw right-hander Mike Fiers join the Astros in exchange for four prospects, two of whom – righty Josh Hader (No. 22) and outfielder Brett Phillips (No. 58) – currently rank among Baseball America’s Top 100. That was only after the collapse of a deal between the Brewers and Mets, who were set to trade righty Zack Wheeler and infielder Wilmer Flores to Milwaukee for Gomez.

Gomez was a sought-after commodity last summer because he had established himself as one of the sport’s most well-rounded outfielders in previous seasons, combining excellence at the plate, on the base paths and defensively. From 2012-14, the former highly touted Twins prospect batted .277/.336/.483 with 66 home runs in 1,686 plate appearances, stole 111 bases and accounted for 16.1 fWAR. Gomez was less effective prior to last season’s trade, though he still slashed a respectable .262/.328/.423 with eight homers in his final 74 games with the Brewers.

Gomez’s career began going off the rails after the Astros acquired him, as he hit a meager .242/.288/.383 in 41 contests down the stretch in 2015. But that line looks appealing compared to the .210/.272/.322 Gomez has compiled this season in 323 trips to the plate. Further, he has only five homers while striking out a career-worst 31 percent of the time (a marked increase over his lifetime 23.1 percent mark) and posting his lowest ISO (.112) since 2010. From a statistical standpoint, Gomez’s ability to steal bases (he’s 23 of 28 with the Astros) is the lone aspect of his game that has held up since his departure from the Brewers.
-----------------------

Wow.

Top Bottom