Cowboys could pursue Foles after Kellen Moore suffers broken ankle

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys could pursue Foles after Kellen Moore suffers broken ankle

Posted by Zac Jackson on August 2, 2016, 9:14 PM EDT

Cowboys backup quarterback Kellen Moore was carted off the practice field Tuesday, and Cowboys owner Jerry Jones confirmed that Moore suffered a broken right ankle.

Jones did not address how the team would handle the absence of Moore going forward, but the injury will invite speculation that the Cowboys will pursue free agent quarterback Nick Foles.

Last week, Jones said the Cowboys would not be pursuing Foles.

Either rookie Dak Prescott, a fourth-round pick in April, or first-year player Jameill Showers will become the Cowboys’ No. 2 quarterback for now. Starting quarterback Tony Romo is on a limited camp schedule as is, and the Cowboys learned last year that they needed to have a better situation behind Romo.

Moore, 27, made his first two NFL starts for the Cowboys last season. He’d previously been a backup with the Lions.

The Cowboys could potentially explore a trade — by pure speculation, names like Josh McCown and Geno Smith come to mind — if they don’t end up adding Foles. Free agent Michael Vick has been campaigning for the chance to play another year, too.
---------------

Please. Going to be hard to woo Foles when the owner basically said "he wouldn't get any snaps here" versus the likes of Moore, Prescott and Showers.

I don't give a crap about Moore, honestly. We all knew he was not capable of more than mop up duty.

Now, this just potentially forces Jerry panic, and that is never a good thing.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Fuck it, just put Morris and Zeke back there and go Wildcat when Tony goes down. The laughs of seeing Garrett meltdown at being unable to process not passing will be worth it alone

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Not sure you have to woo Foles aside from offering him nearly a million dollars to ride the pine behind Romo. Not a lot of other suitors right now it seems and I'm sure he'd want a paycheck.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Fuck it, just put Morris and Zeke back there and go Wildcat when Tony goes down. The laughs of seeing Garrett meltdown at being unable to process not passing will be worth it alone
Zeke strained his hamstring today too. :art

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Not sure you have to woo Foles aside from offering him nearly a million dollars to ride the pine behind Romo. Not a lot of other suitors right now it seems and I'm sure he'd want a paycheck.
Yeah, but now Jones has to put a few extra zeroes on the check since he basically insulted the guy.

townsend

Banned
If this forces us to actually sign a real backup it might be the best timed injury the Cowboys could have hoped for.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
I know he was penciled in as the backup but it's not as big of a loss as all the ****heads on defense that got themselves suspended to start the season.

I'm not a gambling man but I would almost lay money down that Jerrah just rolls with Romo, Prescott and Showers. One of the latter two will be inactive on game days if we keep three QBs anyway. In a way, I would like to see what we have in Prescott and Showers. I don't have sky high hopes for them or anything but who knows?

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We drafted Dak to back Romo up

So you play Dak.

Yeah he's going to be bad, but not relative to Foles who is currently not on an NFL roster.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I look at it as a potential blessing in disguise.

This should lead to more reps for Prescott. We already know what we have in Moore, which isn't much. I'd rather accelerate the development of a young guy like Prescott who still carries potential rather than farting around with schlub like Kellen Moore.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I know he was penciled in as the backup but it's not as big of a loss as all the ****heads on defense that got themselves suspended to start the season.

I'm not a gambling man but I would almost lay money down that Jerrah just rolls with Romo, Prescott and Showers. One of the latter two will be inactive on game days if we keep three QBs anyway. In a way, I would like to see what we have in Prescott and Showers. I don't have sky high hopes for them or anything but who knows?
Yeah but you need 4 QBs for camp. Its a standard thing just because there are so many throws to be made. Especially with Romo taking every other day for rest. We will have to bring someone in, even if they are cut by the start of the season.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Archer tweeted about potentially trading for one.

Yay! Another trading frenzy. We would get raped so not really fond of that idea.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Archer tweeted about potentially trading for one.

Yay! Another trading frenzy. We would get raped so not really fond of that idea.
I'd love to throw away another fifth round pick on a one year rental who is no better then what we already have or a guy off the streets. I'd rather start Dak then trade for someone.

dallen

Senior Tech
We aren't trading for anyone better than Foles. Maybe we can call Jon Kitna again

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I'd love to throw away another fifth round pick on a one year rental who is no better then what we already have or a guy off the streets. I'd rather start Dak then trade for someone.
Yep. The organization apparently drafted him for this reason. Install him now and give him plenty of TC reps under the guise of resting Romo s back. Let him start in the preseason to get the apprehensionsof real time worked out.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Yep. The organization apparently drafted him for this reason. Install him now and give him plenty of TC reps under the guise of resting Romo s back. Let him start in the preseason to get the apprehensionsof real time worked out.
The hard thing is Dak is really the type of QB who should sit a year. An NFL offense is just so different from the Tim Tebow offense he ran in college. But I would hope we at least learned our lesson with Cassel last year who proved to be no better if not worse then Weeden or Moore who were both freebies. No NFL team is going to give away a good backup. The only ones that will be offered are trash like Cassel was.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Prescott should get maximum preseason reps but in no way is he ready to play in actual games. Foles more or less sucks but I'd much rather have him play for 2-3 games if Romo gets hurt than Prescott.

Top Bottom