Machota: Why was Cowboys RB Darren McFadden inactive vs. Giants?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why was Cowboys RB Darren McFadden inactive vs. Giants?
By Jon Machota , Staff Writer

ARLINGTON -- After watching offseason workouts, training camp and preseason games, it certainly appeared that Darren McFadden would be Ezekiel Elliott's backup this season.

McFadden has received the majority of the work with the second-team offense. When Elliott has been out, McFadden has worked with the starters.

But McFadden was inactive Sunday night and Alfred Morris, who has been the No. 3 back, was No. 2 behind Elliott.

"We just felt like as we went through training camp and the preseason that Alfred deserved this opportunity first," Cowboys coach Jason Garrett said. "That's no slight on Darren McFadden. We have a tremendous amount of confidence in him. But we just felt like if we're going to have three running backs up, we wanted Alfred Morris to be one of them. He handles himself well. He's a good football player."

Rod Smith was the third active running back over McFadden because of his contributions on special teams. Smith played two offensive snaps and 17 special teams snaps during Sunday night's 19-3 win over the New York Giants.

Morris was on the field for eight offensive snaps, rushing four times for one yard.

During the preseason, Morris ran 30 times for 158 yards. McFadden had 102 yards on 20 carries.

lostxn

DCC 4Life
4 carries

1 yard

I'm guessing Morris' presence is a major tell
In his defense, he didn't really have any opportunities. DMac wouldn't have gotten any more yards on those runs. Zeke would, but not much more. Maybe 4 carries 5 yards. Every RB needs blocking and Morris didn't' get that on his runs.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
In his defense, he didn't really have any opportunities. DMac wouldn't have gotten any more yards on those runs. Zeke would, but not much more. Maybe 4 carries 5 yards. Every RB needs blocking and Morris didn't' get that on his runs.
My point is Morris telegraphs run. It was the same thing in Washington.

MacFadden, while not nearly as physical or durable, is a lot more explosive, easily as good a blocker, and certainly a better receiver.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
My guess is that it has to do with how fumble prone the guy is.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Good point
And then when you factor the Giants defense and how tough our games were against them last year, and the staff probably wanted to do all it could to ensure we'd play a clean game.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
And then when you factor the Giants defense and how tough our games were against them last year, and the staff probably wanted to do all it could to ensure we'd play a clean game.
Yea, these tough divisional games probably are going to be "feed Zeke" games anyways.

Landry

DCC 4Life
Maybe they were trying to see if they could highlight him a little for a trade later on.

p1_

DCC 4Life
What's strange is McFadden was going to be the starter if Zeke had to serve the 6 games. What happened that demoted him to 4th position?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
My point is Morris telegraphs run. It was the same thing in Washington.

MacFadden, while not nearly as physical or durable, is a lot more explosive, easily as good a blocker, and certainly a better receiver.
I agree with you there. We need to run some play action with Morris in there. The defense is automatically assuming run when they see Morris and it should set up for a big play. It might not be his specialty but you have to at least show the threat of anything happening but a run to Morris when he is in the game.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
McFadden is the better player imo. When you take blocking and receiving into account, he's probably better by a lot.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think Morris is the better every down runner if he's gonna get 20 carries a game.

Situationally I think McFadden is the better player for third downs and occasional touches.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think Morris is the better every down runner if he's gonna get 20 carries a game.

Situationally I think McFadden is the better player for third downs and occasional touches.
I think that's accurate.

McFadden seems to make most of the spot duty whereas Morris would be the guy I'd rather have starting if Zeke couldn't go for whatever reason.

dallen

Senior Tech
I think McFadden is probably still the starter if Zeke goes down with Morris staying as change of pace. Morris is the better runner, but he is more of a liability in the passing game. I'd expect it to be a lot more of 50/50 split without Zeke though.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

Yeah Morris is the better pure runner. He just has a better feel for setting up blocks and hitting the holes. He is also more difficult to tackle.

But in situations McFadden is better. I think McFadden is the better battering ram when you need 1 yard. I think McFadden catches the ball better and he picks up blitzes better.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Yeah Morris is the better pure runner. He just has a better feel for setting up blocks and hitting the holes. He is also more difficult to tackle.

But in situations McFadden is better. I think McFadden is the better battering ram when you need 1 yard. I think McFadden catches the ball better and he picks up blitzes better.
All of the above. And don't forget McFadden as a receiver. Overall, outside of being able to take punishment I see no current advantage to Morris over McFadden.

Maybe there's something to what Landry posted about building up Morris' trade value.

It seems strange to risk rush attempts in meaningful games for what would at best be a conditional 7th round pick.

McFadden's preseason fumbles make the most sense as to why he's inactive at the end of the day.

And this coaching staff is stubborn as sun-baked shit-- we'll continue to see Morris, ineffective or not.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
All of the above. And don't forget McFadden as a receiver. Overall, outside of being able to take punishment I see no current advantage to Morris over McFadden.

Maybe there's something to what Landry posted about building up Morris' trade value.

It seems strange to risk rush attempts in meaningful games for what would at best be a conditional 7th round pick.

McFadden's preseason fumbles make the most sense as to why he's inactive at the end of the day.

And this coaching staff is stubborn as sun-baked shit-- we'll continue to see Morris, ineffective or not.
If Morris is going to be the backup we need to use him differently then we did against the Giants. He needs to get an entire series here or there. I just don't think he is a back that you bring in situationally for spot duty. As you mentioned it becomes too predictable. If you're going to use Morris get him on the field and have him stay in for the entire drive. Passing and running plays and let him get in a bit of a rhythm. I think that's the best way to use him. And honestly that's the best way to rest Elliott too in my opinion. Because I hate the idea of pulling Elliott off the field situationally as well because he is such a dynamic receiving threat. I don't want to pull him off the field every third down passing situation. He is too good to do that.

shane

DCC 4Life
My thought is they are saving McFadden to showcase him around the trade deadline so they can hopefully impress a team desperate for a runner to get a mid-round pick or two?

I like Morris but it doesn't seem like they run him the right way. He shouldn't be out there dancing like Zeke. Get your 3-4 yards efficiently up the gut or through the tackles.

Top Bottom