Hall of Fame Game canceled due to field conditions

data

Forbes #1
Goodell loves this. Perfect chance for international Hall of Fame game now.

dallen

Senior Tech
Goodell loves this. Perfect chance for international Hall of Fame game now.
All preseason games to be played in Iceland going forward

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just what we're the problems with the field? It didn't appear that anything obvious was showing.

DLK150

DCC 4Life

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I think I read somewhere that it had something to do with the paint or whatever.

I don't really GAS myself. So many overpaid players are being pampered like little babies. The players don't want to risk injury and the owners want to protect their investments.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000681448/article/hall-of-fame-game-canceled-due-to-field-concerns
Yeah the paint in the middle of the field turned hard like concrete they claimed. They then tried to remove it from the field. It xould have been ready but would have been a really late start

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
NFL Spokesman says HOF Game will remain in Canton

Posted by Zac Jackson on August 8, 2016, 4:10 PM EDT

NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Canton Repository Monday that the league has had “absolutely no discussions about moving the Hall of Fame Game out of Canton in the future.”

The game was canceled Sunday night due to poor field conditions at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, which is adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

Because the decision wasn’t made until about an hour before game time and because fans already inside the stadium weren’t notified until later, the whole situation was a debacle. McCarthy’s comments indicate the league won’t explore other alternatives as it sorts through Sunday’s mess.

The stadium and surrounding areas are going through a multi-phase renovation project. A high school team and two Div. II college programs who use the stadium are playing elsewhere during the 2016 season, and a new field was recently installed for the Hall of Fame Game.

If it was truly a botched paint job on the field that led to the game being canceled, as the league said, those involved have plenty of time to get things fixed and make sure something like what happened Sunday doesn’t happen again.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Yeah the paint in the middle of the field turned hard like concrete they claimed. They then tried to remove it from the field. It xould have been ready but would have been a really late start
I'm sure all the people that had already paid for tickets wouldn't care about a late start. I hope they will at least get their money back.

A good thing these players never had to play at Veteran's Stadium, which earned the nickname "Concrete Field" over time because the entire field was hard as a rock. That was where MI suffered his career ending injury.

That said, eh. It's just a dog and pony show like some of the other preseason games.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
NFL Spokesman says HOF Game will remain in Canton

Posted by Zac Jackson on August 8, 2016, 4:10 PM EDT

NFL Spokesman Brian McCarthy told the Canton Repository Monday that the league has had “absolutely no discussions about moving the Hall of Fame Game out of Canton in the future.”

The game was canceled Sunday night due to poor field conditions at Tom Benson Hall of Fame Stadium, which is adjacent to the Pro Football Hall of Fame in Canton.

Because the decision wasn’t made until about an hour before game time and because fans already inside the stadium weren’t notified until later, the whole situation was a debacle. McCarthy’s comments indicate the league won’t explore other alternatives as it sorts through Sunday’s mess.

The stadium and surrounding areas are going through a multi-phase renovation project. A high school team and two Div. II college programs who use the stadium are playing elsewhere during the 2016 season, and a new field was recently installed for the Hall of Fame Game.

If it was truly a botched paint job on the field that led to the game being canceled, as the league said, those involved have plenty of time to get things fixed and make sure something like what happened Sunday doesn’t happen again.
If they knew there were issues with the field to begin with, causing those Div II and high school teams to play elsewhere this year, then evidently those teams' programs are smarter than the NFL, which wouldn't surprise me.

Any talk about moving it out of Canton because of one botched paint job one year is inane. It was screwed up this year, fine. You've got almost a year to get your shat together then. Do it.

dallen

Senior Tech
The article I read said that the paint that had used wasn't drying as fast as they expected. Someone decided to try to use a heat gun to speed up the drying. The heat gun is what caused the field to turn hard because it melted a lot of the rubber pellets in the turf into a giant slab. After that one of the field crew decided to try to remove the paint with some kind of toxic paint thinner that causes severe burns when exposed to skin. Somebody from the Packers noticed the paint thinner and notified the rest of the team

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The article I read said that the paint that had used wasn't drying as fast as they expected. Someone decided to try to use a heat gun to speed up the drying. The heat gun is what caused the field to turn hard because it melted a lot of the rubber pellets in the turf into a giant slab. After that one of the field crew decided to try to remove the paint with some kind of toxic paint thinner that causes severe burns when exposed to skin. Somebody from the Packers noticed the paint thinner and notified the rest of the team
Yeah I just remember them saying on TV if they had another hour or so they could have the field ready to go.

By the way, I think it's funny that hard rubber or paint was such a big concern. Anybody that has played on the old astro turf knows that stuff was hard as a rock. It was basically like a short rug put over concrete. It's crazy how much the game has changed and how much more sensitive they are to the field surface.

I would have watched at least part of the game but it is pretty meaningless. That first preseason game always is.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
If that's the case, someone is out a job.

dallen

Senior Tech
If that's the case, someone is out a job.
Found the article:

According to several sources familiar with the field preparation, things went awry after the subsequent painting of logos in the middle of the field and in the end zones on Sunday. Improper paint may have been used, and when it did not seem to be drying quickly enough, someone apparently made the dubious decision to heat the field in an effort to dry it -- thus melting the rubber pellets inside the FieldTurf and creating a slick, sticky and (in Baker's words) "congealed" effect.

At one point about 2.5 hours before the game, stadium workers applied a substance that appeared to be paint thinner in an effort to remedy the issue. However, according to a Packers source, one Green Bay employee noticed a label that warned of severe burns when exposed to skin and took a photo of it, showing it to others after the teams later retreated to their respective locker rooms.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000681512/article/hall-of-fame-game-cancellation-was-right-decision?campaign=Twitter_atn

Top Bottom