Training Camp Thread...

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Brett Favre would play for Cowboys under one condition

Sporting News

Jordan Heck

7 hrs ago

At one point in time, Brett Favre would be retired one week and unretired the next. The flip-flopping became a running joke amongst NFL fans that eventually turned into a hilarious ESPN commercial that mocked his indecisiveness.

Favre is now six years removed from football and is about to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But wait ... the Cowboys are in desperate need of a backup quarterback and could use someone like Tony Romo who runs around and slings the ball. Would Favre consider another comeback?

"You know what? Being around, walking in this Hall and stuff, it kind of gives you an itch," Favre said Friday on Good Morning Football. "The only problem is I can't get hit. Can they promise I won't get hit?"

As former NFL receiver and GMFB host Nate Burleson points out, the Cowboys do have a great offensive line.

"Well, I mean, that's good. But I need a little more ... security," Favre responded, laughing.

Technically, there's no rule against Hall of Fame players returning to play football, but it's never happened and is very unlikely. And Favre playing for the Cowboys is definitely not going to happen, but jokes about him coming out of retirement are always funny.

Coming back to reality, some quarterbacks to which the Cowboys have been connected include Josh Freeman and Josh McCown.
-----

Ha ha. Ho ho. He's still like a kid out there. :mad

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
BTW, Wade Wilson is not in camp now due to a personal issue.

Perhaps we can benefit from the opportunity.

townsend

Banned
BTW, Wade Wilson is not in camp now due to a personal issue.

Perhaps we can benefit from the opportunity.
I feel like he actually hasn't been to the last 3 training camps but he had to come up with an excuse for why he was hanging out at home in his underwear when Moore broke his ankle. Showers and Dak hadn't learned to cover for him yet.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Brett Favre would play for Cowboys under one condition

Sporting News

Jordan Heck

7 hrs ago

At one point in time, Brett Favre would be retired one week and unretired the next. The flip-flopping became a running joke amongst NFL fans that eventually turned into a hilarious ESPN commercial that mocked his indecisiveness.

Favre is now six years removed from football and is about to be enshrined in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. But wait ... the Cowboys are in desperate need of a backup quarterback and could use someone like Tony Romo who runs around and slings the ball. Would Favre consider another comeback?

"You know what? Being around, walking in this Hall and stuff, it kind of gives you an itch," Favre said Friday on Good Morning Football. "The only problem is I can't get hit. Can they promise I won't get hit?"

As former NFL receiver and GMFB host Nate Burleson points out, the Cowboys do have a great offensive line.

"Well, I mean, that's good. But I need a little more ... security," Favre responded, laughing.

Technically, there's no rule against Hall of Fame players returning to play football, but it's never happened and is very unlikely. And Favre playing for the Cowboys is definitely not going to happen, but jokes about him coming out of retirement are always funny.

Coming back to reality, some quarterbacks to which the Cowboys have been connected include Josh Freeman and Josh McCown.
-----

Ha ha. Ho ho. He's still like a kid out there. :mad
Uh-Uh, no way, no how. That has been can just keep his ass in Mississippi.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Jiggyfly

Banned
Thurs. Practice Report: Dak Runs With The Ones, Scandrick Returns; More
Thursday, August 04, 2016 9:41 PM CDT

By David Helman
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer
@HelmanDC
OXNARD, Calif. – Dak Prescott had his customary pitch-and-catch with Cowboys coach Jason Garrett on Thursday after practice. After that, he stopped for a quick chat with team owner/general manager Jerry Jones.
That’s the type of attention you get when you’re called on to fill the void as the backup quarterback – or, as the case was with Tony Romo taking Thursday off, the temporary starter.
“It just gives the opportunity to prove ourselves, to go out there and show that we’re adjusting to this offense and getting the concepts that we can play in this league,” Prescott said.
Prescott ran with the first-team for the duration of a depleted afternoon practice. He didn’t have Dez Bryant, Jason Witten or Ezekiel Elliott in the starting lineup, but it was still a far cry from the third-team – particularly when it came to facing the starting Dallas defense.
“I’m starting to pick up what the defense is doing, what they’re disguising and stuff like that, so that’s helping a lot, as well,” he said.
Garrett said he planned to have his quarterbacks play some situational football at practice, and that was highlighted by a spirited two-minute drill. Prescott wasn’t perfect, but he completed three solid passes – including a 3rd-and-5 conversion to Cole Beasley.
The drive stalled and resulted in a Dan Bailey field goal, however.
“I think I did alright,” Prescott said. “Obviously, I wanted to score, but the situation was before the half and we got points and that’s what matters.”

Quick Hits Read
Orlando Scandrick made his way back into the competitive portions of practice on Thursday. Playing primarily in the slot, he was active in full-team and two-minute drill, breaking up a pass intended for Cole Beasley.

Ezekiel Elliott sat out of practice, but he’s healthy enough to do some conditioning work. Cowboys athletic trainers worked with Elliott on his sore hamstring, allowing him to stretch it out.

DeMarcus Lawrence continues to measure up to Tyron Smith in the 1-on-1 portions of practice. The third-year defensive end beat Smith once on a 1-on-1 rush, and he got the All-Pro left tackle off balance on a couple of occasions.

Dez Bryant created quite a stir for several minutes after practice when he went to the fence-line to sign autographs. But he even went back out for a second trip when he was informed one fan had a tattoo of Dez “throwing up the X” on his hand. Bryant ran some 65 yards back down the field to meet the fan, get a picture. “That’s real dedication right there,” said Bryant, who then signed a few more autographs as he made his way back to the locker room.

Notable Standouts
Morris Claiborne – The fifth-year corner continues to have an outstanding camp. Claiborne was active around the ball all afternoon, highlighted by his near-takeaway in the two-minute drill. Prescott looked for Brice Butler on a curl route, only for Claiborne to jump the route and bat the ball away. It nearly could have been an interception, but it was a nice play nonetheless.

Dan Bailey – He’s been his usual reliable self for most of these practices, but he took it to another level during two-minute drill. The first-team offense stalled at about the 38-yard line, so Bailey’s clutch kick was from roughly 55 yards away. He nailed it – to no one’s surprise.

Cole Beasley – Orlando Scandrick and Sean Lee broke up a couple of balls intended for Beasley, but it was still obvious who Prescott was looking for on a lot of the offense’s first-team reps. The speedy receiver continues to be hard to cover 1-on-1, which made him a perfect outlet for Prescott as he continues to get comfortable in the offense.

Play of the Day
Jameill Showers made a big league throw during the seven-on-seven portion of practice, but the truly impressive part was the guy who made the catch. Lined up in the slot, Gavin Escobar tore across field on a post, blowing past Isaiah Frey in the process. As Escobar crossed the hashmarks, Showers ripped a 30-yard throw right toward his tight end. Kavon Frazier was the safety on the play, and he didn’t recognize what was unfolding in time. The result was Escobar reeling in a touchdown catch, despite Frey’s best efforts to catch up to the play. It was another impressive reminder of how far Escobar has come since tearing his Achilles

Jiggyfly

Banned
Scout's Notebook: Thoughts On The Secondary, Russell's Development
Thursday, August 04, 2016 11:48 PM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout

It had to be good feeling for these defensive coaches to see Orlando Scandrick back in his nickel/slot position. It was his first extended action of training camp and Scandrick was able to come up with an outstanding play during the two-minute drill. Scandrick carried Cole Beasley inside and just as Dak Prescott was attempting to deliver the ball, Scandrick in perfect position extended his left hand in front of Beasley to knock the ball away and save the defense a potential big play with Beasley on the move.

I’ve been seeing a more aggressive Brandon Carr in these practices. I see a player that is taking more risks and the results have been that he has been getting to more balls. In 7-on-7, Carr read Brice Butler, who was attempting to run a slant on the play and managed to beat him to the spot before the ball arrived. As we have all been too familiar with Carr, he never wins on a slant. Because of his drive, he was so physical with Butler that Butler was not able to position his body in order to make the catch.

Ryan Russell caught a break in practice when he didn’t have to rush against Tyron Smith during 1-on-1. Russell, who has been working off the right side during practice, took the majority of his snaps from the left side and some inside at tackle. Russell was able to get Doug Free off balance with a beautiful spin move that had Free reaching for air. Russell was able to push Free to his right, get his hands down and then spin hard to the inside. All of Free’s weight was on his right foot and to the outside and he was unable to adjust back to stop Russell’s charge to prevent the sack.

Just a couple of position notes: Morris Claiborne played in the slot opposite Orlando Scandrick in the dime package, instead of his normal outside position. Claiborne was able to carry Cole Beasley up the field on a wheel route, which resulted in Jameill Showers throwing the ball out of reach. Without Jason Witten and James Hanna in the lineup, Geoff Swaim was used as the primary blocker at the point of attack offensively when the team went into the Run/Play Action Period.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Player Postcard: Butler's Progress, Looney Settling In, Intriguing Young DE
Friday, August 05, 2016 10:54 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus

OXNARD, Calif. – Three players who stood out to me after studying the Cowboys’ Thursday night practice.
Brice Butler, WR
I’m still waiting on Butler to have that practice where he puts himself in position to compete with Terrance Williams for the spot opposite Dez Bryant. Butler has been getting his chances and with Bryant sitting out of Thursday’s practice, he was on full display. His strengths are his ability to use his body to shield defenders in route -- especially on the slant -- and to separate up the field. I haven’t seen him execute either of these with any consistency. Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr were able to shut him down on separate occasions when the ball was delivered in his direction. This is not the player I thought I would see while we were here in Oxnard to this point.

Mike McAdoo, DE
At 6-7, 255 you would think that McAdoo has a better shot to make an NBA team than an NFL one. What I have learned about him is: don't let the thin build fool you, he has surprising strength in that frame. I am not saying that he's an overpowering player that can stand there and go toe-to-toe with Tyron Smith, but there are snaps where he is able to hold the edge when the ball does come his direction. His length is also an asset when he can extend on the blocker and keep that separation as he is working toward the ball. He is a slippery pass rusher that can capture the edge, and -- due to his frame -- not allow the blocker much of a hitting surface. McAdoo has been able to carry over many of the positive snaps from the OTAs and minicamps to these practices while at training camp.

Joe Looney, C/OG
Before signing Joe Looney this past offseason, I had a chance to sit down and study his game. I didn't see an overwhelming physical player but more of a fit and position type of blocker. What has been different now seeing him practice live is that he can be more of a physical player. If you watched our coverage of Training Camp Live, you could see this exact type of trait I was speaking of when he was dealing with Cedric Thornton -- who is one of the most powerful players along this defensive front. While I expected the worst in this matchup with Thornton, he was able to sit down on Thornton and keep him from the spot. It was a nice display of power and technique against a rusher who was giving blockers problems. Looney appears to be more comfortable at center than guard but his play has not been poor. I would call him an upgrade at this point over Mackenzy Bernadeau -- who lined up at that position in the past.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Romo's Mind, Physicality Of NFL CBs Stand Out To Rookie WR Andy Jones
Friday, August 05, 2016 12:10 PM CDT

By David Helman
@HelmanDC
OXNARD, Calif. – Andy Jones racked his brain for a second, temporarily thrown off by the question.
What, to this early point in training camp, has been the most impressive aspect of practice with the Dallas Cowboys?

“I’d have to say Tony Romo’s mind,” he said. “Just to see someone be able to operate the team, the offense like a living. He’s really smart.”

The rookie receiver smiled sheepishly at the next question. With so many receivers in camp, not to mention Romo’s status as the Cowboys’ franchise quarterback, how many opportunities has Jones had to work with No. 9?

“I’ve had a few, but I’m just trying to work my way on and earn his trust – and everybody else’s trust,” Jones said. “Hopefully they keep putting me out there.”

That’s the mantra for any rookie longshot, and Jones is embracing the challenge. The 6-foot-1 receiver has also worked on the special teams units in punt coverage, in addition to his duties on the offense. Jones said his goal is to keep up with both the offensive and special teams playbooks so he can maximize his playing time.
“When it comes to knowing the plays and different things, I’m getting on that very well. I’m hearing good stuff about that,” he said. “But there’s some technical things I’ve been working on myself and talking to Coach Dooley. I’ve been getting better with that too.”

Jones has been catching eyes for several months now, ever since he signed as an undrafted free agent out of Jacksonville University. Given his large stature and his college production – 60 catches, 890 yards and eight touchdowns in just 10 games – he’s been a fan favorite since he started making grabs during OTAs and minicamp.

The unpadded practices of the spring have given way to the real deal, though, and Jones said it’s been an adjustment getting used to both the speed and the physicality of an NFL practice.
“It is different – just the style of how corners play. One thing I’m getting used to is that I have to use my hands a lot more,” he said. “In the past I haven’t had to do that as much. I’ve done it, but not as much. You need to really have your hands involved, and I’ve been working on that.”
The work is only just beginning, as the next month of practices – not to mention four preseason games – will help determine Jones’ future with the Cowboys.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Morris Enjoying Added Reps; Describes His Conditioning With Ali Reference
Friday, August 05, 2016 8:35 PM CDT

By Nick Eatman
@nickeatman
OXNARD, Calif. – When Alfred Morris got to camp about a week ago, he was asked by reporters more than a few times about his willingness and experience in playing special teams.
It’s a legitimate question and one that will likely help him stay on the team, considering the depth this team has at running back.

While Morris was more than accommodating to the media, and even understanding to the line of questioning, the veteran running back hasn’t had time to deal with special teams units so far here in California.
Instead, he’s been the featured back here for the bulk of training camp.

Obviously that isn’t the long-term plan, but with Ezekiel Elliott nursing a hamstring injury, and Darren McFadden (elbow) and Lance Dunbar (knee) still rehabbing pre-camp injuries, Morris is the only experienced back the Cowboys have.

“I’ve been getting a lot of reps – but that’s good,” Morris said. “I need those reps because I’m still one of the new guys, too. I have a good understanding of this offense but I’m still learning. So the more reps I get, the better.”

Morris is working with the first-team offense, while sixth-round pick Darius Jackson and converted-fullback Rod Smith are getting second- and third-team snaps. While one might assume Morris wants to hog all of the reps, he is more than ready for the likes of Dunbar and McFadden, and of course, Elliott to return soon.

“I don’t like that anyone is out because we need everybody,” Morris said on Friday. “It sounds a little cliché but it’s the truth. When we don’t have competition, we’re not really getting better. I can get a lot better when we have more guys and splitting reps.”

Morris admitted before camp that he wants to improve his all-around skills during camp. While he’s rushed for 1,000 yards three times and made two Pro Bowls, Morris knows he can elevate his game as a blocker and pass-catcher.

“It’s a perfect opportunity to do some of those things,” Morris said. “Right now, I’m doing things I’m normally wouldn’t be able to do. It’s one thing to get opportunity and it’s another to make the most of it. That’s really what I’m focused on.”

His focus and attention to detail are some of the traits that his new head coach loves about his new running back.

“First of all, he’s an unbelievable person. It’s impossible not to love this guy,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “He’s really a special guy. He has been a guy that’s been a featured back in this league – a very productive featured back in this league. He has not played a lot of special teams, but he wants to make our football team, he wants to have a role in our football team, so he’s willing to do anything he can to do that. We’ve seen him in a lot of different places on special teams, he’s learning, he’s embracing it and trying to take full advantage of the opportunity.”

Whether Morris is starting, working as the No. 2 back, or fighting for a roster spot as the third back who needs to play special teams, he promises to be in good shape, especially at the end of games.
“I pride myself on being in the best shape of my life,” he said. “No matter how fast you are, big you are or strong you are, those things don’t matter if you’re tired. If you can outlast your opponent. It’s like the Rope-a-dope effect with Ali. If you can outlast your opponent in the third and fourth quarter when they’re bending over, you can outlast them and say ‘I’ve got you now.”

But this is the time to get in the best football shape. Only football gets you ready for football.”
And during this first week of camp, Morris is getting to play much more football than even he anticipated.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Camp Sights: Daily Hot Takes Include Winning WRs, McAdoo Shining & More
Friday, August 05, 2016 9:14 PM CDT
By DallasCowboys.com Report

Nick Eatman: There’s always a receiver who comes out of nowhere to shine at camp and so far, the guy has been Andy Jones, seemingly every day. You always know who is getting the coaches’ attention when Jason Garrett calls out his name during the “Compete” period, which pits players in 1-on-1 matchups with the entire team looking on. On this day, Jones got called out to face cornerback Josh Thomas, made a nice breakup on the pass down the field. But Jones had earlier made a nice 1-on-1 catch in the end zone and is starting to distance himself on the depth chart from the other receivers.

Bryan Broaddus: I thought it was a much better day for the receivers when it came to the 1-on-1 drills coming out of the red zone. There were quality catches from Dez Bryant and Andy Jones that resulted in touchdowns. Cole Beasley, Lucky Whitehead and Ed Eagan were able to shake loose from the slot on their match ups to win inside. Brice Butler who I was critical was able to execute two really nice slants after struggling to win on those routes on Thursday. As a group, the receivers did a much better job of taking the fight to the corners where in the previous practices that wasn’t the case at all.

Rob Phillips: Continue to notice Mike McAdoo among these young pass rushers. Repeatedly he won one-on-one rush matchups against offensive tackle Cameron Bradfield with inside and outside moves, and he had a would-be sack on Jameill Showers in team drills. Prior to signing to the Cowboys’ practice squad last December, McAdoo had been out of football since 2013 after suffering season-ending knee and Achilles injuries in 2011 and 2012. He has a tall and slender frame for a defensive end but can win with quickness. Rod Marinelli has said he’s looking for eight guys who can comprise an effective defensive line rotation. McAdoo will obviously need a strong preseason to be in the conversation, but he’s one to keep an eye on.

David Helman: Before Friday’s practice started, another reporter leaned over to me and said he thought the offense was going to crush the defense. It was a justifiable opinion, considering that Tony Romo, Dez Bryant and Jason Witten were all back to practice, while Sean Lee and Barry Church were sitting out. But when Jason Garrett gathered his team for the much-anticipated Compete Period of practice, the opposite happened. The defense reeled off five-straight wins in 1-on-1 competition. Josh Thomas broke up a long pass to Andy Jones. Mark Nzeocha crushed Darius Jackson in blitz pickup. James Morris blew up Rico Gathers in blitz protection David Irving raced past Chaz Green, and Ryan Russell hit Cameron Bradfield with a fantastic spin move. Jason Garrett himself called the Compete Period a “bludgeoning,” and it was hard to argue with him. The defense dominated.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys' scrimmage has multiple goals, but not for veterans
5:08 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. – The Dallas Cowboys will hold their annual Blue-White scrimmage Sunday, but it’s not for the veterans.

Before the scrimmage starts, the Cowboys will hold a normal training-camp practice. Once that is completed, the rookies and younger players will take part in tackle football.

“We don’t do it long, but we think it’s important they feel the physicalness of the game,” coach Jason Garrett said, “and then four, five days later they’re going to play in a real game. So we feel it’s the right time to do it and it’s always been pretty beneficial for us.”

Garrett said there is a script the coaches will follow, but that could be adjusted during the scrimmage based on the availability of several players at specific positions.

Offensive coordinator Scott Linehan said the goal is to get backup quarterbacks Dak Prescott and Jameill Showers similar looks. With Kellen Moore out with a broken fibula, the Cowboys have slowed their approach in finding a veteran backup, leaving Prescott and Showers as the only other quarterbacks in camp behind Tony Romo.

If history is an indication, Romo will not play in the preseason opener against the Los Angeles Rams, which would leave Prescott, their fourth-round pick, or Showers as the starter.

Given the amount of work both should get against the Rams, the coaches want to do everything they can to simulate game-like situations in practice.

“We can control some of the reps,” Linehan said. “A lot of situations come up naturally. If one didn’t get as much as the other, they’ll get more in that situation.”

Another benefit to the scrimmage, according to Garrett, is the pre-practice routine.

“We’ll have guys come out and we’ll rehearse the warmup (for games) instead of taking regular practice time to do that,” Garrett said. “Guys will just leave the locker room, the timing of warm-ups, where you are on the field, we’ll go through that, how we stretch and we’ll go through that whole approach.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
Fri. Practice Recap: Dez Returns, Stephen Jones Speaks, More News
Friday, August 05, 2016 9:35 PM CDT

By David Helman
@HelmanDC
OXNARD, Calif. – There was a three-day wait for theatrics, but Dez Bryant returned in style to training camp on Friday.
The Cowboys’ All-Pro receiver suffered through some disappointing work days on Monday and Tuesday, marked by dropped balls and an inability to connect with Tony Romo. Then, after an off day on Wednesday, the coaching staff gave him a veteran’s day off.
But that wait made it all the more worthwhile when Bryant got back to making catches and stealing the spotlight during Friday’s afternoon session.
“Every day it just gets better and feels more natural, more natural,” Bryant said. “I’m excited. I’m taking it day-by-day.”
Bryant made perhaps the best play of training camp to date when he lined up across from Brandon Carr in 1-on-1 drills early in practice. Tony Romo sent him up the near sideline and threw him a back shoulder fade – which Bryant snagged one-handed after gaining some separation.

Follow

It was an encouraging sign for an offense that didn’t have its playmakers available for the majority of the 2015 season. Add newcomer Ezekiel Elliott to the occasion, and Bryant said there’s no limit to what the Dallas offense is capable of.
“It can be as good as we want it to be, but that’s up to us,” he said. “We just have stay focused, remain extremely humble and go after it.”

Quick Hits Read
Cedric Thornton was absent from Friday’s practice, but Cowboys executive vice president Stephen Jones said it wasn’t injury-related. Thornton came down sick and took the day off to recover.
Jones also updated the Cowboys’ situation as it pertains to backup quarterback. He said there’s current no update, but the Cowboys will continue to assess the situation. “We’ve got guys we’ll keep our eyes on, keep watching to see what might be available out there,” he said. Jones said the Cowboys made a run at Nick Foles, but that didn’t’ work out. He repeated that his first priority is to “get it right.”
The Cowboys worked out an offensive lineman on Friday, but they didn’t sign him. Jones said the front office will continue to look at offensive line options to bring in for workouts.
The Cowboys bring in officiating crews to referee their practices, and on Friday they had none other than well-known NFL official Ed Hochuli on the fields for practice. Hochuli is the NFL’s longest-tenured referee, and he has officiated two Super Bowls.
With Tyron Smith, Sean Lee and Barry Church getting a veteran’s day off, their replacements with the first-team offense and defense were Chaz Green, Mark Nzeocha and J.J. Wilcox, respectively.

Notable Standouts

Jason Witten – With Romo and Witten returning to practice, they made sure to get back on the same page as usual. Romo looked for Witten often during the course of practice. During full-team drills, he found Witten for a sizable gain on a crossing route in which Witten was all alone. In two-minute drill, Witten sat down in the middle of the defense and picked up first downs on two different occasions.
Ryan Russell – The second-year defensive end continues to improve in this first week of practice. He baffled Cameron Bradfield in 1-on-1 drills, and he repeatedly made his presence known during the full-team portions of practice.

Alfred Morris – The veteran running back had a hard time finding running room at times during practice, but he shined when the team moved to red zone drills. Morris scored two touchdowns in the red zone – bouncing one to the outside and carrying the other inside. He continues to benefit from Ezekiel Elliott and Darren McFadden’s absence from practice.

Play of the Day
Dez’s one-handed catch in 1-on-1’s was probably the play of the day. But since we’ve already covered that, give credit to Jason Witten. Thursday’s rest must have done him some good, because he punished the defense in two-minute drill. With the Cowboys facing a 3rd-and-10, Witten ran his trademarked curl route and sat down right in the middle of the defense. Orlando Scandrick and the Dallas secondary did their best to disrupt his timing, but Romo found Witten four a first down to keep the chains moving. The Cowboys eventually kicked a field goal on the drive.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Scout's Notebook: Dak Goes Downfield, Romo's Chemistry; Other Notes
Saturday, August 06, 2016 12:37 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus
OXNARD, Calif. – Five things that caught my eye while I watched the Cowboys work through their Friday afternoon practice. Read
Tony Romo has always done a nice job of moving the ball around to his receivers, but I just get the feeling he is making more of an effort to get Dez Bryant going in these practices -- regardless of how strong the coverage has been. Romo and Bryant were able to get things going early in practice during 1-on-1. Bryant was able to swat Morris Claiborne aside with his left hand, then run an uncontested slant. Bryant later came up with a ball that only he could have caught. A leaping one-handed catch over the top of Brandon Carr, who had absolutely no chance to defend the play. Bryant finished the drill with a corner route where Carr was in nice position to defend, but he held Bryant as he tried to make his break to the outside -- it was an easy call for the NFL official to make.

Can’t tell you how many times I’ve seen Jason Witten run an “out and up” in the red zone and clear himself for a touchdown. It almost happened again during practice, but Tony Romo was a little too high with his pass. As the play developed, I thought that Romo would have hit Dez Bryant in the middle of the field with the sure throw, but instead he tried to fit the ball in over the top with J.J. Wilcox in coverage. To Witten’s credit there was a little separation there and if the ball had been just a bit lower there is no question that Witten would have been able to haul it in.

I have been waiting for Dak Prescott to take a shot down the field to see if he could beat some coverage and he finally did. Geoff Swaim ran a beautiful deep crossing route through the zone and Prescott saw him all the way. Swaim was able to get just beyond the linebackers and was able to find the open space. Prescott hit him with a strike on the move. As pretty as the pass was, it was really all for naught. Prescott would have been sacked by Michael McAdoo, who had beaten Cameron Bradfield around the edge and had a clear run at the quarterback.

During this first week of practice, we had been seeing Cole Beasley work more out of the slot than we had on the outside. On two separate occasions, Beasley was able to get up the field working from the outside with one of those snaps coming against Orlando Scandrick. Beasley was able to win off the line with just a straight burst, which put Scandrick in a position where he had to chase. Romo had to make the throw up the field and away from a closing J.J. Wilcox. If Beasley is 6 feet tall, he likely makes that catch because he laid out to attempt the make it -- but it was just a little too far for him to grab.

Byron Jones continues to look more and more comfortable in his role as the full-time safety on this defense. During the 7-on-7 period in the red zone, Jones lined up in a two-deep look on the left side. At the snap of the ball, he settled on the hash, reading his keys. Gavin Escobar came into his area from his right and stopped in front of him. It appeared that Romo wanted to go to Dez Bryant behind them, but J.J. Wilcox and Morris Claiborne cut that option off. Romo then decided to make a snap throw to Escobar, but Jones drove over Escobar’s right shoulder and with his right hand ripped the ball out before Escobar could secure it. Romo put the ball in a perfect spot for Escobar to grab, but Jones was just better in his ability to deny the catch.

Cotton

Staff member
Good stuff, Jiggy. Props.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Player Postcard: So-So Day For Romo, Big Opportunity For Geoff Swaim
Saturday, August 06, 2016 11:29 AM CDT

By Bryan Broaddus
Football Analyst/Scout
@BryanBroaddus
(Editor’s Note: 90 players are striving for a roster spot over the next month. In an effort to keep up with all of them, Bryan Broaddus is going to write a report on three different players after every practice. From the team’s most prominent players to its no-name camp bodies, this is a place to read about what’s going on across the Cowboys’ roster.)
OXNARD, Calif. – Three players who caught my eye while I watched the Cowboys’ Friday afternoon practice.

Tony Romo QB
I thought it was a 50-50 practice for Romo on Friday. There was some good and not-so-good. He and Dez Bryant were able to hook up on some throws in the 1-on-1 period. They missed what would have likely been a touchdown on a vertical route up the right sideline in Team Period, when Bryant got separation on Morris Claiborne. He missed a throw to Cole Beasley going the same direction and he was just a little too tall for on the out-and-up to Jason Witten. Romo also had some bad luck on two interceptions that went off his intended targets’ hands. One was to Witten crossing underneath in the red zone and the other was to Terrance Williams, who was running inside but was unable to adjust his hands quick enough to pull the ball down. I haven't seen any problems with Romo's velocity or arm strength in these practices due to any of his previous injuries that he has had to deal with.

Geoff Swaim TE
If there is a player that has benefited from members of his position being out of practice due to injury or taking a veteran day, it has to be Geoff Swaim. To his credit, he has been able to answer the bell each practice with a play or two that gets him noticed. If you were to ask me for his best trait, I would say as a route runner he has a real understanding of how to get himself open. Swaim is one of those players that plays with his eyes up. He sees the depth of the linebackers and safeties, then finds ways to adjust off them. What has also been impressive about Swaim has been his ability to finish the play. His hands have been outstanding and any ball that has been thrown in his direction, he has been able to secure. He continues to improve as an inline blocker, but he's not at the level of a Jason Witten or James Hanna at this point.

Lawrence Okoye DT / DE
Like many of these young defensive linemen, I didn't know much about Lawrence Okoye. I knew that he didn't have much experience in the league, but at 6-6, 310 pounds, he has a pro-type of body. My immediate thought was Okoye would be a defensive end only, but in these practices with all the problems that this team has had on the inside, he has been able to step in and help to give the position some stability at tackle. What strikes me about Okoye has been his ability to play with power when working against these blockers. He does a fine job of playing with leverage, but how he does it is interesting because he tends to play a little tall and upright. If there is an area that he will surely need to work on, it is playing with more knee bend. Right now he is getting away with that because of his upper body strength, but he can't continue to just play that way and be successful. Lawrence Okoye has been a nice surprise during the first week of this camp and that was something I didn't expect.

Cotton

Staff member
Cowboys' Gavin Escobar lets loose in return from torn Achilles
4:32 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

OXNARD, Calif. -- Dallas Cowboys tight end Gavin Escobar sprinted off the line, perhaps the fastest he had gone all training camp. He started on the left side of the line and ran diagonally across the field toward the right corner of the end zone.

Seeing the safety flat-footed as Escobar approached, quarterback Jameill Showers fired the ball to the end zone. The pass couldn’t be too high or too low. It had to lead Escobar just enough. As Escobar reached the goal line in full sprint, he reached, stretching his 6-foot-6 frame as far as he could.

The ball stuck to his hands. He got his feet down. Touchdown.

“I had to move, so that was good, because when you’re running routes on air you don’t necessarily have to,” Escobar said. “You don’t go that little extra burst, so knowing I could still do that, it’s good for my confidence in the injury.”

On Dec. 19, 2015, Escobar tore his Achilles against the New York Jets. He had surgery three days later. Seven-plus months after the surgery, Escobar was able to demonstrate speed and put tension on the leg at the very end in what might have been the most impressive training-camp play he has had since joining the Cowboys as a second-round pick in 2013.

“He’s worked hard, I know that,” coach Jason Garrett said. “Just a matter of continuing to get stronger in the area he hurt. But he’s had a good start.”

When Escobar got hurt running a route against the Jets, he wasn’t sure what happened.

“There were a lot of thoughts that go through your mind in such a short span, which is funny because I thought somebody kicked me,” Escobar said. “That’s what it feels like, the injury, so the closest one to me was Dez (Bryant) and I thought, ‘Why would Dez kick me? There’s no motion (to my side).’ I looked back and there’s no one there. My second thought was that it was just a bad calf cramp, so I hobble off the field. I guess my Achilles was just dangling. They told me, ‘Nah, it doesn’t look like a calf cramp.’ That was a bummer.”

Achilles tears can be devastating. Players can lose explosiveness and mobility. The rehab is tedious and long. In the Cowboys locker room, however, Escobar could look to defensive tackle Tyrone Crawford, who missed the 2013 season, and safety Barry Church, who missed 13 games in 2012 with the same injury.

“They didn’t tell me about the pain I was going to feel after the surgery, which I got mad at Tyrone about,” Escobar said.

Not long after the surgery, Escobar looked at the calendar to plan his comeback and set a goal. The medical staff told him it was a six-to-12-month recovery. With training camp starting in late July, his goal was to be full go by then.

He has yet to do everything, but it’s not because he hasn’t been cleared. The Cowboys want to be deliberate in his return to avoid a setback.

To avoid a possible setback, Escobar arrives to the training room about an hour before practice for ultrasound and heat. He stretches out more than normal as well. After practice he will dump his leg in ice and visit the chiropractor to work out the scar tissue.

“It’s kind of the normal stuff you do on any injury,” Escobar said.

He needs to ready for anything. While he has never had more than nine catches, 134 yards or four touchdowns in a season, the blame doesn’t rest solely on him. The coaches have not been able to find the best way to utilize him more in an offense stacked with talent.

This is the final year of his contract, but Escobar is not thinking about the future, and the recent past has helped with that.

“I think that what an injury really teaches you is you just take it a day at a time,” Escobar said, “because you can’t look too far ahead and get down on yourself.”

Jiggyfly

Banned
Mailbag: How Is Rico Gathers Progressing? A More Aggressive Secondary?
Saturday, August 06, 2016 11:46 AM CDT
MATT WOOLSEY
CHARLOTTE, NC

Curious as to how Rico Gathers is looking now that camp is in full swing. I realize he has a ton to learn. Just wonder how he is handling things and settling in?
Rob: He’s working at it but everyone knows there's a ton of room for improvement, from his route running to his blitz pickup. In the “compete” period Friday he got bull-rushed into the backfield by newly-signed linebacker James Morris. Doesn’t look completely comfortable yet, but it’s the first time he has put on pads since eighth grade.

Bryan: Been learning. Making progress in some areas. Had a nice adjustment on a “HOT” read where he was in the slot, saw his man blitz and hooked up in order for the quarterback to get him the ball. Is figuring out that he has to play with his knees bent in order to block and holding on the backside of a running play is not a bad thing if you can get away with it.

DERRICK PRINGLE
MERIDIAN, MS

From afar, I've noticed faster, more aggressive play for the DB's while watching training camp video from DallasCowboys.com and I see a different group. Do you guys as well?
Rob: Seeing that, too. Morris Claiborne and Brandon Carr have really challenged the receivers on the outside. Claiborne, in particular, is playing with a ton of confidence and his technique is really sound. From an intangibles standpoint, I think Orlando Scandrick’s return gives this group an edge.
Bryan: There is no doubt that this group has been more aggressive playing the ball and the results have proved that. The key for them is going to see if they can continue with this style of play into the regular season but it has been a welcomed changed from what we have seen with them in the past.

Top Bottom