Pre-Season Chatter Thread | Cowboys v Rams | 8/13/2016

lostxn

DCC 4Life
The Cowboys lack of depth was on full display in the 2nd half.

I don't care that they lost the game. The troubling thing was that aside from a few plays here and there, the offense did absolutely nothing. Additionally, the defense was pretty much nonexistent after halftime. Aside from a few nice plays by Olatoye there weren't many positives to point to.

The level of ineptness that I saw in that 2nd half was alarming.
Most of those guys playing in the second half won't make the team. Don't be too worried...

dallen

Senior Tech
In my case, I've been a fan for over forty years. I've seen many QBs come and go that shine in the preseason or flash brilliance when they're tossed into the fire but can't handle the heat when it really counts. If we had drafted Wentz top 5, I would have *expected* him to perform like Prescott did last night but he was a fourth round pick for a reason or two.

Anyway, I'll change my remark from "pretty good" to "pleasantly surprised." I didn't expect him to play as well as he did but after the last twenty years, I've learned to temper my enthusiasm somewhat when it comes to the preseason. I would love to see him or basically anyone become Romo's heir apparent as long as it doesn't end up like the QB debacle from the time Aikman went down until Romo was tossed in the mix after like 5 1/2 years of throwing QB **** against the wall and hoping something stuck. Does that make me a cynic? Eh. Maybe but it isn't without cause.

Moving on but along the same vein, I was pretty underwhelmed by Showers.
The last time a young backup QB looked that good in a preseason Cowboys game it was Tony Romo. Time will tell if Dak can continue improving, but last night he was great.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Okay, so I'm a fake fan and didn't get to watch last night. I've looked at the box score and saw that Prescott seemed to look good, we got a couple of INTs, and Darius Jackson took the brunt of the workload. Can someone give me a synopsis of the rest of the game? Nothing at length, just a brief overview?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The last time a young backup QB looked that good in a preseason Cowboys game it was Tony Romo. Time will tell if Dak can continue improving, but last night he was great.
The best I can say is, I think Dak is just a gamer. I also think getting first team reps in practice is actually very helpful to him.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Okay, so I'm a fake fan and didn't get to watch last night. I've looked at the box score and saw that Prescott seemed to look good, we got a couple of INTs, and Darius Jackson took the brunt of the workload. Can someone give me a synopsis of the rest of the game? Nothing at length, just a brief overview?
https://youtu.be/2n6owVKHJgg

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
1. Dak is gawd.

2. Jackson and Morris both looked good.

3. Chaz Green, choke yourself.

4. Whitehead looks good as a returner.

5. Dez was fantastic.

6. The pass rush wasn't good.

7. Showers would be a disaster as the number 2.

8. The backups on defense mostly suck.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Prescott good. Showers eh. Defense yuck. Dez fap fap.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
The best I can say is, I think Dak is just a gamer. I also think getting first team reps in practice is actually very helpful to him.
The first team reps definitely help, but the QB still has to have the ability to improve.

When you think about it, Cassell and Weeden both got first team reps last year...

dallen

Senior Tech
Dak and Dez were amazing. Chaz, Wilcox and Swaim were terrible. Darius Jackson looked ok, but didn't really have any stand out plays. Andy Jones had multiple drops. Other than the two interceptions the defense played about the same as they always do no matter if it was our ones, twos, or threes in there. No pass rush and run defense were awful. Special Teams coverage units were terrible, but we did return the opening kickoff for a TD. Bailey missed an extra point, but got a second chance and made it due to a penalty. Several pass plays on 3rd\4th and short. I'm pretty sure at one point we turned the ball over on downs because no one on the team realized it was fourth down.

Cotton

Staff member
Dak and Dez were amazing. Chaz, Wilcox and Swaim were terrible. Darius Jackson looked ok, but didn't really have any stand out plays. Andy Jones had multiple drops. Other than the two interceptions the defense played about the same as they always do no matter if it was our ones, twos, or threes in there. No pass rush and run defense were awful. Special Teams coverage units were terrible, but we did return the opening kickoff for a TD. Bailey missed an extra point, but got a second chance and made it due to a penalty. Several pass plays on 3rd\4th and short. I'm pretty sure at one point we turned the ball over on downs because no one on the team realized it was fourth down.
Are you serious about the 4th down thing? Was it just a situational mismanagement or did they really just think it was 3rd down?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The first team reps definitely help, but the QB still has to have the ability to improve.

When you think about it, Cassell and Weeden both got first team reps last year...
Yeah no question about it, I was really impressed by the chemistry he had with Dez though. Also he throws on the run really well and we actually used that to our advantage with the play calling.

dallen

Senior Tech
Oh, and I wasn't as down on Showers as some are. He has a long way to go, but he looked reasonable for a 3rd QB to me. He was running for his life in the second half and had several drops. No where near as good as Dak obviously. He put some throws in bad spots, but others were right on the money. Big thing is that he protected the ball even though his left tackle (Chaz) was barely getting in the DEs way. Hard to judge when he could barely finish his drop before Seau was on him.

dallen

Senior Tech
Are you serious about the 4th down thing? Was it just a situational mismanagement or did they really just think it was 3rd down?
I dunno. It was a stupid roll out pass play call on 4th and 1, and then the entire team just stood around looking confused on the field after it was incomplete. Maybe they were confused about something else, but I got the impression they thought there was another down. As far as I know no one has asked them about it and the announcers didn't point it out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sometimes I get the feeling with these preseason games that once we get into the second half our coaching staff just stops trying. Now obviously I get that the games don't matter if you win or lose, but it also hurts the guys who are trying desperately to make an NFL roster.

dallen

Senior Tech
Wow, he looked really good. Spread the ball around well, and has a gun to get it downfield. Me likey.
They didn't show it on the video but he had a real nice scramble on 3rd and forever to pick up 15 yards and get the team into FG range too

Cotton

Staff member
They didn't show it on the video but he had a real nice scramble on 3rd and forever to pick up 15 yards and get the team into FG range too
Romo 2.0? :unsure

dallen

Senior Tech
Romo 2.0? :unsure
Speaking of Romo 2.0, you should check out Showers's best play of the night:

You'll notice Chaz Green not bothering to block Seau. That was a recurring theme in the 2nd half

Top Bottom