Sturm: Why the Cowboys' defense looked so good against Giants

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Why the Cowboys' defense looked so good against Giants
By Bob Sturm , Special contributor

Bob Sturm, SportsDayDFW.com contributor and co-host of BaD Radio weekdays from noon to 3 p.m. on SportsRadio 1310-AM and 96.7-FM The Ticket, gives his reactions to the Cowboys' win over the New York Giants on Sunday:

1) How on earth did the Cowboys defense look so good, even after losing Orlando Scandrick?

I think we saw really special performances from that defensive front. DeMarcus Lawrence, in particular, was really impressive coming from that left defensive end spot and then Maliek Collins was working well in tandem with him and helping collapse the pocket. This defensive line stays active and works in concert, so when they are all buzzing like they were tonight, they can really make things easier on the defensive backs. Now, if they can add to that the superb linebacker play that we saw from Sean Lee and then Jaylon Smith, it becomes a very fast and energetic defense.

The Giants have some real strategic issues with their lack of a running game and some less than fantastic pass protectors put a lot on of pressure on their offense. Take away Odell Beckham and they can't do enough to push you too hard. They have not scored 20 points in seven consecutive games now. They just don't scare you offensively at the moment. It is a good time to play that offense.

2) What do you think of Dak's first game as a sophomore?

He looked a little off all night on some of his throws. I wonder if he got enough game action in the preseason. But really, let's make sure we credit the Giants for pushing the Cowboys offense like they always do. Dak missed more throws than he normally does, but he also kept the ball away from the Giants and ultimately found some openings at key times. He makes really high percentage decisions and doesn't beat himself. The accuracy will return, but tonight was not his best work. If this is winning with his C+ game, then I think the Cowboys will happily take it. He was still the best QB on the field and that is what matters.

3) How key was having Ezekiel Elliott in the lineup?

It changes everything. You can see on those RPOs - Run Pass Options - that Zeke requires so much attention from the opponent that the passing lanes open right up behind the defensive front. He pushes the hole and runs so hard. I just think that he makes a significant difference every time he is on the field and now it appears they want to throw him the ball more than last year and really expand his powers. This could be a really big year for the young man. They could survive without him, but he brings it all together perfectly.

4) Where does Cole Beasley's catch rank on your list?

That was ridiculous. And it was a key play in the game. Let's not forget that was on a 3rd and 6 where a punt back to New York might have brought the game into doubt. I don't know how he caught that and I am not sure he knows. But, to have such a highlight moment on a key third down in the fourth quarter of a game like this pushes up its significance a few levels for me. Unreal concentration and ability.

5) Any other unsung heroes you want to mention?

There is no doubt that the efforts of Terrance Williams were overlooked and that fine play by Brice Butler. Beyond that, the secondary was solid, but possibly untested. Anthony Brown was excellent and the punter Chris Jones pinned the Giants deep a few times.

I really liked what we saw in the first game. To get a divisional win in the bank already against your rival should likely be something that isn't terribly nitpicked. But, of course, who am I kidding? Nitpicking comes with the territory.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Props to the defense for doing what they had to do, but honestly, I thought the Giants and Eli were just horrific. I watched a lot of games yesterday and didn't see anyone look that inept. (Colts and Jets, maybe?)

Eli almost looked scared, like he didn't want to be out there that much. Wonder if this is the beginning of his downhill slide. But as up and down as he can be, he might throw for 400 next week.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Props to the defense for doing what they had to do, but honestly, I thought the Giants and Eli were just horrific. I watched a lot of games yesterday and didn't see anyone look that inept. (Colts and Jets, maybe?)

Eli almost looked scared, like he didn't want to be out there that much. Wonder if this is the beginning of his downhill slide. But as up and down as he can be, he might throw for 400 next week,
He and that offense were pretty poor last season, so it wouldn't surprise me if it were more of the same this season.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Props to the defense for doing what they had to do, but honestly, I thought the Giants and Eli were just horrific. I watched a lot of games yesterday and didn't see anyone look that inept.
Reminded me of Seattle vs Green Bay. Aikman and Buck were jizzing themselves over the Packers D, but Seattle just looks average at best.

Top Bottom