Archer: Win over Giants shows how Cowboys are prepared to lean on Ezekiel Elliott

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Win over Giants shows how Cowboys are prepared to lean on Ezekiel Elliott
12:00 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys weren’t shy in how they used Ezekiel Elliott in Sunday’s season-opening win against the New York Giants.

Elliott played in 60 of the Cowboys’ 74 offensive snaps, or 81 percent.

As a rookie in 2016, Elliott played in a higher percentage of snaps on just four occasions. He played in 90.7 percent against the Green Bay Packers, 83 percent in the first matchup against the Philadelphia Eagles and Minnesota Vikings and 82 percent in the second meeting against the Washington Redskins.

Elliott had 24 carries for 104 yards. He had only three games as a rookie with more carries, topping out at 30 against the Chicago Bears in Week 3. Against the Giants, he caught a career-high five passes for 36 yards.

When Elliott’s suspension was announced on Aug. 11, the Cowboys weren’t sure they were going to have him for the first six games but they prepared as if he would be available for the opener and they weren’t shy about using him.

With the NFL filing for expedited appeals and asking for stays of a court’s decision, it is possible, though not likely, Elliott could serve the suspension at some point this season. Speaking on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas on Tuesday, owner and general manager Jerry Jones said he only expects Elliott to play Sunday against the Denver Broncos. He did not speculate whether Elliott would be available beyond that.

But if Elliott is available, Jones thinks the Giants game was a baseline of how much work the running back will get each week in 2017.

“I think Zeke, he just dials it up,” Jones said on The Fan. “When it's time to go, he goes. I think that it set expectations in a way for Zeke that -- I'm not implying he didn't have -- and that is that we're going to use him on a lot of plays. He's going to get a lot of carries. He's going to get a lot of plays in the passing game.

"We need Zeke on the field. And so to the extent that in any way that that impacts him mentally as getting ready, conditioning, any of those things, I think this is what you're going to see. Last year, if I had anything to add to what he did last year, I would have wanted him on the field more plays than he played even last year.”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I want to draft a RB in the 3rd-5th this next draft. Jay Ajayi and Jordan Howard are two guys I really liked in each of the past two drafts, each were drafted in the 5th round and I think it'd be a good investment to find a guy who can fill in for Elliott if/when he misses the 6 games and/or if/when he does some other dumb bullshit.

The margin for error with the pick is higher due to our OL, so I don't necessarily think it has to be a 3rd, but if someone like Royce Freeman was there at our pick I'd love him. Elliott needs a wake up call, and maybe this whole situation has been enough, but if he ends up missing the 6 games next year and has to watch a young back tear it up you'd hope he'd stop acting like such a fuck.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I want to draft a RB in the 3rd-5th this next draft. Jay Ajayi and Jordan Howard are two guys I really liked in each of the past two drafts, each were drafted in the 5th round and I think it'd be a good investment to find a guy who can fill in for Elliott if/when he misses the 6 games and/or if/when he does some other dumb bullshit.

The margin for error with the pick is higher due to our OL, so I don't necessarily think it has to be a 3rd, but if someone like Royce Freeman was there at our pick I'd love him. Elliott needs a wake up call, and maybe this whole situation has been enough, but if he ends up missing the 6 games next year and has to watch a young back tear it up you'd hope he'd stop acting like such a fuck.
Yep I totally agree. Especially since Morris and McFadden are getting long in the tooth. But it would be nice to at least be able to prepare for the 6 game suspension a little before it actually happens.

dallen

Senior Tech

It'd be good to replace Morris and McFadden with guys that can play special teams too

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It'd be good to replace Morris and McFadden with guys that can play special teams too
Meh, we have the schlub Smith's for that, if a guy can return kicks too that'd be great but I'd be looking for someone who can carry the load in case this dickhead does something.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Meh, we have the schlub Smith's for that, if a guy can return kicks too that'd be great but I'd be looking for someone who can carry the load in case this dickhead does something.
Yeah just draft a talented RB and teach him special teams if you need. But really getting a complete back would be ideal. None of this Pumphrey type bullshit. Plus last year's RB class seemed so heavy that maybe teams have filled their needs for a young RB already

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah just draft a talented RB and teach him special teams if you need. But really getting a complete back would be ideal. None of this Pumphrey type bullshit. Plus last year's RB class seemed so heavy that maybe teams have filled their needs for a young RB already
I think this will be another strong year depending on the juniors of course, Barkley looks like a top 5-10 pick and Guice will probably go top 15-20.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think this will be another strong year depending on the juniors of course, Barkley looks like a top 5-10 pick and Guice will probably go top 15-20.
Yeah but last years RB class wasn't great because of the first round. Don't get me wrong, there were two very good RBs who went in the first. It was the guys who went in the second, third and fourth round though that are really showing themselves right now and they are what made it such a talented class.

So with that in mind I'd look down the list a little. Guys like Roy Freeman, Nick Chubb, Mark Walton, Damien Harris and such. I don't know nearly enough about this RB class yet. Ask me 4 months from now and I'll have a better idea.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah but last years RB class wasn't great because of the first round. Don't get me wrong, there were two very good RBs who went in the first. It was the guys who went in the second, third and fourth round though that are really showing themselves right now and they are what made it such a talented class.

So with that in mind I'd look down the list a little. Guys like Roy Freeman, Nick Chubb, Mark Walton, Damien Harris and such. I don't know nearly enough about this RB class yet. Ask me 4 months from now and I'll have a better idea.
True, I think the potential is there though. This time last year not many knew about Kareem Hunt or D'Onta Foreman but they both went in the 3rd.

With Barkley and Guice I think the top end talent is there, I like Freeman, and then some of the guys you mentioned could solidify themselves in the 2nd/3rd, along with guys like Ronald Jones and Myles Gaskin.

It's still early but I could see it being similarly deep, even if it isn't quite as good as last year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
True, I think the potential is there though. This time last year not many knew about Kareem Hunt or D'Onta Foreman but they both went in the 3rd.

With Barkley and Guice I think the top end talent is there, I like Freeman, and then some of the guys you mentioned could solidify themselves in the 2nd/3rd, along with guys like Ronald Jones and Myles Gaskin.

It's still early but I could see it being similarly deep, even if it isn't quite as good as last year.
I'm a big Wadley fan out of Iowa but I didn't want to mention him since I'm an Iowa fan and it makes me look like a homer. But Kiper does have him listed as his third best senior RB. I'm not sure he really fits what we need here but if he goes to the right scheme I think he could be an excellent NFL RB. In Dallas he would be a third down RB only probably.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I'm a big Wadley fan out of Iowa but I didn't want to mention him since I'm an Iowa fan and it makes me look like a homer. But Kiper does have him listed as his third best senior RB. I'm not sure he really fits what we need here but if he goes to the right scheme I think he could be an excellent NFL RB. In Dallas he would be a third down RB only probably.
Homer.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Frankly the guy is the biggest reason we were able to beat Iowa State. His catch and run for a TD in the fourth quarter of the game to tie it was nothing short of brilliant. But behind our O-line (The Cowboys) I'd prefer a bigger back that can move the pile and carry a heavy load (20+ carries) if Zeke has to sit.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I like Wadley although I agree that our braintrust probably would only want someone who is 215+ starting.

dallen

Senior Tech
I didn't mean targeting guys that are good special team players. I meant getting some young guys in that can run the ball and won't fall apart if you ask them to cover a couple kicks

Top Bottom